General News Regarding China & Hong Kong

I think the one on the building says:
You! Make China Ascendant!

Looks like a fun place to stay.
Does it say "Again" after "Ascendant"? ;)

No, that would be the YMCAA, where the alcoholics live.
You lost me in translation a little, but at least you know your languages ;)

Hong Kong arrests group including teenagers over alleged terror plot
Hong Kong police have arrested nine people including six high school children over an alleged terrorist plot.
Members of the group are aged between 15 and 39 years old.
Police said they had rented a room in a hotel to build bombs and planned to attack the city's courts,
transport networks and streets.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57732751

Some clarification by China on how...
Western media misinterpret 'one country, two systems'
"One country, two systems" is never something that will turn Hong Kong into an independent or semi-independent
place; Just the contrary; it is a security line that protects Hong Kong and its 7.47 million people from the
evil hands of foreign-backed political forces and secessionists.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1227704.shtml

Except western media didn't misinterpret it, and doesn't misinterpret it. China just lied about it all.

Except western media didn't misinterpret it, and doesn't misinterpret it. China just lied about it all.
Oh yeah, China told everybody that HK would continue being Little Britain.
Except for that one time when Maggie Thatcher was told to stop pretending that the UK had any choice in what would happen after handover.

Oh yeah, China told everybody that HK would continue being Little Britain.
No, they said they would continue for 50 years:
  • Independant legislative system
  • Universal suffrage
  • People's rights and freedoms including:
    • Freedom of speech
    • Freedom of the press and of publication
    • Freedom of association
    • Freedom of assembly
    • Freedom of procession, of demonstration, of communication, of movement, of conscience

No. Recycling 'news' from 2 years ago.

Only need 4 guys to be considered a large enough group to be able to use 'flocking' to a location?

Fact: It is known who these guys are.
Fact: They were in Hong Kong.

Motivations for them being there, and who, if anyone, was funding them is in dispute/not known. There have been claims, with no evidence. There have been statements made from the neo nazis themselves that they were there to 'observe' and 'learn'. While, I don't think even if they did do more than that (organizing, participating) they would admit it (not while still in Hong Kong at least!), I haven't seen evidence of them doing more than taking selfies.

There is no evidence the US was paying for their trip. A narrative started on a random Russian blog, spread by Russian media (and their supporters), then spread again on Chinese media when it was realized it could be used to help make the protests look illegitimate.

https://euvsdisinfo.eu/report/u-sending-nazi-militants-azov-battalion-to-hong-kong-protests/

More detailed, seemingly neutral article:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/zmj...nian-fascists-doing-in-the-hong-kong-protests

A narrative started on a random Russian blog, spread by Russian media (and their supporters)
I don't see it spread by Russian media - in fact CFC is the first place where I'm reading it.
Russian media is rather indifferent to Hong Kong protests, aside of usual irony about the West trying to bring "democracy and freedom" to yet another place and that the locals should now beware not to end up like Iraqis or Libyans.
Whether US is paying them or not is irrelevant, more interesting is that their presence in Hong Kong was confirmed and that Neo-Nazis seem to have no doubt which side they should support.

I don't see it spread by Russian media - in fact CFC is the first place where I'm reading it.
Russian media is rather indifferent to Hong Kong protests, aside of usual irony about the West trying to bring "democracy and freedom" to yet another place and that the locals should now beware not to end up like Iraqis or Libyans.
Whether US is paying them or not is irrelevant, more interesting is that their presence in Hong Kong was confirmed and that Neo-Nazis seem to have no doubt which side they should support.

https://sputniknews.com/asia/201912...ian-neo-nazis-joining-the-hong-kong-protests/
https://sputniknews.com/analysis/20...joining-hong-kong-protests-hardly-surprising/

Dec 2 and 3, before chinese media reported the Ukranians being in Hong Kong on Dec 4 and 5.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1172308.shtml
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201912/05/WS5de8ef1fa310cf3e3557c3f0.html

aside of usual irony about the West trying to bring "democracy and freedom" to yet another place

So, who is the 'west' you are referring to that sent these men to Hong Kong.

No, they said they would continue for 50 years:
  • Independant legislative system
  • Universal suffrage
  • People's rights and freedoms including:
    • Freedom of speech
    • Freedom of the press and of publication
    • Freedom of association
    • Freedom of assembly
    • Freedom of procession, of demonstration, of communication, of movement, of conscience
I posted before:
During later negotiations in 1982, Deng Xiaoping told Thatcher that her demands for various concessions for Hong Kong would ultimately be irrelevant, and that the CCP could take control in one day if the Brits continued trying to deny China complete sovereignty.

