History Rewritten (Original Thread)

Well, there's already Three Gorges Dam, except Itaipu was built about 40 years earlier. And Hoover 30 years before that. There should be a research for 'Concrete'

Yes ! But why not three level wonders with same purpose ?
By example more power is more expensive...
Serre-Ponçon Dam <- Hoover Dam <- Itaipu Dam <- Three Gorges Dam...
Notate that the Biggest Dam of France, Serre-Ponçon Dam was buit in 50-60s i forgotten when... What about on an event "Malpasset type" with Dam, after all Dam can be destroyed like Nuke Power Plants...

are all pretty much variations on the same thing. One idea may be to make these national wonders but give them unique names per civilization.
What about, i agree with you, with national wonders figuring financial places ? The City, Quartier de la Défense, Burj Khalifa, Mannhatan... But you can also make different World Wonders with different levels of power but same purposes...

would be useful, but might overpower Civs. An idea would be to have each Civ only be allowed to have 2 or 3.
I agree with you and should conditioned by ressources, effectively only in your territory...

4 What about Gas Power Plants ? More clean than coal but produce less than coal and can explode like this had exploded in Middletown, USA, near Washington recently...
It was although a new beginning gas power plant ;)

Figured out why I wasn't seeing the pink squares in the Religions Advisor. I have BUG set to only show religions that are founded and the problem only affected unfounded religions. Basically unfounded religions use a different button file which I didn't realize because there is no direct reference to them in the xml or the advisor screen layout. Easily fixed for 0.2.

Ok, nice :goodjob:

what are your plan for 0.2 ? And when will be ready ?

Custom calendars by religion or civ ?

Example i believe that for Hinduism is 2610 instead of 2010 for Christians, and 5770 for the Hebrews...
And anything like 14XX for Muslims....

And the other possibility is acting date after the foundation of the Capital of one given civ like 1000 AUC is 247 AD...

A very small but nice and realistic change is to add to the ArtDefineTerrain.XML that line :

Look for the line ART_DEF_PLAINS, Add this under those lines:

<TerrainArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_TERRAIN_DRY_PLAINS</Type>
<Path>Art/Terrain/Textures/Light/PlainsBlend.dds</Path>
<Grid>Art/Terrain/Textures/PlainsGrids.dds</Grid>
<Detail>Art/Terrain/Textures/PlainsDETAIL.dds</Detail>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/BaseTerrain/Plains.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/BaseTerrain_TerrainFeatures_Atlas.dds,8,1</Button>
<LayerOrder>3</LayerOrder>
<AlphaShader>0</AlphaShader>
<TextureBlend01>8,0</TextureBlend01>
<TextureBlend02>1,0</TextureBlend02>
<TextureBlend04>6,0</TextureBlend04>
<TextureBlend08>5,0</TextureBlend08>
<TextureBlend03>2,0</TextureBlend03>
<TextureBlend06>10,0</TextureBlend06>
<TextureBlend12>12,0</TextureBlend12>
<TextureBlend09>9,0</TextureBlend09>
<TextureBlend07>3,0</TextureBlend07>
<TextureBlend14>14,0</TextureBlend14>
<TextureBlend13>11,0</TextureBlend13>
<TextureBlend11>4,0</TextureBlend11>
<TextureBlend10>7,0</TextureBlend10>
<TextureBlend05>13,0</TextureBlend05>
<TextureBlend15>15,0 16,0 18,0 19,0 20,0 21,0 22,0 23,0 24,0 25,0 26,0 27,0 28,0 29,0 30,0 31,0 32,0</TextureBlend15>
</TerrainArtInfo>
You have to change the LayerOrder number, this new Art Terrain is layerOrder 3,
then change the LayerOrder number of the others Art Terrain lines.
(grassland 5, plains 4, dry plains 3, desert 2, tundra 1, snow 6)

Add the corresponding change in XML Terrain (TerrainInfo.XML=>add DRY_PLAINS).

This will add a realistic look & gameplay to scenarios.

Most of the deserts in Civ4 are not in reality deserts, mongolia, central asia, most of arabia and egypt, texas & north west mexico, are "semi desertic terrains".

Also these terrains are for the nomadic peoples there favorite lands.
Would be interesting to make realistic scenarios.

This change will not run with mapgenerator.
But run with worldbuilder scenarios.

....hate to add to that known issue list but as near as I can tell, the Persian Cavalry unit displays as the Grenadier unit. The unit icon is just fine, and the unit operates just like cavalry, it just looks like a Grenadier!

