• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How great will Donald Trump make America?

How great will Donald Trump make America?

• Great

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Super Great

• Super Ultra Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Ultra Uber Great

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Super Mega Ultra Uber Awesome Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mega super ultra uber unfathomably great

• Ultra Mega Uber Ninja awesome duper great

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Trump will make America great beyond words

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters
Every hour of every day of living in America will be like riding a water slide in the coolest water parks of the world.

Spoiler :
Feels great, but you know the only direction is downhill.

So Free trade agreements and contracts are now worthless ?
The US could get away with that, but then the fallout from this would be interesting too see how Mexico and China react. all those US companies that moved overseas to China or across the border are going to be hit hard.

Mexico and China will merely decide that those US financed factories physically in Mexico and China are Mexican and Chinese factories. They will continue to produce much the same goods as before but not bother to pay dividends or royalty payments to their former US owners.

I heard he was going to ban shredded cheese at grocery stores, to make Americans grate again.

Oh, I won't sell him short; I'm not blind.
He's worth two men, I'm sure we will find.
His will equal with ease
The presidencies
Of McCain and Romney combined.

He will make America incredibly great (as in, we should not believe in its supposed greatness.)

there has already been Sunni seminars that laud Trump as the best option , since Barack Hussein seems to be in love with the Shia . Trump will presumably nuke Russia and Iran and China while he is at it and Tonga because he can and Papua New Guinea because he can build condos and a whole lot of them after clearing all that jungle . So , this makes America the greatest country , with a population of 10 to 20 people left .

Yeah one side understands that the Trade agreements should be rewritten
The other side idea of tearing them up and placing tariffs will solve everything.

No, both Sanders and Trump are equally ignorant (or dishonest) on their trade propositions. And scapegoating China and scapegoating Wall Street are equally stupid as well.

Anyway, scrapping free trade agreements won't do much in terms of creating manufacturing jobs in the US. As it happens, since the crisis 2008 there has been a manufacturing boom in the US, and production of manufactured goods there, adjusted for inflation, has risen 20% in value. But manufacturing jobs have only risen 5%.

That's because the companies that are reshoring their manufacturing to the US (due to rising wages in China and the desire to have shorter and more controllable supply chains) are building heavily automated plants, which employ far less people than the factories they shut down when they moved to China.

So Drumpf and the Sanderistas are quite wrong when they say that scrapping or revisiting NAFTA, the TPP or whatever else will have a big impact in manufacturing jobs. It won't. But it will certainly harm consumers in many ways, and lead to retaliations that will harm the broader American and global economies.

Come to think of it, what's this guy's game?
We expect those who run to proclaim
That the USA is
Already the greatest.
Is some lesser state* his stated aim?

*some MSS have State

This is a very interesting point in a very unserious thread.

I cannot pretend to know the full consequences of large tariffs on imports from China and Mexico.
Obviously some kind of massive lawsuit at the World Trade Organization.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispute_settlement_in_the_World_Trade_Organization

Empty shelves at all Wal-Marts.
Massive congestion at shipping ports.
Renewed smuggling.
A shattering of alliances.
A new world trade war.
The world dumping US Dollars as the reserve currency in favor of a basket of currencies.

I just know that a lot of Americans right now don't care anymore.
It's not that they aren't smart enough to be aware of the benefits of free trade, but the perception is rolling in that it is "bad" on balance.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/b...-costs-not-benefits-of-global-trade.html?_r=0

That is the greatest red flag that I can think of right there.
The 1% might be content to watch America turn into a Neo-Feudalistic state full of waiters and bartenders, but the serfs have a lot more votes.

And right now, Trump and Sanders are speaking to them.

Cus people are idiots. It's probably the largest reason I am anti trump. Trade deficits are good. Do you really want to pay four times as much for stuff "made in the usa?" cus that's what'll happen. A few more people will have $15 an hour jobs and everyone will pay more for their stuff courtesy of the government.

People are equally stupid when they say they want a flat tax rate.

See how this one guy made America Great Again using this 1 trick!

Liberals Hate him!

civver said:
Cus people are idiots. It's probably the largest reason I am anti trump. Trade deficits are good. Do you really want to pay four times as much for stuff "made in the usa?" cus that's what'll happen. A few more people will have $15 an hour jobs and everyone will pay more for their stuff courtesy of the government.

This is poor economics. You need to consider the effect of actually making stuff in America. It may cost more but it also means more Americans have jobs meaning they're able to afford more stuff.

This is basically the same reason the "minimum wage causes unemployment" is wrong. You don't get good analysis by taking a dynamic interrelated system, isolating one part of it and pretending that part is static.

No it's not, tariffs are an added cost to the goods we didn't have before that the extra spending money a few americans have isn't going to offset. Either jobs come back here cus it's now cheaper to produce locally but still not as cheap as before, or jobs stay overseas and we pay more via the tariff. Either way stuff costs more. A few people with a few more jobs doesn't mean I'm getting a big raise at work to cover increased cost of living. My dollar is worth less now.

We already have super low unemployment so who does this benefit?

I'm not saying tarrifs are good economics, I'm saying that "trade deficits are good" is bad economics. I would argue trade deficits are neither good nor bad in isolation.

civvver said:
No it's not, tariffs are an added cost to the goods we didn't have before that the extra spending money a few americans have isn't going to offset.

Since Trump has no detailed policy plan of which I'm aware this is an open question.

civvver said:
Either jobs come back here cus it's now cheaper to produce locally but still not as cheap as before, or jobs stay overseas and we pay more via the tariff.

If the policy is structured such that it increases American employment and thus disposable income, you will certainly indirectly benefit.

The economy is a circular flow of money. If your employer isn't raising your pay to cover your cost of living despite pulling in more gross income because people are buying more stuff, that's between you and them. I recommend organizing with your fellow workers to get fair treatment and better pay. Unlike Donald Trump I advocate for democratically-controlled workplaces so that workers can decide what to do with the surpluses themselves. At the very least employers should be incentivized to share a portion of the profits broadly among all workers.

civvver said:
We already have super low unemployment so who does this benefit?

We do not have super low unemployment.

Top Bottom