How would YOU design Israel in Civ 7 if allowed?(Made this because others are also)

No, we'll not be talking about Modern Israel, only Ancient Israel.
I don't will mind if Israel intermix ancient and modern features, for example, the leader should be from ancient times as Davi or Solomon. But the Unique Unit can be a Krav Maga unit, from modern Israel. Or some airplane used in 6 days war.

I don't will mind if Israel intermix ancient and modern features, for example, the leader should be from ancient times as Davi or Solomon. But the Unique Unit can be a Krav Maga unit, from modern Israel. Or some airplane used in 6 days war.
Can we not play into Zionist and American millenarian fantasies?

There is absolutely no reason why Ancient Israel/the Hebrews shouldn't have been included. As mentioned, it shouldn't even be controversial.

Definitely some religion/faith based bonuses/bonii is aprapos. Perhaps economic, as well? Solomon has been considered one of the richest men who ever lived. (All the "rich J*wish bankers are taking over the world" nutcases can go pound sand.)

I am a big proponent of an economic victory of some type. For that reason I love playing Mali and Portugal. Perhaps in Civ VII?

Last edited:
Perhaps economic, as well?
Depends on the time period and which civ. For a united Israel or for Judea, probably not. The Hebrews and Judeans were farmers, vintners, and, above all, shepherds. For the Kingdom of Israel AKA Samaria, yes, absolutely economic bonuses are appropriate; the Samaritans did not go out and trade like the Phoenicians but took ample advantage of being the crossroads of several major trade routes. Unfortunately, abilities that rely on being traded with or having trade routes pass through your territory tend to be painfully situational, which honestly requires some rethinking in Civ7. Likewise, if we're talking about the Kingdom of Judea AKA the Hasmoneans, economic bonuses are very appropriate. TBH Hasmonean Judea led by Salome Alexandra might be the easiest civ to design, especially since Samaria is probably not what anyone is asking for, Judah was a very unimportant minor power, and the United Kingdom, such as it was, was probably little more than a city-state centered on Jerusalem. That being said, I wouldn't say no to the Kingdom of Judah led by Hezekiah, either. Despite its political insignificance, it obviously left a religious legacy that has lasted to the present. That being said, a Judean civ would look much more traditionally Jewish; there were no synagogues, midrashim, yeshivot, etc. in Judah.

Returning to this thread with some new thoughts, I wonder if Nehemiah would make a suitable Leader.

He was the governor of Israel under Artaxerxes II of Persia, I believe, and during his time as governor he oversaw the reconstruction of Jerusalem's walls, reinstated and reformed Religious and Economic practices, and had a good reign longer than ten years. At least, from the records of the Torah and Bible.

If Nehemiah was Leader, I can see him getting an Ability related to Infrastructure, Economy, and Religion, though I don't know what exactly those bonuses would be.

I personally believe these accounts, given I am a Christian, but I wonder what others think of this.

Returning to this thread with some new thoughts, I wonder if Nehemiah would make a suitable Leader.
Judah was not an independent polity at the time; he would be a very strange choice for leader.

At least, from the records of the Torah and Bible.
Nehemiah is long after the Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy). :p The Hebrew Bible is called the Tanakh because it is composed of three parts: the Tōrā (Law), Năḇīʾīm (Prophets), and Kăṯūḇīm (Writings).

I personally believe these accounts, given I am a Christian, but I wonder what others think of this.
I'm also a Christian but would prefer any Israel/Judah/Samaria/Judea civ to be based on extrabiblical as well as Biblical accounts since the target audience of Civ is not only Jews and Christians. I believe Nehemiah's existence and governorship is generally accepted by scholars, but like I said, he ruled over the satrapy of Yehud Medinata, not an independent Judah.

He was the governor of Israel under Artaxerxes II of Persia, I believe, and during his time as governor he oversaw the reconstruction of Jerusalem's walls, reinstated and reformed Religious and Economic practices, and had a good reign longer than ten years. At least, from the records of the Torah and Bible.

If Nehemiah was Leader, I can see him getting an Ability related to Infrastructure, Economy, and Religion, though I don't know what exactly those bonuses would be.

I am a Christian, as well, and the accounts are trustworthy and have stood the test of time.

Nehemiah would be an intetesting choice. 👍

If you want a leader all about infrastructure, economy, and religion I think the best one would just be King Solomon. :)

If you want a leader all about infrastructure, economy, and religion I think the best one would just be King Solomon. :)
Or Salome Alexandra. :p Hezekiah ticks two out of three. :p Of the three kings of United Israel, I'd personally prefer David.

Judah was not an independent polity at the time; he would be a very strange choice for leader.
Fair. On the other hand, at least he actually had a part in ruling it, Gandhi. :p

I think since it is the first time Israel will be in civilization, he need a strong name as Solomon to be the leader. Sorry, but I never heard about Nehemiah.

But, speaking of alternative leader to Jews, we also can have Jesus.

But, speaking of alternative leader to Jews, we also can have Jesus.
Not the best choice considering the vast majority of Jews wanted him dead, and refute him being any kind of spiritual leader to them. :shifty:
I think he'd have a better shot at leading Arabia, not that it would happen at all. At least they see him as a prophet.

Even the temple of Solomon is controrversial! Because why not have the Great Gold Mosque? Who replace the temple of Solomon?
Temple of Solomon was in Civ4 as a religious wonder that could only be built in the holy city of Judaism. For a Mosque as a wonder, I prefer the Great Mosque of Samarra.

I think he'd have a better shot at leading Arabia, not that it would happen at all. At least they see him as a prophet.
That's not any better. Jews would consider Jesus leading any civ to be blasphemous. Christians would consider it sacrilegious. And for Muslims the depiction of prophets, including Jesus, is haram. And the frothing atheists will froth because frothing atheists. So really you've just upset everyone. :p

I think he'd have a better shot at leading Arabia
Of course Maomé should be better to lead Arabia then Jesus...
But for that purpose it is needed to somehow Maomé don't have his face depictured, but his name, in arabish, in the place instead.مُحَمَّد

Jews would consider Jesus leading any civ to be blasphemous.
I don't think so, Jesus was the king of Jews...
But I agree for a first appearence the king Solomon or Davi should be better.

Top Bottom