Thanks for the report on this! Fixed in 0.2.

Ok, nice :goodjob:

what are your plan for 0.2 ? And when will be ready ?
0.2 will mostly about adding the things that weren't finished for 0.1, such as America, ship art, and custom diplomacy text. Hungary and Israel will be added. I want to add new leader traits too but some of them will probably be placeholders to begin with. I'd like to have 0.2 out by the end of next week (28th or thereabouts)

Custom calendars by religion or civ ?

Example i believe that for Hinduism is 2610 instead of 2010 for Christians, and 5770 for the Hebrews...
And anything like 14XX for Muslims....

And the other possibility is acting date after the foundation of the Capital of one given civ like 1000 AUC is 247 AD...

Calendar changes are notorious for breaking multiplayer compatibility and for the time being I don't think it's important enough to warrant messing with. Maybe in future though.

A very small but nice and realistic change is to add to the ArtDefineTerrain.XML that line :

I'll keep this in mind if I add any maps. Does this work with Blue Marble terrain?

Finally i will wait for Mac version of CivV...

I hope your mod will progress still much :goodjob:

Keep moding :king:

I play your mod on Ban Tasi Map... It's very nice :goodjob:

What about adding Saints and Sinners Mod ?

Little bump : any news here ?

What do you think to possible inclusion of Saints and Sinners Mod ?

What do you think from the possibility to have included Earth Maps or Fictive Maps, all based in your mod ?

20h02min00 : here a pre-crash save

in 0.10 version of your mod with 3.19BTS...

"Bad allocation memory failure"

mine is 4Go Ram...

I notice pink antitank and white buildings on the incan cities...

Attachments

• Incan-1980.CivBeyondSwordSave.zip
    901.6 KB · Views: 128
Little bump : any news here ?

Nearly ready with 0.2. Changing/adding traits has taken longer than expected as they're tricky to balance and I delved heavily into Python for some which has been a learning curve. Mostly I just need to test it now.

What do you think to possible inclusion of Saints and Sinners Mod ?

I had a look at this and it looks like it has a DLL and hasn't been updated to 3.19. There are some cool ideas in there though that could be worth replicating. Bookmarked.

What do you think from the possibility to have included Earth Maps or Fictive Maps, all based in your mod ?

I definitely want to add maps, but I need to focus on the core mod first. I'd like to add new resources in future so it may be best to wait til then for maps.

20h02min00 : here a pre-crash save

in 0.10 version of your mod with 3.19BTS...

"Bad allocation memory failure"

mine is 4Go Ram...

Thanks for the saved game. I can replicate this crash too, it seems to be an interface error, possibly related to BUG or to a texture it's trying to load. In 0.2 I've upgraded BUG to 4.3 so I'll see if the crash still happens with that.

I notice pink antitank and white buildings on the incan cities...

Pink antitank is fixed in 0.2. The white buildings affect most Central/South American civs in the modern era and is related to a single texture file. Unfortunately I just cannot for the life of me figure out why it's doing it. The same texture works without issue on Windows BTS.

Nice answers, i stay tuned, i will restart a new game on small random map with 18 Civs...

Great mod!
You have pink boxes for the Byzantine Cataphract, and the Sioux Axeman...

I'd spotted the Cataphract but not the Axeman. Thanks for this, I shall fix them right now.

On another topic, I've put more time and thought into designing the traits than I originally intended to and this is what's been holding up the release of 0.2. I realized though that getting the traits wrong could severely unbalance the game so I've decided to get them as good as possible before releasing. I've added 5 new traits (Diplomatic, Enterprising, Humane, Judicial, Tactical) and I've redesigned all the default ones except Charismatic and Philosophical. I've started a thread requesting feedback and balancing advice over on the C&C forums, if anyone is interested please go have a look and give me your thoughts.

The thread is here: Balancing Leader Traits

I'd spotted the Cataphract but not the Axeman. Thanks for this, I shall fix them right now.

On another topic, I've put more time and thought into designing the traits than I originally intended to and this is what's been holding up the release of 0.2. I realized though that getting the traits wrong could severely unbalance the game so I've decided to get them as good as possible before releasing. I've added 5 new traits (Diplomatic, Enterprising, Humane, Judicial, Tactical) and I've redesigned all the default ones except Charismatic and Philosophical. I've started a thread requesting feedback and balancing advice over on the C&C forums, if anyone is interested please go have a look and give me your thoughts.

