I love you, mother country!

Ooh, I don't know about that.

The point is: there's a lot of details I love about the UK which Mr Agent must be woefully ignorant about. The poor thing! It's not his fault to have the misfortune of being born on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

I'm up for British appreciation. The UK's pretty, it's people are cool, and they've done more for the world in science and literature than pretty much any other country and produced most of the best musicians of the last 60 years.

The British don't know how to make a good cup of coffee.
Same for cheeseburgers and pizza.

Thanks England for treasoning you allies back in Utrecht.

Best Regards,

A Catalan

The point is: there's a lot of details I love about the UK which Mr Agent must be woefully ignorant about. The poor thing! It's not his fault to have the misfortune of being born on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

I know the UK isn't perfect, but neither are my parents. My mom is a YECer who prays for my soul because I'm not, and my dad thinks Newt Gingrich would be a great President. Doesn't mean I don't still love them. Just like I love our mother country!

Mother country? Meh, most Americans today aren't even of British decent. The Brits can wash their hands of us.

My history schooling was traditional and made it clear that American history was rooted in the history of Britain, and England specifically. I often prefer British culture to what passes for it in America, for our cities and land have little history.

Feast your eyes upon this English beauty --

Spoiler :

Rrow. :hatsoff:

(One of Pashley Cycle's works..)

Link to video.
There'll always be an England,
While there's a country lane.
Wherever there's a cottage small beside a field of grain
There'll always be an England
While there's a busy street
Wherever there's a turning wheel,
A million marching feet.

There'll always be an England
And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me.

Mother country? Meh, most Americans today aren't even of British decent. The Brits can wash their hands of us.
~50 million Americans trace their ancestry back to Britain? How many trace their origins back to the British Isles (which includes Ireland)?

On the other hand, how many British people are of British decent? What does the phrase "British decent" mean?

Britain? Decent? No way, Borachio.

The Gambia doesn't agree - as it leaves the Commonwealth. So, it's a big bye bye to the Gambia.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/433987/Its-regrettable-The-Gambia-leaves-Commonwealth-describing-it-as-neo-colonial

Meanwhile, it's a big hello to South Sudan.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2011/10/201110298333766894.html
Hmm... from what I read of The Gambia, good riddance. We don't need backward-thinking idiots like their current leader (really - herbal rubs and bananas cure AIDS?).

~50 million Americans trace their ancestry back to Britain? How many trace their origins back to the British Isles (which includes Ireland)?
Well, I'm not American, but my mother's side of the family is from the British Isles. My dad's side of the family is from Sweden & Norway.

They did make a colossal mess with that North America situation, but they also made a colossus which cultivates the fruit of the world to this day and beyond.

They were pretty good at ravaging civilizations and stealing artifacts to make an ace museum trip.

I'm loving the fact that, when asked to say something nice about Britain, of the few people who answered, most added so many qualifiers or pointed out such small, almost trivial things as to be the internet equivalent of "through gritted teeth"

I wouldn't change it for the world :)

Thank you for the music :) and awesome humour too (and kate beckinsale)

Apparently they (Brits) really like us to.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/02/14-reasons-why-america-is-better-than-britain_n_3533056.html

"Here at HuffPost UK, we confess we have a deep affection for the good ol' US of A. Indeed, we'll readily admit that there are some things which make it better than the good ol' U of K.

So what better way to mark this Fourth of July than by listing some of the reasons why America is probably quite happy to be independent from us? From sports to supermarkets, politicians to pop stars, we've come up with 14 ways in which America beats Britain, below.

(And American friends: we love you, but be warned - we're already planning a list of 14 Reasons Why Britain Is Better Than America. Just make sure you keep Piers Morgan over there, otherwise it's going down to 13.)"

Reason #1 "America is lead by this man" (Obama)

Obama isn't particularly great.

Reason #2 "Britain is lead by this man" (their PM)

I don't know anything about him, so I can't say.

Reason #3 "This is a normal sight in American supermarkets"

haha, wrong.

Reason #4 "This is a normal sight in british supermarkets"

I wouldn't know, but even if that's true it wouldn't make me think less of them.

Reason #5 "This is how they entertain sports spectators at halftime in America"

Is this really an inherently good thing about us though? If anything it just shows how culturally bankrupt we've become.

Reason #6 "This is how they entertain sports spectators in Britain"

I haven't heard him sing, so I can't really make a call.

Reason #7 "America has Las Vegas"

Lol

Reason #8 "Britain has Blackpool"

Haven't heard of Blackpool, so I don't have an informed opinion on it either.

Reason #9 "America has bears"

... You've got to be kidding me now.

Reason #10 "Britain has pigeons"

I've never been particularly fascinated with them, but at least they are far less likely to hurt/kill you.

Reason #11 "American talent show winners go on to win Oscars"

Ok?

Reason #12 "British talent show winners go on to play golf clubs"

I honestly don't know what that even means.

Reason #13 "This is August in New York"

Only legitimate reason I've seen thus far. Sadly August in Texas (where I am) is miserable because it's so hot.

Reason #14 "This is August in London"

At least the rain has been proven to purify the air, thus making it good for your health.

Top Bottom