How do you feel about having to use Steam? (Poll)

How do you feel about having to use Steam for playing Civ?

• Strongly positive: Steam is a great addition to the series! I love it.

Votes: 73 16.6%
  • Somewhat positive: I quite like using Steam and would happily use it voluntarily.

Votes: 93 21.1%
  • Neutral: I don't mind it / have no feelings either way.

Votes: 56 12.7%
  • Somewhat negative: I don't like having to use Steam and would remove it given the choice.

Votes: 117 26.6%
  • Strongly negative: What on earth were they thinking! I hate it.

Votes: 101 23.0%

• Total voters
Positive: I would have bought Civ V either way, but I have also bought a baseball game on Steam for $2. Sweet deal!

Steam is a nice way to talk to my other civ playing friends when I'm playing :) and the achievements are cool and quirky.

However, if I was still living with my parents I would have been unable to play this awesome game because of their lack of internet. This is a bad thing. I also don't like that I was more or less forced into getting Steam. Civ 5, Civ 4, all of the Sims 2 and various other games I play are already taking up too much space on my HDD. Steam is another drain on what little I've got left.

Wow, so you're saying that Steam is the best thing since sliced bread because you've read on the Interwebs that people have reformed their pirating ways and joined Steam. Wow. I'm sure that there are also a lot of people jacked off with publishers and have stopped purchasing games and instead wait for the torrent to be released. Seriously man, whatever on that point. All people need is a bad experience with Steam - i.e. account closed due to PayPal withholding a payment, and they'll leave Steam.

Is that what I said? Or was I merely providing an example for you?

And I made the decision on my own. I have that ability. I don't need others telling me whether I like something or not. And your PayPal example is likely as much PayPal as it is anything else. A similar thing happened to me with PayPal and eBay and my eBay account was locked and closed as a result.

Personally I am neglecting buying CIVV because of STEAM.
I am uneducated with it and therefore am doing some research.:scan:
I presently play all games offline on a different computer.(Yes some people still do play offline). Where I am located there is no high-speed internet access available so I am on dial-up.(Not in Antartica, just a small country town in Quebec)
So I am questionable if I will have any problems registering and playing offline.(especially on a different computer).:confused:

Personally I am neglecting buying CIVV because of STEAM.
I am uneducated with it and therefore am doing some research.:scan:
I presently play all games offline on a different computer.(Yes some people still do play offline). Where I am located there is no high-speed internet access available so I am on dial-up.(Not in Antartica, just a small country town in Quebec)
So I am questionable if I will have any problems registering and playing offline.(especially on a different computer).:confused:
You won't be able to install the game without broadband in a reasonable time on dial-up because when you register with Steam you have to download some enormous patches. However after that you should be able to set it to offline mode - although apparently you have to be online to set it to offline mode. If you just try to start without any connection, Steam won't let you play.

You won't be able to install the game without broadband in a reasonable time on dial-up because when you register with Steam you have to download some enormous patches. However after that you should be able to set it to offline mode - although apparently you have to be online to set it to offline mode. If you just try to start without any connection, Steam won't let you play.

You need to have logged in once on that computer in online mode and go into Steam's settings and tell it to remember your log in details so you can log in in Offline mode when the computer has no internet. After that it should be fine, and he should be able to connect again if he needs to, though if it detects any patches it will try to download them. I answered in more detail to your other post in the other thread.

Using steam is a total pain when you don't have a permanent Internet connection, I can't get it to work without the Internet.

Top Bottom