[RD] How comfortable are you with change?

Synobun

Deity
Change is inevitable, even if you stay put.

But our tolerances for change, and our preferences for change, can differ despite that reality.

How comfortable are you with change? Do you welcome it? Do you resist it? How much change can you handle before it gets too much?

And, if you're willing to share, what change in your life was most impactful in either a positive or negative sense? How did you handle that change?

But our tolerances for change, and our preferences for change, can differ despite that reality.

How comfortable are you with change? Do you welcome it? Do you resist it? How much change can you handle before it gets too much?

And, if you're willing to share, what change in your life was most impactful in either a positive or negative sense? How did you handle that change?

What doesn't change is bound to be destroyed.
And yes, I think no one likes change.

Apt lyrics by Therapy? :
"Running after things you never had,
losing every single thing that you ever had"

Change is a bit like money in the sense that you better budget it and keep reserves.
For yourself and if in that role: for others.

Changes you initiate yourself much "cheaper" in cost than changes imposed on you by others (especially if in the wrong way) or by circumstances.

Succesful changes refuelling.
Perhaps at a rate that you can stomach 1 unsuccesful change per 4 succesful changes ?

I think you can best see it as a social skill towards yourself or to others.
Something you can learn.

Life is a rollercoaster anyway.

And having a toast on anything that failed or succeeded a good habit anyway :)

Unconscious change happens all the time, and often is very crucial.
Conscious change usually (if not always) is brought about by reacting to how you identify specific external states having to do with you.
In the end (imo) you don't know yourself much, cause no one does. The goal is to be in some degree in harmony with what is around you.
Remember: score is counted only when you die, and chances are you didn't have enough coins to get to the hall of fame in this peripheral arcade.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's not the change that's bothersome, it's the attachment to the things which might be lost in the transition. I was an army brat so I bounced around a lot growing up and while I would sometimes be excited to move somewhere new, I was frequently bothered by losing friends and familiar places. I find even now that my attachment to my apartment and to the town I live in and the job title I had caused me a lot more heartbreak in the long run than if I had been flexible and willing to part with these things months ago. I was deeply unhappy where I was with work and yet so attached to the other things that I stayed on until I wore out my welcome and now am potentially worse off for it.

I feel like my whole life I have been searching for stability and a place to put down roots that I missed the chief lesson of my upbringing - that the roots and stability are an illusion. Everything can change in a heartbeat - even when you 'do everything right'- and becoming attached to things, places and most people is a recipe for unhappiness in the long run. I have to learn to embrace change by letting go of the attachments which hold me back as they will always let me down. At least with change, there will usually be some good mixed in with the bad and being open to those good things can help you live a more fulfilling life.

Unconscious change happens all the time, and often is very crucial.

Yes
That's why I like to toast.
It helps being aware of the changes you made succesfully (at least succesfull in the sense that you solved it in an harmonious way).
Giving yourself that tap on the shoulder helps :)
And a toast when it did not work out that wondefull is like a mourning ritual, or evaluation. (I prefer the very lite touch there).

In the end (imo) you don't know yourself much, cause no one does.
Yes :)
We are already from ourselves an interesting adventure :)

Depends.

Many changes, like little things in my personal life, or in the lives of those I know, are uncomfortable reminders of the passage of time. I remember how things used to be, and then I realize I sound like an old person when I recall them, unable to relate to younger people and pining for days when I was younger.

Other changes are more welcome. I went slightly out of my way to lose 20 lbs, and I'm slightly proud of it. If society radically changed to be more efficient and environmentally friendly, as long as it didn't make it difficult to survive, I'd probably welcome it, for example.

In general I prefer evolution over revolution. But I suppose I've always been a bit of a coward in that regard.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's not the change that's bothersome, it's the attachment to the things which might be lost in the transition. I was an army brat so I bounced around a lot growing up and while I would sometimes be excited to move somewhere new, I was frequently bothered by losing friends and familiar places. I find even now that my attachment to my apartment and to the town I live in and the job title I had caused me a lot more heartbreak in the long run than if I had been flexible and willing to part with these things months ago. I was deeply unhappy where I was with work and yet so attached to the other things that I stayed on until I wore out my welcome and now am potentially worse off for it.

