1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you end 'cancel culture'?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aelf, Jul 23, 2020.

1. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

In your scenario, you've inadvertently destroyed 90% of the potential charitable contribution and the pension funds of many people and quite possibly jeopardized the solvency of Berkshire-Hathaway itself. What good has this contributed to society?

If charitable endowments grow as a result of sound investment, it can do more charitable good.

Yeekim likes this.
  2. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

Potential charitable contribution. If they never are going to be able to give that money to charity without destroying it, then it may as well not exist. What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless where that money that they are never going to see goes to?

Perhaps the real answer to this is to stop messing around with all this financial fiction and deal in actual assets (e.g land, factories).

You don't see how inherently absurd the idea of a charitable organisation that can't give away all of its assets to charity is and just continues to accumulate wealth on behalf of no one is?

EnglishEdward likes this.
  3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Radical idea incoming, instead of pretending that billionaire tax evasion schemes (aka "charity") are some kind of moral justification for the billlionaire's vast wealth, just tax them more

4. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

First off, if you sell off those assets in one fell swoop you get less for them. Flooding the market with shares of stock is not a good idea.

Second, your ultimate goal and my ultimate goal are not in opposition: I want to see the maximum benefit of any dollar of charitable donation given. What I’m saying is that the means to do so at first seem counterintuitive.

It’s a necessary fiction, unless you want all companies to be held in private by a single family or something. Devaluing these companies through behavior known to be reckless does no charitable good.

I didn’t say that charitable outlays wouldn’t be increased, just that more good can be done with sound investment. University endowments operate on this principle, as does Norway’s sovereign wealth fund; should both of those be sold off immediately at their face value?

I don’t think tax laws work this way. Charitable deductions don’t offset any tax liability greater than the donation.

5. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Éponine

I'm not sure the terrifying behemoth of cancel culture could have a real effect on billionaires even if said billionaires were horrible people and everyone knew it.
    Furthermore I'd suppose that a billionaire would have much more power and influence to get me fired than a bunch of angry twitterists.

So I guess the woke mob just isn't that powerful or scary at all, at least not compared to the existence of rich people.

Angst, gay_Aleks, GenMarshall and 4 others like this.
  6. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

Nothing radical about progressive taxation, it is necessary and good.
    Charity is sometimes a cover for tax evasion. Putting an unqualified equation mark between the two is unfair.
    Charity is not "moral justification" for vast wealth.

7. Modder_Mode

Modder_Mode Prince

OK but how are these things caused by oppression?

How was George Floyd being murdered racist? I get some people are protesting police brutality in general, but how was George Floyds death a racist act?

REDY likes this.
  8. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Yikes.

Angst, haroon, gay_Aleks and 4 others like this.
  9. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Glad to see that the term 'cancel culture' is so indefensible that pretty much no one even wants to talk about it now.

10. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

"How do you end facing consequences for your actions?" isn't much enticing for anyone except the usual suspects.

Cloud_Strife and GenMarshall like this.
  11. aelf

aelf Ashen One

12. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

USA is the exception, not the rule and even US have higher life expectancy today than it had 40 years ago.

13. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Now you're just making excuses.

haroon likes this.
  14. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

Excuses for what?

15. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The US may have a higher life expectancy than 40 years ago but it has a lower life expectancy than five years ago. And that was true before the coronavirus which i assume cuts into the average life expectancy at birth somewhat.

16. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

17. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I meant actual reasons with predictive value, my apologies for not clarifying that given which forum I'm posting on :p.

18. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 Thought Bubble Thinker Supporter

You can’t see how paying an African American less than a white person (or literally nothing) for the same work is inherently profitable?

19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Slavery ended over a century ago in the US, and correlation is not causation.

People who are short get paid less on average too, is that also correlation at least as relevant? Per above logic it must be, but almost nobody talks about it here for some reason. Defaulting to race/sex constantly instead.

I would be interested in a nuanced look at the data, given people have spouted the "women are paid less for the same work" falsehood for years and still do so. Consider me dubious after years of that.

And even after all of THAT, there's still the hurdle of actually demonstrating profitability. No worker in the US can compete against inexpensive, awful-condition foreign labor in terms of profitability, for example. If you delete the foreign markets to ignore that caveat, you are then left with the question of why the entire work force isn't black Americans, if they're willing to take less pay than white Americans.

When you claim that racism is inherently profitable, you are necessarily claiming there are properties inherent to race that make some races more monetarily valuable than others on average, completely independent of circumstance. I reject that as a racist notion itself.

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Do you think it is more profitable for an employer to pay his workers wages or to enslave them and pay them nothing?

Prejudice against short people is also profitable. Simple.

Yeah, no. You're misinterpreting the claim entirely and responding to something no one is actually claiming.

Cloud_Strife, cardgame and NinjaCow64 like this.