The thread is here: Balancing Leader Traits

Colonies appear rarely in game, what about allowing colonies of only one or two cities, like by exemple on tile island could be a colony...

What about Barbarian Civs or Puppet States Mod ? For Barbarian Civs it has the possibility to have no .dll version, I dont know for Puppet States ;)

Colonies appear rarely in game, what about allowing colonies of only one or two cities, like by exemple on tile island could be a colony...

What about Barbarian Civs or Puppet States Mod ? For Barbarian Civs it has the possibility to have no .dll version, I dont know for Puppet States ;)

I think colonies are a very underused mechanic with a ton of interesting possibilities. Unfortunately there seems to be next to no access to this functionality in xml or python, so any changes would probably need a DLL change, like the Revolutions mod :(

Quite a few mods use Barbarians settling into full civilizations as the Sea Peoples/Huns/Pirates/etc. It's possible in Python but it does require removing one normal AI civ to achieve it. It's something I'd like to look into eventually.

About "barbarian civ" nothing impeach to fix the start to 4 Civs on all map sizes, because in 4000 BC it were only three or two big civs IRL...
So, ten civs appearing through the ages should be not a problem...

And for Revolutions none impeach to have hardcoded prerequistes for rebelling cities like too long time in civil disorder, too much unhappy peoples, too far from the capital, or simply Bankruptcy of a civilization, nothing impeach you to have your proper set of coding to enabling that...

What about permitting buying cities at rate 1 pop = 100 gold, 2 pop = 200 gold and 25 pop = 2500 gold ? Not too cheap not too expensive...

0.2 is now available to download! Apologies for the long delays on this version, mostly because I ended up needing to learn rudimentry Python.

0.2 Changes

Added
  • New civilizations: Hungary, Israel
  • New leaders: Agamemnon, Alp Arslan, Attila, Chandragupta, Corvin Mátyás, Herod, Joshua, Kossuth, Marcus Aurelius, Solomon
  • New traits: Diplomatic, Enterprising, Humane, Judicial, Tactical
  • New units: Battering Ram, Siege Tower, Galleass
  • Ships now have regional art variation (pre-Ironclad)
  • America now has some custom unit art
  • Nubia now has a UU, the Medjay (Archer replacement)
  • Most leaders now have customized diplomacy text
  • Upgraded to BUG 4.3
Changed
  • All standard traits redesigned/rebalanced except Charismatic and Philosophical
  • Almost every leader has new traits and personalities adjusted to suit
  • America has new button and flag
  • Xoc has improved animations and shaders
  • Renamed a few empires as confederacies
  • Workers and Workboats no longer reveal tiles
  • Maceman renamed Heavy Footman
  • Phalanx renamed Hoplite and given a new button
  • Praetorian renamed Legionary, strength reduced slightly, cost increased, able to build roads
  • Quechua's bonus versus Archery units is reduced to 50%
  • Immortals have been remade as a melee unit, replacing the Axeman
  • Mech Inf now requires oil like all other vehicles
  • Several civs have new Skirmisher graphics
  • All missionaries now have religion specific names
  • New missionary graphics for Druidism, Olympianism, Shamanism, Toltecayotl
  • Used some of the standard BTS unit art more effectively
  • Numerous Civilopedia changes
Fixed
  • Should now be more compatible with maps that demand specific civilizations
  • Persian Cavalry is no longer a Grenadier
  • Polynesian button and flag now match
  • Sioux UU (Mounted Brave) now has unique stats and a new button
  • Several unit buttons fixed
  • No more pink squares in the Religions Advisor

And now to get started on 0.3! Here's a list, subject to change, of what I'd like to achieve with it:

• Compatibility with Windows BTS
  • More civs (Assyria, Berbers, Phoenicia, Tibet are possible candidates)
  • Add leaders to under represented civs like the Aztecs, Dutch, Vikings, etc
  • Redesign certain civs (e.g Ottomans -> Turks)
  • Overhaul the city lists
  • Add Unique National Wonders
  • Reorganize and add some wonders/shrines
  • Redesign the first half of the tech tree
  • Add the maps with realistic starting positions
  • Add selection sounds and music to new civs
  • Add/finish lots of missing and incomplete Civilopedia text.

As I mentioned in the other thread, if the maps addon is easy to merge I can put it up as a mini-patch for those interested. I'll take a look at it this evening.

Nice, will downloading in 1 second.
;)

Top Bottom