HUI Game #2 - Boudica

I recommend saving your Forests for Mathematics...Boudica has Aggressive and Charismatic as her traits, which both cut down greatly on early-game hammer costs.

So chances are that if you chop early, you will easily run out of things to build.

Settled in Place and began building a warrior first whilst researching Animal Husbandry to hook up the Pigs.

Spoiler :

And we meet our first neighbor,

Spoiler :

HC, well he must be real close. That much I will say, that rush we have been talking about really seems a sure thing now ... :p and a short while later,

Spoiler :

Our scouts have located our 2nd neighbor located a stone’s throw away from us, and I must say a very tempting looking capital :mischief:, given what I have just seen I would think Egypt must fall first …
Our scout gets killed by a lion … :(

Spoiler :

We finish building our first warrior and start on a worker. And we bump into our third neighbor, this sure is a crowded part of the world …, oh well look here, it’s our old friend is’nt it :p,

Spoiler :

As if he has’nt taken enough punishment in the last game, anyways he came from the east but I am yet to locate his capital.
We finish Researching AH and begin on Mining, we’ve got Horses …. :)

Spoiler :

So the Chariot rush definitely becomes an option here does’nt it? Do we take Egypt with Chariots then? We finish Mining and begin researching BW as planned, here are my thoughts on some initial city placement.

Spoiler :

Feedback please? Also do I settle one of these locations before rushing Egypt? (Maybe the red city) Or do we just go straight in for the rush? Meanwhile we finish building our first worker and begin on another warrior.
Our first warrior who was out exploring finds HC’s capital.

Spoiler :

I think the question of whether or not to rush is irrelevant here, The only decisions we need to make are who do we rush first and with what unit, also can we pull off multiple rushes here? I think it is possible but speed is of essence.
We finish building the warrior and begin on a 2nd worker. Research of BW is complete and we begin researching the wheel. Here are the locations with copper,

Spoiler :

One in a planned city location, and the other just outside HC’s borders on the Tundra. We complete our 2nd worker with the aid of some chopping and begin work on a Barrack next, we are three turns away from the Wheel and will hook up the Horses as soon as we complete researching it. Barracks will be ready by then and we will be ready to spam Chariots which I think is the way to go here, and given the lie of the land Egypt first and then HC, we also need to locate that fool Shaka. Here’s a look at the world as we know it,

Spoiler :

Game save attached.

Attachments

• HUI 2 - BC-2725.CivBeyondSwordSave
    57.9 KB · Views: 110
Guys,

Just a quick reminder,

1) If you are playing a shadow please dont post the progress of your game on this thread.

2) Also dont disclose any info beyond the point up to which i have played the game even in Spoiler tags.

Just a copy paste a reminder from the Introduction -

"Please follow the same protocol as the ALC series, in terms of shadowing etc.

Everyone is invited to offer opinions and advice, and to make your own attempt at playing the same game. But if you do play a "shadow game", I kindly request that you refrain from posting spoilers--i.e. any facts or even hints about the map, opponents, and so on--before I'm there myself. I'm trying to play the game as authentically as possible."

Thanks shafi

^ Sorry, I missed that part. Probably should put it in bold the next time that way others don't make the same mistake.

Road the horsies before the barracks is finished then *Chariot.
Ramesses looks like a juicy target first with gold in his Capital. Let a chariot linger around HC so that he doens't get the copper and take him out after Ramesses. That will leave you in semi-isolation with Shaka (unless there are more neighbors) but with so much land that any Victory Condition will be easy to get.

2 workers -> rax -> 8 chariots -> second capital ;)

Don't settle second city, chop a small army. Thebes is on flat land. Try to time the assault just when Hatty settle his second or third city (so she has spread her troops, you are likely to find 2/3 archers at most). Speed is your weapon, don't delay the attack for more troops.