I feel like my whole life I have been searching for stability and a place to put down roots that I missed the chief lesson of my upbringing - that the roots and stability are an illusion. Everything can change in a heartbeat - even when you 'do everything right'- and becoming attached to things, places and most people is a recipe for unhappiness in the long run. I have to learn to embrace change by letting go of the attachments which hold me back as they will always let me down. At least with change, there will usually be some good mixed in with the bad and being open to those good things can help you live a more fulfilling life.
I think I'm the opposite - I've been in the same city my whole life, and I know there's a whole world beyond it. And I'm not exactly happy with where I live. So while I regret my friends drifting away over the years, I really don't want to set down roots. They'd get in the way of being able to pick up everything and just leave one day.

Depends.
Does the change affect only me? Is it my choice? Do I have time to prepare?

I am going to change job, and country of living, and that most likely this year, maybe beginning of next. Obviously a big change. I am looking forward to it, but it is totally my choice, I want it, it only really affects me, and I can prepare for it.
In contrast to that, I am not looking forward to the Zombie apocalypse ^^.

The biggest change for me...I have already shared that a few times here. Was a nerdy gamer, only playing all day, until like 27. I had nothing for myself going, except games. I do not know the cities where I did my B.sc and M.sc., because i only stayed home to play, and never left the house. Just as an example. Or I also do not have any friends from this time anymore. Or any interesting memory. And that for roughly 14 years.

Then I had to move into a student accommodation when I changed country. First time for me. I feel in love with the girl in the room next to me. She was an active and outgoing girl. After a half year I realized that she would never want me in the way I was.
I nearly had a nerve collapse realizing this (and I think there are some remnants of posts in the moderators forum clearly showing this). Therefore decided to change everything. Started doing sports. Started dancing. Started going out. I had never done any of that before. It was good, now I have a real life.
I had to go to a psychologist for a half year due to that, and got transferred to advanced psychological care. The GP gave a referral to the psycholigist and drugs pretty quickly, after I told him how often I thought about killing myself.
It helped. It was definitely time for a change. Actually years ago, but I always hesitated and never did. That girl changed me.
I didn't get her though. No issue. Also better actually. In retrospect, we anyways wouldn't have fit.
Now life is good :).

I think I am trying to make up for the lost years, and gain the experiences I never had. Therefore I often like change now. Unlike before. When I was a loner I hated basically everything. Everything new was a horror.
I guess one's general self confidence somewhat correlates with that. I have only my own anecdotal evidence for this though.

Last edited:

This is kind of what I'm facing with where I'm at right now. I really should move, and try and find a way to start anew. Maybe to another city. But the effort and bandwidth required to try and make that work with current limitations is daunting, and at the end of the day I like that I know exactly what to expect here, and the places I go to are familiar to a point that they are routine.

I constantly tell myself that I'll move when I hit a certain milestone, but I pretty much know I'll keep moving the goalposts until I get forced into moving.

This is kind of what I'm facing with where I'm at right now. I really should move, and try and find a way to start anew. Maybe to another city. But the effort and bandwidth required to try and make that work with current limitations is daunting, and at the end of the day I like that I know exactly what to expect here, and the places I go to are familiar to a point that they are routine.

I constantly tell myself that I'll move when I hit a certain milestone, but I pretty much know I'll keep moving the goalposts until I get forced into moving.

Moving to another city may help indeed. And you are still very young, so even if it doesn't work you have time to try other things.

Try to look for a job elsewhere.
IIRC your situation there is anyways not great or settled.
This basically forces you, but also gives you reasons to change.

Moving to another city may help indeed. And you are still very young, so even if it doesn't work you have time to try other things.

Got an empty room in Athens? :mischief:

Try to look for a job elsewhere.
IIRC your situation there is anyways not great or settled.
This basically forces you, but also gives you reasons to change.

Ah, my job comes with me wherever I am. For the most part. The real problem is getting elsewhere, and then also continuing to have access to the medical things I utilize here that aren't available in other cities. While in theory I could move to another city and then take the ferry back here whenever I have to see my doctors, I know that's pretty much a no-go as it's a 7-hour trip and even after starting new medication I physically max out after an hour and a half.

Next year will dictate a great deal what happens on the health front.

If the change is for something good I'm up for it. I already went in and out to an extreme form of change, going to foreign place like Turkey where no one speak English and live there as a total foreigner for 5 years, but because it is for something that is profitable for me I got no issue, it even makes it one of the best moment of my life. Like now I'm moving to different city, and I found out dang this city is even much much better than the previous one. Change is nice man, if it brings you the right things.

