• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How great will Donald Trump make America?

How great will Donald Trump make America?

• Great

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Super Great

• Super Ultra Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Ultra Uber Great

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Super Mega Ultra Uber Awesome Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mega super ultra uber unfathomably great

• Ultra Mega Uber Ninja awesome duper great

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Trump will make America great beyond words

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters
Yes we do, it's under 5% right now.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

So who's all these americans going to get these great manufacturing jobs?

And no, cost of goods will rise immediately as soon as the tariffs are imposed while income will lag. It'll take time before my industry sees profit increases (if there are any) cus of increased money domestically.

I can't organize, I'm white collar salaried and an at will employee. They'd just fire us, which is fine. My pay works on supply and demand. I'm a software engineer, they pay me enough so I'll work here instead of somewhere else. As demand for engineers goes up other companies offer me more pay to switch and my employer realizes this and gives me raises so I won't. Or they don't and eventually I do switch. It's pretty simple. Organizing is important in an industry where the employer holds a big unfair advantage over individuals like lesser skilled jobs where they can replace people more easily, like manufacturing, but they don't here. I'm not as easily replaced. Employers competing with each other determines my pay.

They're not just going to give me a raise cus stuff costs more, they'll give me a raise when I show them look I'm valuable here, I deserve more and down the road they're paying more. It takes like all three arguments. Equilibrium will be thrown off by tariffs and wages will be behind.

Not producing consumer goods in China and other places where manufacturing is cheap will mean that Walmart will be unable to continue selling everything at such lower prices. Expect prices to double, or more, if that ever happens.

Which is fine by me, I'd rather support local businesses instead of Walmart, even if it costs more.

So, as you may or may not be aware the real unemployment rate is significantly above 5% because that number doesn't take many unemployed people into account. It also ignores underemployment.

But my contention is not about the facts, it's about framing. To me "very low unemployment" means unemployment just over 0%. Like, 0.5%. Or 0.3%. There was a time when the policy establishment would have agreed with me but that was before we got NAIRU.

I'll go through the rest of the bad economics in your post when I get home from work ;)

I have a theory that he initially did all this for the lulz but now that he realizes he can win, he'll sabotage himself somehow.

You can incentive people to keep jobs here without artificially raising the prices. You can give tax breaks for example, lower corporate rates for companies who manufacture here etc.

I have a theory that he initially did all this for the lulz but now that he realizes he can win, he'll sabotage himself somehow.

He'll actually go to a haircut place that charges more than $5 and suddenly look like a normal human being, forcing his base to revolt in confusion.

I'm not saying tarrifs are good economics, I'm saying that "trade deficits are good" is bad economics. I would argue trade deficits are neither good nor bad in isolation.
Yeah exactly.

Do you want foreign money, or do you want free stuff?

Well, not free, you're giving up the difference in disparity as foreign money means they can buy your marginally best capital and expertise and grow faster.

I dunno about y'all but I'd rather have Chinese stuff than Chinese poverty.

Hygro said:

We import so much so cheaply from China because the Chinese communists are running an economy where the Chinese can't come close to consuming everything they produce.

civvver said:
I can't organize, I'm white collar salaried and an at will employee. They'd just fire us, which is fine. My pay works on supply and demand. I'm a software engineer, they pay me enough so I'll work here instead of somewhere else. As demand for engineers goes up other companies offer me more pay to switch and my employer realizes this and gives me raises so I won't. Or they don't and eventually I do switch. It's pretty simple. Organizing is important in an industry where the employer holds a big unfair advantage over individuals like lesser skilled jobs where they can replace people more easily, like manufacturing, but they don't here. I'm not as easily replaced. Employers competing with each other determines my pay.

I suppose this isn't exactly economics, but you're always stronger united. And if you're concerned about your employer screwing you over with low wages that's a political problem that can be solved through political action.
An employer always holds unfair advantages over employees, that's how and why wage labor works.

As for the rest of it, what you're saying might be true but also might not. Circumstances vary. If prices increase but incomes rise too it's not such a big deal.

there's a button on the bottom right of a post called "quote". It does the formatting and the linking back for you. The "multi" button is related. Happy posting.

Yeah exactly.

Do you want foreign money, or do you want free stuff?

Well, not free, you're giving up the difference in disparity as foreign money means they can buy your marginally best capital and expertise and grow faster.

Hmmn, you don't really want a trade imbalance. You want robust trade, for sure. The more, the better. But a trade imbalance can cause real pain by pulling out too many dollars from the home economy.

If they buy your tbills, that's not so bad. If they buy your assets, that can be a problem. If they buy your trade goods, that's awesome.

When Trump says "Make America Great Again", he means to make it a republican paradise, where we can relive the 1950's where White men were in charge, women were in the kitchen and minorities were in the ghettos.

Top Bottom