How I began to teach about the Vietnam War

abradley

Deity
A review of our Vietnam Tragedy may be in order considering our present War on Terror.

"... the tragedy of Vietnam is not that the United States intervened when it should not have, but rather that the intervention was bungled so badly and that the Vietnamese who believed in us were ultimately betrayed."
How I began to teach about the Vietnam War

Keith W Taylor, Cornell University
Michigan Quarterly Review. Ann Arbor: Fall 2004

In January of 1972, about six months after I returned from Vietnam and was discharged from the U.S. Army, I began my graduate studies at the University of Michigan, specializing in Vietnamese history. The immensity of the war at that time was too much for me to press into an academic framework, and so I focused on ancient times, which was a comforting escape from the confusion of my personal experience of the war in Vietnam. In later years, as I taught Vietnamese history, I inevitably had to spend two or three lectures on the U.S.Vietnam War, but I always dreaded doing so, because talking in public about the war usually produced in me a sensation of nausea. It was 25 years before I began to understand that this nausea came from the dissonance between the interpretive grid I had acquired for the war and what I felt in my heart. This essay is about how I began to teach about the war and how my ideas about the war changed to become my own.

I will discuss three axioms in the dominant interpretation of the U.S.-Vietnam War that were established by the antiwar movement during the late 1960s and subsequently taken up by teachers at most schools and universities as the basis for explaining the war. These are that there was never a legitimate non-communist government in Saigon, that the U.S. had no legitimate reason to be involved in Vietnamese affairs, and that the U.S. could not have won the war under any circumstances. It took me many years to step free of these axioms and to see them as ideological debris of the antiwar movement rather than as sustainable views supported by evidence and logic. What enabled me to do this was that I finally came to terms with my own experience.

I received my B.A. in May 1968, and within two weeks of graduation I received a notice from my draft board to report to the nearest induction center for a physical examination. After the so-called Tet Offensive of that spring, the draft quotas were especially high, and many of us who expected our student deferments to last longer than the possibility of being drafted suddenly faced the war personally. As I recall, there were five options that came to mind. One option was to find a way to fail the physical examination, and there were many ways to do that. I dismissed that immediately because it violated my sense of honor. Another option was to apply for exemption as a "conscientious objector," which required one to argue that one's religious beliefs did not allow military service. I dismissed this because my religious beliefs were not of that kind.

Another option was to go to jail, and I could see no point in doing that, for I did not believe that the war was at a moral level sufficiently low to require civil resistance. The war, as I understood it then, was not in itself an evil; if there was evil, I thought it was in how ineptly it was being conducted and in the consequences of this ineptitude. At the age of seven, I had seen my brother-in-law return from Korea in a coffin, and I had acquired a sense of civic duty to my country that was not deterred by the vicissitudes of poor leadership. When I looked into myself, I knew that I would remain faithful to a code of personal honor attached to what I understood as the ideals of my country's form of government rising above the confusions of political and military leadership. This became explicitly clear to me when I was interviewed by an army officer in the procedure to obtain a security clearance. He asked me what I thought of the war, and I recall telling him that I thought it made no sense to try to defend South Vietnam so long as the border areas of Laos and Cambodia were conceded to the enemy. I had no quarrel with resisting the spread of communist governments, but I could see no strategy being applied that had prospects of success. Nevertheless, I remember telling the interviewer that my patriotism was stronger than my unhappiness about poor leadership. I did not see why I should go to jail because I disagreed with how the war was being fought, particularly since I had no argument with the general purpose of the war itself.

A fourth option was to go to Canada, which was at that time still being encouraged by the Canadian government. This was the option taken by my best friend in 1967, and I gave it serious consideration because of him, even visiting the Canadian embassy and speaking with someone there who encouraged me to emigrate. But, for reasons I have already mentioned, I did not find this option attractive. Even if I might have imagined some selfish advantage in doing it, I nevertheless knew that such a choice, my own convictions aside, would bring much embarrassment and pain to my parents, and I was not prepared to do that.

The fifth option was to serve my country and to accept my civic duty as I had been taught to do, and this is what I did. But, probably from the conceit of having obtained a certain measure of education and from the sense of pride and the illusion of autonomy that arose from that conceit, I had a strong desire to retain as much control over my life as I could, and I did not like the feeling of powerlessness that came from the prospect of simply being drafted and sent wherever to do whatever. So when a recruiter explained that instead of being drafted I could enlist and in doing so could choose my job assignment in the army, I decided to seize whatever vestige of control I might be able to exert over my life in this situation and I applied to enter army intelligence.

I spent the next two years in training: basic combat training, intelligence training, and Vietnamese language training. Until I was assigned to study the Vietnamese language, I had entertained hopes of avoiding the war altogether. After all, I had friends and acquaintances who were assigned to Alaska, Korea, Germany, and Panama. But once I was sent to study the Vietnamese language, my only hope was that the war would be finished before my year of study was completed. It was not, and I was finally sent to Vietnam in 1970 with the rank of buck sergeant.

What I encountered in Vietnam was an army in process of demoralization. After public opinion turned against the war in 1968, the antiwar movement penetrated the army in Vietnam. All the stereotypical problems of drugs, racial conflict, atrocities, fragging, and insubordination were in evidence and were affecting the morale of the army, and these were, at least as I understood it, related to the fact that, as a consequence of poor leadership, the country no longer supported the war, yet we were still being expected to fight it. Army leaders, both uniformed and civilian, realized the necessity to "redeploy" the army out of Vietnam as rapidly as possible to prevent this spirit of disaffection from spreading to other commands around the world. Meanwhile, we were being asked to take our chance at being "the last man to die in Vietnam."

