Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9, working on another

• More than 9

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I can translate GRM to SHP

• Total voters
English is the only language in which I have complete fluency. I have almost achieved fluency in French, although only in reading, writing, and listening-- due to lack of practice, my verbal proficiency lags behind. I also have a smattering of German, and if all goes according to plan I'll have Arabic in a year or two.

English, Spanish (not very fluently), and C++ (very fluently :) ) (I think computer languages count as languages).

English, and studying Latin. I very well may take that in college, and even if I don't, I wish to be fluent in reading it.

(Not speaking it; my teacher always corrects my pronounciation, but I ignore him..'tis worthless to know how to speak it.)

Only one, American English.

Fluent (as in speak, read and write) in 4: English, Tagalog, Mandarin and Hokkien.

Picked up bits and pieces: Malay, Cantonese.

Can read a bit but can't speak: Japanese.

I speak three languages with complete fluency - Texan, Southern, and English (US).

I can half-ass my way through Spanish. Beyond that, I'm toast.

Then again, if the US was like Europe in that there was a different language for every couple of states, I'd speak ten or twenty languages, like I imagine most Europeans do.

ShiplordAtvar said:
Then again, if the US was like Europe in that there was a different language for every couple of states, I'd speak ten or twenty languages, like I imagine most Europeans do.

:lol:

Eh..no.

Besides English I can sucessfully pretend to speak Spanish about half the time, at some point I would like to take classes in it.

I took French for seven years and was once nearly fluent in it but I have forgotten almost all of it due to disuse.

English, and Spanish after four years of study and time in Mexico and Costa Rica. I can carry on conversations, understand, and write in the language, so I would consider myself fluent, especially since I'll be spending my summer in Nicaragua. Now, I'm working on Italian in some free time, will probably take a course at the community college next year and study it full time when I go away to college. Also want to learn Portuguese, French, and German, at some point.

WildFire said:

Seriously??

I had been under the impression that damn near everyone in Europe spoke at least a handful or two of languages.

Am I perhaps giving credit where it isn't due?

Well I've studied English, French, Italian, Latin and Spanish[/i], though I wouldn't be as bold as to say i know them. Although once I get started using them it kinda works pretty good after a day or two.

Anyone else here studied Latin by any chance..?

Also, I'm going to start learning Greek this spring.

So, 5, working on another

How well I master English I leave to the native speakers of that language on this forum to decide.
I have a pretty good command of Romanian, I have acted as an interpretator on a couple of occasions.
I master German satisfactory enough.
I still know some French (I learnt it in high school some 20 years ago, and occasionally I pick up a copy of Le Monde Diplomatique or Europe Echecs), but I would be reluctant to try to speak it with a native.
Of course, as a Norwegian, I understand Swedish and Danish (those three languages are very similar).
I am just about to learn Polish now.

True dat luceafarul, I don't know Norwegian and Danish, but I understand them pretty well (Norwegian more so than Danish) and generally have no problems making myself understood.

I picked 2 - German and English

The results surprised me ... I was expecting many of the Europeans to be fluent in more than 2 languages :confused:

When I had the opportunity to travel abroad I learnt how to say
>Hello
>Thank You
>Excuse Me
>Good Bye
> also the local alcohol (if research informed me it was not hazardous to health) or cider

ShiplordAtvar said:
Seriously??

I had been under the impression that damn near everyone in Europe spoke at least a handful or two of languages.

Am I perhaps giving credit where it isn't due?
almost any European speaks Englsih. Considering most Europeans are not native Englsih speakers, most indeed do speak 2 languages at least.

But fluently? I don't even speak Dutch fluently!

Apart from Dutch, both my English and German are good enough for business. German gets rusty though, since the Germans speak English these days. I also speak some French, and won't die in Spain or Italy.

English obviously.

French - a little - studied at school
German - somewhat less - studied at school
Latin - studied at school
Spanish - I can order drinks and ask for the restroom. Who needs any more than that?

Top Bottom