... then do the same to Huyna (add axes to the mix)... then on Shaka! :)

edit: classical cross post with Kossin :) No rest for the warmongers ;)

Road the horsies before the barracks is finished then *Chariot.
Ramesses looks like a juicy target first with gold in his Capital. Let a chariot linger around HC so that he doens't get the copper and take him out after Ramesses. That will leave you in semi-isolation with Shaka (unless there are more neighbors) but with so much land that any Victory Condition will be easy to get.

2 workers -> rax -> 8 chariots -> second capital ;)

Don't settle second city, chop a small army. Thebes is on flat land. Try to time the assault just when Hatty settle his second or third city (so she has spread her troops, you are likely to find 2/3 archers at most). Speed is your weapon, don't delay the attack for more troops.

... then do the same to Huyna (add axes to the mix)... then on Shaka! :)

edit: classical cross post with Kossin :) No rest for the warmongers ;)

I was thinking along the same lines, this game looks a bit easy, it would be seriously embarrasing if i botched this up :blush:.

I was thinking along the same lines, this game looks a bit easy, it would be seriously embarrasing if i botched this up :blush:.

bah you won't ;) Important is to chop, and chop hard. Try to land 2 or three mines before though (I haven't opened the save, but make sure you are not working forested hills but mined hills)... another tip for ancient era chopping: forest spread in line, not through diagonals. So try to chop forests accordingly (so the forest you just chopped has good chance to regrow)...

edit: :lol: Soirana

Bah ... you know what i mean ... :p

AH for the pigs. Worker will be built after the warrior (worker first would have resulted in idle worker turns)

AH is 19 turns
worker 23. Where you find idle turns?

If you want intentionally play suboptimally it is fine, just do not expect non sarcastic advice.

More importantly, play with the option that show you the numbers on the city bars ;) (think it's called "detailed city info" or something) You won't miss such things with it...

Make sure you send your chariots through the SE corner of Hatties's BFC so you're not attacking across a river.

AH is 19 turns
worker 23. Where you find idle turns?

If you want intentionally play suboptimally it is fine, just do not expect non sarcastic advice.

He would have been idle after pasturing the pigs right? zi dont think Mining could have been researched before he finished on the pigs, in hind sight he could have improved the horse tile after the pig but i did'nt know that when i decided to build the warrior.

Obviously i dont intend to play sub optimally nad the whole reason i even started this series of games is so that people can show me the things that i do wrong.

Shafi : kossin and RRRaskolnikov have summarised your options really well. DoW Ram first then HC is likely the way to go...just keep HC away from the copper if you can to prevent those spears appearing (unless he has copper in his BFC already that is.)

RRRaskolnikov, out of curio, what extra info does the option you mention show?

Soirana: in Shafi’s defence, the lost worker turns actually result from the gap between researching mining and BW that would’ve been there had horses not appeared in Shafi’s BFC (and given the worker something to do). Based on some excel work I did before Shafi’s round, I estimated this to be approx 10 turns (which assumes you continue to work the oasis even after the pig is available to speed research), which I’ve just verified by running a simulation now that Shafi’s just posted. Whilst it’s easy to be wise after the event (with AH revealing horses), it’s always worth remembering that decisions are made in prospect, not retrospect.

PS: Apologies if this sounds offensive but people criticising decisions in retrospect is guaranteed to get me on my soap box.

PPS: You beat me to it Shafi! :)

@learner gamer: the time to grow to next pop and the time to complete the current build. It eases the micro by quite a lot.

^ If push come to shove, you're better off working the pigs for the greater amount of turns and having a few idle turns than working the pigs late. IIRC, I didn't have any idle turns when I played thanks to going after TW after AH. The faster you grow, the faster you can expand.

He would have been idle after pasturing the pigs right? I don't think Mining could have been researched before he finished on the pigs

Specified most important part. If you switch to oasis ASAP [and there is no reason not to do so] AH+Mining is done on turn 27. Worker 23 turns to make. One turn to climb on hill 6 to pasture pig [unless i forgot epic times and it takes something like twelve] = grandtotal 30. Once again there you find loss?

I won't troll your thread further on. Must say you are at least lucky not to be involved in team games involving me as some poor souls were...

Top Bottom