How are Millennials resetting the cultural agenda?

there might be really no hope for these new generations .

Spoiler :

30-10-2022.jpg

Haven’t been afforded a real opportunity to. It’s the age of the corporation. Corporation has all the social leverage; what they say goes.

Millennials are just along for that ride.

Haven’t been afforded a real opportunity to. It’s the age of the corporation. Corporation has all the social leverage; what they say goes.

Millennials are just along for that ride.
This.

Millennials are still too young; they haven't advanced to the echelons of power yet; CEOs, executives, political leadership. To paraphrase one of Lincoln's quotes, we won't know the character of this generation, until it is given true power and opportunity to enforce change to the status quo.

This.

Millennials are still too young; they haven't advanced to the echelons of power yet; CEOs, executives, political leadership. To paraphrase one of Lincoln's quotes, we won't know the character of this generation, until it is given true power and opportunity to enforce change to the status quo.

I disagree. I don't think humans are in control of corporations, and that there is no way to find "good" people, promote them, and put them in charge to have the corporations behave in a "good" manner.

They are resistant to pro-social behaviour due to management structures like CEO vs. Board vs. Shareholders that recruits humans to watch the other humans to keep them acting in the corporations interest.

It is obviously imperfect and fails plenty often, but it does create successful predators that resist reform.

Generations are a marketing invention
I can see the logic.

Still, the way tech has evolved, and shifted forms and frequencies of communication, if generations weren’t real before, they are now. Method of communication has a considerable impact on social structure IMO

I can see the logic.

Still, the way tech has evolved, and shifted forms and frequencies of communication, if generations weren’t real before, they are now. Method of communication has a considerable impact on social structure IMO

I have yet to see an internet phenomenon that doesn't have an analog parallel or precedent. For example, judging from how covered with graffiti most surviving ancient buildings seem to be, posting memes is a millennia-old activity.

also can please someone just +1 lexicus here because it's been here since the invention of teenagers

each new generation is just that reiterated as a new market; earlier teenagers is later teenagers as a market

like, it also relates outside lexi here - it's more of a simplification - but the sheer relative importance of this is, well, relatively important

i still hold that the youngest today are really bright. they just are.

Yarrr. They are.

I disagree. I don't think humans are in control of corporations, and that there is no way to find "good" people, promote them, and put them in charge to have the corporations behave in a "good" manner.

They are resistant to pro-social behaviour due to management structures like CEO vs. Board vs. Shareholders that recruits humans to watch the other humans to keep them acting in the corporations interest.

It is obviously imperfect and fails plenty often, but it does create successful predators that resist reform.
Well, respectfully I made no claim about Millennials developing into 'good' people in my post. :)

What I wrote, was that no one knows what mark they will leave behind. You can't write an obituary in advance for a generation that has only lived through the first third of its lifespan. Well, you can, but don't expect it to be accurate then. The Baby Boomers demonstrated that a generation can have a rather drastic impact here and now and beyond; they more or less owned the 1980s, Reaganomics, peace in Europe, the rejuvenation of Japan and Germany as industrial powers, the fall of the USSR and rejected what they considered the failed politics and values of their parents.

The Millennials won't get to that point in their trajectory until the 2030s. By then we will have some idea of what they really want.

Clinton was somewhat of an outlier in terms of age of birth and at reaching office; Clinton was born in 1946 and was elected in ‘92–the median has been about 55 for most of the nation’s history, and assuming the Millennial generation started in 1980 the likely earliest we’ll see one is in 2032.

It’s possible it’ll happen before, or later, but just looking at the averages sometime between 2032-2040 seems the most likely.

There wasn’t a boomer president until Clinton
No, but Reagan prospered from his landslide election win in 1980, a feat he couldn't have accomplished without the eldest segment of the Boomers on his side. They practically reinvented and rebranded The Republican Party. Remember that these are some of the same people who demonstrated against the Vietnam War and 'the establishment' in the late 60s and 70s; back then they considered the President a war criminal, a force of malice.

The Boomers also carried Reagan into his second term (by something like 53-54% voting for his re-election, I believe) and shaped the decade as a whole. When the younger Boomers started voting in greater numbers, the scales tipped in favor of the Democrats and they kind of reinvented The Democrats as well with Clinton as the figurehead. Recently, Trump has reinvented the GOP yet again (some will say hijacked), while the Democrats are somewhat in a political midstream. They are looking for a project or cause to rally the voters like Clinton did.

Tattoos. Piercings. Pod casts. Streaming services. Online spending and banking.

To me, those are the big standouts (I have two Millennial daughters). Other than that, no different from generations. Just as many conservative Millennial as every other generation.

Especially when they shrank the generation so they could excite the younger millennials into thinking they weren’t millennials,

While isolating us, the group that suffered the most from lost wages etc due to business cycle timings, so that in 20 years we can seem like the “bad one” in the family.

Top Bottom