(Continued)
http://www.viet-myths.net/taylor.htm
So, which of the five options he was faced with when he received his draft notice should he have chosen, which would you have chose and why?

This wasn't an academic question at the time, 50,000 American deaths (1955–1975) vs A total of 4,491 U.S. service members were killed in Iraq between 2003 and 2014.

I drew a high number in the draft lottery. I was lucky and didn't have the hard choices of those drafted.

It's a difficult decision to make. When the powers that be decide they want to wage an immoral war there's not a lot ordinary people can do, legally. I was always a very law abiding person growing up so I probably would have followed through with being drafted if there were no other legal means of avoiding it. Fortunately Vietnam was a couple decades before my time. I was born in '67.

EDIT: Although I believe being an only child would have either exempted me or else put me very high up in the lottery.

It's a difficult decision to make. When the powers that be decide they want to wage an immoral war there's not a lot ordinary people can do, legally. I was always a very law abiding person growing up so I probably would have followed through with being drafted if there were no other legal means of avoiding it. Fortunately Vietnam was a couple decades before my time. I was born in '67.

EDIT: Although I believe being an only child would have either exempted me or else put me very high up in the lottery.
This expresses my view of the war: "I began to teach a university course on the U.S.-Vietnam war in the late 1990s due to a lingering sense of civic responsibility (the younger generation should know about that war) and a more selfish idea that I needed to do it for my own peace of mind. Forcing myself to lecture about the war was a liberating experience as I began to find my own voice amidst all the books that have accumulated on the war. Many of the books follow a standard narrative exemplifying the axioms I discussed above, which I find unsatisfying. Many important topics are ignored, particularly the aspirations, plans, and actions of Vietnamese who fought for the hope of democracy in their land.

At a conference about that time, I met one such Vietnamese, a man who had served in various Saigon governments from the late 1950s to the early 1970s and who was subsequently imprisoned several years before immigrating to the United States. I had many questions I wanted to ask him, but he looked at me doubtfully and asked permission to pose a question to me first. His question was: "Do you think in that war we had a noble cause?" I was stunned by this unexpected question, but from the bottom of my heart came an answer that even surprised me: "Yes, I do." With that, the man's demeanor toward me dramatically changed to trust and openness. He explained that in his experience most American academics do not respect him because they believe that he chose to be on the wrong side of the war. Yet his only crime was to hope for a democracy in his country and to trust in the United States."
From the linked OP article.

We have a conscription army in Finland, and I chose to be a conscientious objector. The price for it is a year of labour with ~10 euros a day and accommodation, or six months in jail. The jail option is actually a bit funny, since you can get away with less for assault, drunk driving or rape here, and even if you get that sentence, it can often be transformed to a community service. So, some conscientious objectors have insisted in court that they have community service instead. The courts however always refuse that. Oh, there's one exception: the Jehova's Witnesses are exempted since they were refusing en masse. (And Ålanders too, but that's because of the demilitarization of Åland).

I would've taken the army if taking part in wars would be voluntary.

Another option was to apply for exemption as a "conscientious objector," which required one to argue that one's religious beliefs did not allow military service. I dismissed this because my religious beliefs were not of that kind.

There's his problem, he wasn't a Christian

Big fan of no wars without a draft.

If you need a draft the war is probably fubar

no, but the ones that needed a draft were probably fubar

if people dont wanna fight, making them fight suggests the cause aint worth it

Didn't all wars prior to Vietnam have a draft ?

Towards the end, the Revolutionary War had a draft, albeit it was spotty and not well enforced.

In the Civil War, the North had a draft and resulting draft riots. But if you were rich, you could pay some poor schlub to go in your place.

WWI had a draft (e.g. Sgt York)

WWII had a draft (e.g. my dad, who voluntarily gave up his defense industry exemption)

=====================

I had the potential of facing the OP's dilemma. At first, I sheltered behind a student deferment. There was no way I was going to Vietnam. I wasn't about to be let myself be used to prop up a regime run by drug dealers and dictators. I wouldn't have lasted two days in prison. And I didn't want to be exiled to Canada because it's not my country.

Luckily, the draft lottery was instituted, and my number was really high. I was never forced to make a choice.

The real tragedy of the Vietnam War was that neocons convinced themselves that it didn't offer lessons of use for future wars. When in reality everything you need to know about why Bush lost both wars he started was learned in Vietnam. A war that he, and nearly all of his generation of conservative leaders, conspicuously avoided participation in.

The real tragedy of the Vietnam War was that neocons convinced themselves that it didn't offer lessons of use for future wars. When in reality everything you need to know about why Bush lost both wars he started was learned in Vietnam. A war that he, and nearly all of his generation of conservative leaders, conspicuously avoided participation in.
Neoconservatism is a fundamentally wrong ideology, but saying that it didn't draw lessons from the Indochinese wars is not true. It drew an entire worldview from them. Importantly, too, neocons were also trying to learn from what they believed were the failures of the 1991 war and the subsequent Iraq crises throughout the Clinton administration.

They're crappy mistakes, avoidable mistakes, monstrous mistakes, all that. But "failing to pay attention to Vietnam" is generally not why those mistakes were made. They were wrong on their own merits.

This wasn't an academic question at the time, 50,000 American deaths (1955–1975)

Gah!

Here are the Vietnamese casualties (in case you've forgotten them):

South Vietnam:
195,000–430,000 civilian dead
220,357–313,000 military dead

North Vietnam & Viet Cong:
65,000 civilian dead
444,000–1,100,000 military dead or missing
600,000+ wounded

I have to wonder whether it didn't pay to be an enemy of the US rather than an ally.

Top Bottom