How is your Victoria Game going?

Indeed they have added it! Should be interesting , though there is already the 'Great Wars Mod' which does basically the same thing, but it's less buggy.

Decided to post an update on my USA game. Great Britain was soundly defeated in the Qing War when Russia and France both intervened on Qing's side. Canada saw great strides in just 5-7 years of existence. And I struggle to overcome France's sheer industrial power, but my research has shifted back to industry so I should be able to make some headway there.

Spoiler :

P.S Sorry for the poor quality of the picture... I screwed up when resizing the pic for upload and ended up blurring it a bit. Since it was still readable I left it as it was.

Random question, figured I'd post it here since V2 players frequent this thread: how is the converter looking for V2 -> HoI3? I haven't been able to keep up with it since they moved into a private forum area.

A question from me as well: I am playing as sweden -> scandinavia, and I was wondering whether or not I should take my Finnish cores or leave them be. It seems that war with russia is a bad option (my military is very small, mostly in colonies).

To expand a little on SK's post and describe what I did in this case: I was able to take Finland from Russia, but the key was having as many advanced military technologies as possible that enhance defense (especially machine guns, which I got before the Russians did). Then, I basically rushed to Karelia on the other side of Finland, where the Russian reinforcements must pass through two provinces to enter Finland. Entrench and hold that line with the vast majority of your troops while you occupy Finland with tiny stacks in the rear--your infantry will be beasts on the defense, especially with a few artillery batteries to back them up, and with anywhere from +5 to +7 on combat rolls due to entrenchment, terrain, and generalship, the Russians could not break the lines except at massive, unsustainable costs. I had an alliance with Austria at the time as well, and the second front in the South helped alleviate pressure on my trenches.

It was a close-run thing, but it proves you can beat the Russians with the proper tactics.

[description of strategy and operations]

It was a close-run thing, but it proves you can beat the Russians with the proper tactics.
I don't see tactics anywhere in that post. :mischief:

It was pretty trivial to beat the Russians as Scandinavia early on, when poison gas was broken, but they fixed that back in like 1.2. If you really really want Finland, I'd wait for the Russians to get badly distracted. A straight up fight would be nightmarish without a colossally high technological edge.

I don't see tactics anywhere in that post. :mischief:

It was pretty trivial to beat the Russians as Scandinavia early on, when poison gas was broken, but they fixed that back in like 1.2. If you really really want Finland, I'd wait for the Russians to get badly distracted. A straight up fight would be nightmarish without a colossally high technological edge.

And you'd think the guy who normally picks on people who misuse the terms strategy and tactics would have picked up on that before hitting the submit button. :blush:

are you playing HD? i find that this destroys Frances huge industrial boost.

No I have the PDM mod.

Maps of the same game:

Local Map
Spoiler :

World Map
Spoiler :

I see the British are up to their usual hijinks in China.

No I have the PDM mod.

Maps of the same game:

Local Map
Spoiler :

World Map
Spoiler :

I forgot how much I hated the Austrian and Siamese white colors in PDM--they don't show up at all on this map mode.

One thing I like about the substate system in AHD is how it allows for China to be divided amongst the major powers' influence without it actually being conquered like we see here. Wish the PDM people would change their minds on that one.

Might grab AHD after I complete this game.

@Dachs:
The UK is falling apart and who knows when they will stabilize and hold on to what they have left. They have been reeling since I took Washington State and B.C from them 15 years ago then after that war they lost to to the Chinese, French and Russians, in which they released Canada as a dominion, then they suffered losses in India and fell back even more and gave Canada complete independence as well as falling back to 4th place in the Great Power rankings.

Because I'm uncreative and follow in flyingchicken's footsteps (also because his hijinx on #nes inspired me to buy this game), my Dai Nippon Teikoku (or, as I affectionately referred to it throughout the game and because my Chinese population did all the ~real~ work, The East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere):

Spoiler :

Sphered and allied: All of China and Indochina.

Not as impressive as fc, but somehow I botch the simple task of industrialization every time. Oh well. I make up for it by dragging the entire rest of the world into unwinnable 30-year wars. Oh, you thought you could defeat us, Russia, USA, France, UK? How about us plus 300 million Chinese? Yeah. Didn't think so. :goodjob:

Everybody else:
Spoiler :

Final stats:
Spoiler :

Japanese Ireland makes me laugh. It only took me 20 years of war with Britain to claim it. ^_^

Welcome to the grand game! Pretty solid end for a first round.

Some nations industrialize easier than others. Literacy helps a ton, as do technologies that reduce the size of RGOs and anything that increases factory profitability (to varying degrees). Two routes are available, the laissez-faire approach where you encourage capitalists with NFs and let them build, or switching to a state-capitalist party (for example, planned economy also works) and selecting a handful of factory types to build yourself. It takes a few games to get the hang of, and I still mess it up.

Well actually, that was my second go as Japan. My first try was much more catastrophic.

I tried to pop a lot of clergy early on as per fc's advice, but was stymied in my efforts somewhat by a drawn-out war with China over Taiwan that turned into a war with Russia. I eventually stopped focusing clergy at points, which was probably where I went wrong. I tried to go back later on, but by then it was too little, too late. Ah, well.

My industry did a lot better this game than last, though, given that it was almost entirely constructed by me (I had to choose between focusing clerks and capitalists and opted for the one of the two that isn't a parasite). But I didn't think about focusing the RGO-reducing techs and there was a point where I wasn't getting as much commerce/industry techs as probably would have helped. Better literacy definitely would have helped, but there's a lot of things I feel like I could have gone back and done better.

Alas. My next go as Russia will, hopefully, yield better fruit. Za rodina!

Clerks are tough to get going unless you have very high literacy and an already-developed industrial sector. I usually focus on promoting capitalists first, then craftsmen, then take a break to colonize half of Africa, and only after that point do I significantly invest in clerks. Keeping a close eye on each region's % of clergy is also important, since you want to balance out your literacy gains around the country.

Oddly enough, Russia is one of the two nations I'm playing now (the other being Sardinia-Piedmont to Italy). Russia is frustrating at times but a lot of fun--industry will continue to be a problem, but there are several Russian provinces where you can build timber and steel mills that generally have good profitability (in addition to the standard array of start-up factories).

I never go the Laissez-Faire approach, I've rarely had as much succes with it as I have with State capitalism.

The only country I've really had success with LF/liberal parties is the US.

My current APD game as the USA is really heating up. I control all of OTL USA (besides Alaska), Cuba, Saint Maarten, Haiti, and Panama..
But the most interesting development is the collapse of Austria.
The NGF took Bohemia and Tirol. The Ottomans took Croatia, and Dalmatia. Hungary is independent.
Austria is one of the ugliest countries in the world. Ill post screenies later

Laissez faire only works when your literacy is high and you have a good factory in each region. The only problem is that cappies don't delete failed factories so I occasionally have to go into interventionism to get rid of those dumb factories.

My problem with laissez faire economics is that, for some asinine reason, my capitalists build up factories in saturated markets instead of new products. They don't make nearly enough luxury furniture and clothes at the start of the game, despite the good profit margins to be had and constant shortages. I then discover synthetic dyes, refined fuels, electrical gear, and all kinds of other high-value goods that will make a couple keys even with a level 1 factory, and instead they all stand around circle-jerking each other and decide to build another freakin' fertilizer factory because the last dozen went bankrupt, so the next time it's sure to work. Way to go, ace! I'm nationalizin' ya now!

Top Bottom