But if the changes is for a loss and calamity, it can hit me like a train wreck, it adds the drama and the horror.

For me the change is never really matter, but what it brings to me that is matter. When it brings to me cookies and candies, then changes is my pal.

Btw @The_J never know your story until now, I really respect that, and I think someone can made a film or a novel out of it, it's really amazing just to read your post.

The very fact that you made this an RD thread (since otherwise some of us would drift into the demise of the penny or argue over whether dollar coins are good or bad) means that society is changing.

I still carry change because I need it for pay phones and places where there's a minimum purchase amount before they'll accept debit cards. Those many science fiction conventions I attended in the '80s and '90s were much more precious to me because they were literally paid for with change I saved up over the course of a year.* Pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and loonies all added up to enough to get me to Calgary or Edmonton (Banff one year, and we did it in Red Deer as well), and that effort to save made me appreciate it more than if I'd just whipped out a credit card like I saw other people doing. It makes things more real, because it's tangible.

*I did convert most of it to paper bills, but kept some loonies and quarters for smaller purchases.

But society is changing, and so are my habits. I still save change for various reasons (the aforementioned pay phones; we still do have a few around town), but I'm more apt to pay for stuff with debit or credit cards now. Apparently Canadians' attitudes toward this has shifted quite a bit over the past couple of decades.

Whether this is a good thing... it's convenient most of the time. Other times it's damned inconvenient, like when the reader decides it doesn't want to accept my card, or the network is down. I will say that I will resist the change that so many thoughtless people want - to make our society one where only electronic transactions can be done. They don't realize how that would impact people who do things like hold garage sales, or kids who babysit or mow lawns to earn money, or people who drop a loonie or toonie in a box every year for the Legion when they get their Remembrance Day poppies.

It's an RD thread. :(
To answer what you're really asking... it's an awkward situation to be in. I'm a science fiction fan who looks forward to the future, while in my everyday life I greatly dislike change I don't decide to make myself. The only reason I ever even considered a computer was because my typewriter wore out and I couldn't find anyone willing to fix it. Otherwise, I'd have carried on with my electric Smith-Corona and might never have ended up in the exact set of circumstances that led me to this forum.

I don't generally like changes in routine, or changes to anything else that's working and doesn't need fixing. This is a change from how things used to be several decades ago. I remember that I used to change the layout of the furniture in my room fairly often (maybe twice a year). Part of the reason was when I needed more room to put more books (my collection then was just a very small number compared to what it is now), or just because I wanted something different.

I remember that my grandmother got very upset when one of those changes had the head of my bed to the south. She insisted that people should never sleep with their heads to the south, but would never give me any reason that made sense. I'll admit that during that time (several years) I had more interesting dreams than I've had before or since, but am very skeptical that it's because of where my bed was.

In general I prefer evolution over revolution. But I suppose I've always been a bit of a coward in that regard.
Sometimes evolution requires revolution.

I've been in the same city my whole life, and I know there's a whole world beyond it. And I'm not exactly happy with where I live.
Same here. As the years went by, I realized that I'm more and more disconnected with this city I've lived in almost my whole life (there were those early years on the acreage that wasn't within city limits back then, but we did come into the city often and this is where my school was). I don't recognize a lot of what I see now when taking rides to appointments, and when people try to explain where something is and reference some business or landmark, chances are that unless it's in an old neighborhood or in the downtown core, I won't have a clue what they're talking about. Everything has changed so much over the past 25 years, and people are flabbergasted when they chatter on about some "old, established neighborhood" and I tell them, "I remember when that was a farmer's field or wetland that got paved over." Even the area of town where I live now... I remember a time before most of it was built. That was in the early '80s.

Ah, my job comes with me wherever I am. For the most part. The real problem is getting elsewhere, and then also continuing to have access to the medical things I utilize here that aren't available in other cities. While in theory I could move to another city and then take the ferry back here whenever I have to see my doctors, I know that's pretty much a no-go as it's a 7-hour trip and even after starting new medication I physically max out after an hour and a half.

Next year will dictate a great deal what happens on the health front.

I cannot really beilieve this, unless you are living in a city with a world class university hospital. But maybe you do, your health situation must be horrible, from what you are normally telling.
In such a situation change is obviously scary. As a healthy young man (plus my other privileges) this looks very different than to a situation where things are already messed up and can easily turn worse.

I would recommend a change in job though. This is on average one of the biggest changes you can have, and you might find it improves your situation ;).

Top Bottom