He didn't lie about that.

To Thatcher's reply that such an action would lead to the "collapse of Hong Kong", Premier Zhao Ziyang told her to stop imagining that there was a choice between full sovereignty or the economic viability and stability of Hong Kong.

The CCP won't offer concessions to the Brits on matters in their own country if they don't view it is in their own interests.
You keep acting as if the UK's prior "ownership" of HK has any bearing on decisions the CCP made about HK.
Is it because you believe that the UK won HK fairly and squarely in a war?

You keep acting as if the UK's prior "ownership" of HK has any bearing on decisions the CCP made about HK.
Is it because you believe that the UK won HK fairly and squarely in a war?
If I gave that impression I apologise. I care for the people of Hong Kong, and the fact that China made commitments and is no longer even pretending to stick to them is worth pointing out, in the forlorn hope that anything we say or do matters in the slightest way.

If I gave that impression I apologise. I care for the people of Hong Kong, and the fact that China made commitments and is no longer even pretending to stick to them is worth pointing out, in the forlorn hope that anything we say or do matters in the slightest way.

It won't make any difference. Just hope the mainlanders don't get sick of HKers, who they already view as having conditions
far in advance of the hundreds of millions who are barely out of poverty. China will take what it likes about Western
methods and they'll reject what doesn't suit. Just like Vietnam did after the war with the US and its poodles.

Forcing Western methods and systems on some nations is a very fraught undertaking when you can't guarantee overwhelming
numbers in support. If you try it without that overwhelming support you might end up with a mountain of skulls, like what
happened in Cambodia where all those who even looked like they were part of the Western influence were pulled out, root branch
and tree, and slaughtered.

The people of HK are acting like political Karens phoning the US and UK to send the World's Police to bash the evil CCP. :p

It won't make any difference. Just hope the mainlanders don't get sick of HKers, who they already view as having conditions
far in advance of the hundreds of millions who are barely out of poverty. China will take what it likes about Western
methods and they'll reject what doesn't suit. Just like Vietnam did after the war with the US and its poodles.

Forcing Western methods and systems on some nations is a very fraught undertaking when you can't guarantee overwhelming
numbers in support. If you try it without that overwhelming support you might end up with a mountain of skulls, like what
happened in Cambodia where all those who even looked like they were part of the Western influence were pulled out, root branch
and tree, and slaughtered.

The people of HK are acting like political Karens phoning the US and UK to send the World's Police to bash the evil CCP. :p
It is the people of Hong Kong we are talking primarily about here. If they are asking for anything it is not being forced on them. If they want to put their lives on the line in protesting, and "phoning the US and UK to send the World's Police" then they are doing what they feel is in their best long term political interests. If that makes them Karens then so are most political movements. There is the risk is violent crackdown, but those skulls shall be those of the "Karens" and everything we can do to keep their plight in the public view reduces the chance of that.

It is the people of Hong Kong we are talking primarily about here. If they are asking for anything it is not being forced on them. If they want to put their lives on the line in protesting, and "phoning the US and UK to send the World's Police" then they are doing what they feel is in their best long term political interests. If that makes them Karens then so are most political movements. There is the risk is violent crackdown, but those skulls shall be those of the "Karens" and everything we can do to keep their plight in the public view reduces the chance of that.
The issue is that they are acting as if they they are independent of the rest of China - they're not.
And if what they think is in their long-term interests doesn't square with what the CCP thinks is
in the long term interests of China as a whole, then they will lose spectacularly.
Calling on other nations (and ones China views as hostile!) to liberate HK counts as sedition in the
Chinese system and likely would be subject to legal sanctions under many other legal systems.

The issue is that they are acting as if they they are independent of the rest of China - they're not.
And if what they think is in their long-term interests doesn't square with what the CCP thinks is
in the long term interests of China as a whole, then they will lose spectacularly.
Calling on other nations (and ones China views as hostile!) to liberate HK counts as sedition in the
Chinese system and likely would be subject to legal sanctions under many other legal systems.
The political legitimacy of the People's Republic of China is nil, non-existant.

In Sweden/France? I think the CCP would agree with you.

I'm sure that Sweden and France are just about to recognize the independence of Catalonia. And sanction Spain for arresting the peaceful pro-independence leaders there. Any time now, any time, you'll see :rotfl:

Right after France engages with the pro-independence movements of Corsica. I mean, engages in other way than arresting them for "terrorism". It's not that the locals were terrorized (they're quite used to killing each other apparently), the french state was "terrorized". And reacted by repressing the separatists.

@Verbose Don't you get tired of being the spokesmen of the hypocrites in this Europe of ours?

Top Bottom