1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about having to use Steam? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by rbj2001, Nov 3, 2010.

?

How do you feel about having to use Steam for playing Civ?

1. Strongly positive: Steam is a great addition to the series! I love it.

73 vote(s)
    16.6%
  2. Somewhat positive: I quite like using Steam and would happily use it voluntarily.

93 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Neutral: I don't mind it / have no feelings either way.

56 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Somewhat negative: I don't like having to use Steam and would remove it given the choice.

117 vote(s)
    26.6%
  5. Strongly negative: What on earth were they thinking! I hate it.

101 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. Surgeon

Surgeon Chieftain

Steam is here to stay given that the retail space devoted to PC games is almost gone (in my country at least). You can complain all you want but you cannot change what has become the premier sales point for most PC games.

2. rbj2001

rbj2001 Chieftain

Personally I get all my PC games from Amazon - cheaper than the shops and I don't have to leave the comfort of my home. Arrives a couple of days later - easy peasy, works great - then there's the excitement of unwrapping the parcel!

:eek: RLY??
    Of course it's not just a sales point now, is it? If it were just an online store I can't see anyone having a problem with it.

3. Vordeo

Vordeo Chieftain

Voted somewhat negative.

It's extra software, and I'd simply rather not have to use that. Also, I've had some issues where Steam has been very slow to start, though that might just be my internet connection. I do like the fact that it's made patching and downloading DLC simpler, and like the achievements, but I'd rather do without.

Not a deal breaker or anything though.

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I forgot about that, but yeah I don't pay ANY taxes when I purchase games on Steam, its pretty awesome saving that extra 12%.

5. Grimberht

Grimberht Chieftain

I voted Somewhat negative because I would remove it if I had the choice, but I dont mind it...

6. Le Sage

Le Sage Chieftain

I really hate the commercial messages that pop up giving me all this vital consumer's information about new, splendid games that I don't care about. Sometimes they crash Oblivion when they start annoyingly in the background, but with Civ5 there's been no problem with that other than the irritation.

I hate getting this sort of propaganda straight to my own desktop. Maybe someone knows how to remove them...? I voted somewhat negative.

7. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

If you have a problem like this again with something, I highly recommend checking the options first. The pop ups also give notification of sales, but you can also just check the store page for that too :p Anything will crash Oblivion when its running, it HATES getting minimized, thats why I got rid of MSN >.> I feel your pain.

8. Le Sage

Le Sage Chieftain

Thanks, man! I'll turn it off when I get home. It will make my evenings modding and playing much more enjoyable!

9. skallben

skallben Diplomat

Steam as it is and it's functions I do not really have an issue with. Personally I don't play enough games and/or require it's services to make use of it and therefor I do not want it on my computer. If it was only that you had to use Steam for validation I'd have no issues.

However, it being completely compulsory is in my eyes an atrocity. So I am strongly negative.

10. Becephalus

Becephalus Chieftain

Steam is the best digital distribution network there is, and I am all for games going digital distribution network only, because it discourages all the pirates who are ruining this industry.

11. Qin Shi Huang

Qin Shi Huang Chieftain

somewhat negative as I have to spend a couple of minutes logging in to steam adverts pop up randomly when ive closed the game loading the game etc and sometimes when im offline i select play in offline mode and it says it needs to log in to steam to play offline? kind of defeats the objective of offline mode

12. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop Chieftain

i didn't even realize people were still complaining about this.

13. Purest Warrior

Purest Warrior Chieftain

Well, now you do..

14. Danei

Danei Chieftain

I think the poll is sort of biased. Why would anyone feel strongly positive about "having" to do anything? A better question would have been "Do you mind having to use Steam for Civ V" with options like "Not at all", "A little", "A lot".

15. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

I've never used Steam before. I don't hate it, but it'll just be a little more of a hassle.

16. Jharii

Jharii Chieftain

Steam is like a giant bowl of sweet and delicious black cherries that never go go bad.

I jest.

I like Steam a lot. It appeals to the compulsive buyer side of me in great and wondrous ways by having frequent and outstanding sales on quality titles. It's convenience greatly outweighs any inconveniences.

17. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

When I first started using it I was negative towards Steam, but now realize it's not bad.

18. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I agree, it's got a lot of good features. Overall I like it. But once it starts preventing me from being able to use the software I've licensed, that's when I get out the rageface. :mad:

19. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Chieftain

It's simple for me, steam works, and i really dont like the current DRM's used by other companies.
    (to the extend i refuse to buy their games)

For anyone wondering look up the EA DRM's, or Ubisoft...
    I'd take steam over that anytime of the day.

20. walls99

walls99 Chieftain

I have loved Steam since the time I started using it a few years ago. I have had four computers since I started using the service and I don't have to care about searching for CD keys when ever I want to install a game on each new PC i got when the old one died. Steam manages my keys etc for me. It even let me add the CD key from the Store bought copy of Unreal Tournament 3.

For me Steam is a blessing on one side, but it is definitely a Curse on the other, since it has so many good sales that I end up spending way more money than I want to on games.