I want to help this mod

is there anything i can do for the moment... except waiting?

If there are any translations that you think wrong find the text, amend it, check it in game and then post the compressed files you have changed here and I will see to merging them in. The only problem is I don't get much time at the moment.

Just something like this?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_TECH_ANIMAL_RIDING</Tag>
<English>
<Text>The following morning, Bellerophontes hid in the bushes waiting for Pegasus to come. Wise enough, he waited longer for Pegasus to kneel so he can sit on his back. When that finally happened, Bellerophontes slipped the bridle given by Athena, onto Pegasus’s head. The flying horse flew into the air trying to shake the intruder off from his back. When he realized that he had an experienced and skillful man on his back, Pegasus gave up and surrendered.</Text>
</English>

Source:

http://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/myth-pegasus-bellerophontes/

Yes that is exactly the sort of thing we need for anything that is missing or needs changing. However it would be better if it was in the correct text file and a compressed version added to your post.

also dont WE have a quotes thread, if so i think that is where this belongs, no offense . .

This thread is about helping out. The fact that the missing bit is also a quote is not the point.

@MacCoise and Parsec

When making changes to text it is better all round if you post batches of a few files (as an attachment to your post in a compressed form) at a time as you complete them. This will make it easier for me, or someone else, to get some time to examine them and merge them in.

Next question

if the german tags are empty, or not even there... adding them is ok?
i guess if they are not present, the english tags will be used

Next question

if the german tags are empty, or not even there... adding them is ok?
i guess if they are not present, the english tags will be used

Yes the way C2C is programmed it uses the English if there is no entry for any other language. Same for empty entries. This allows us to have smaller text files as otherwise you have to put the English version in for each of the languages supported.

okay.. first files with german added
i used small once for warm up

if any mistakes.. please tell me

Attachments

• translate_1.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 143
The biggest problem imho is translating stuff where there is not even a word in German...
thank god i know a german teacher :D

Sometimes the english word is just used, e.g. computer (although it would be capitalized in german) and in some bizarre cases a completely different english word is used in german, like "Handy" for "cellular phone" - I think people thought of "handheld" here. Then there are a few cases where the original german word is used in english, like kindergarten and (possibly) hamburger (again, capitalized in german).

Then there are cases that are almost insane, like: English "eagle" is german "Adler", german "Igel" (pronounced exactly like "eagle") is "hedgehog". The german word "grillen" means "to barbecue" if it is a verb, but "crickets" if it's a noun (and thus capitalized). "Who" and "Where" is translated "Wer" and "Wo", exactly counterintuitive.

@tmv

to give a specific example "master hunter".. how to translate this to german.

Meisterjäger? (i've chosen this one)
Jägermeister? i dont think so :)
Jagd-Meister? sounds strange...

this is a good example for the difficulties i mentioned, but its a realy interesting work to deal with your own language

Without looking into your stuff, do you know that you can specify the gender of words in the XML, too?

And probably it's a good idea to not translate it literally but instead name it "erfahrender Jäger" or probably "Elite Jäger" (á la Age of Empires 2).
But Meister Jäger doesn't sound too bad to me either.

I wouldn't call it "erfahrener Jäger" (experienced hunter) since that implies a regular hunter with experience, and the regular hunter never becomes a master hunter.

"Elite-Jäger" (elite huter) is a bit better, but at least with SM you end up thinking your regular hunter can get there one day.

If it wasn't for a certain bunny, the term "Nimrod" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod) could be used to designate a master hunter.

So, I've been working on rewriting the Python for volcanoes and learning as I go. I think I've got enough of a handle on things now to be able to actually help with things rather than just playtesting. I'm afraid I have no artistic or graphics ability whatsoever, and a lot of the XML/Text/Pedia work is too time-consuming and insufficiently interesting for me. Anyway, how can I help? Preferably things that are independent of core changes, so that I don't inadvertently break anything and can bumble along at my own pace when I've got the time. Particularly, is there a master to-do list somewhere?

Given that you're working on python, you would be best to collaborate with DH for now imo.

You know... We could really use someone to fix and improve the map scripts. Toffer was working on a new one but the ones we have probably need some work and that might be right up your alley for the type of skillset you're bringing to the table. Just a suggestion. My wife's current worst gripe about C2C is not having a mapscript she really likes.

If you're into that, I could possible try to get her to explain what she finds so very frustrating about our current options.

Last edited:
Hi,
I've been a lurker on this forum for ages and C2C is actually more or less the only game that I play on my oversized gaming-rig (since it is better than any new game being released). I've been playing C2C since I stumbled across it back in V13, and I couldn't imagining going back to vanilla Civ again (especially not the newer abominations).

Anyhow I would really like to help you guys out. You've provided me with infinite hours of fun and I'd really like to pay you back somehow.

Unfortunately my RL work is all about grasping new stuff and all so I prefer to not do the same on my spare time (except for when I start a C2C game on a new SVN that is) so modding isn't really for me. I also keep a rather strict SVN policy on my civ installation (I only change SVN when I start a new game) so I couldn't really help you guys with playtesting.

On the good side though I actually often enjoy menial work (call me weird but at work I can spend days creating, sorting and filtering customer lists in excel without being bored). So I'd love to take some of that menial labour off your shoulders if you have some. Anyone of you guys who could benefit from having someone else do the "basic" crap while you focus on the advanced parts instead?

As for me I'm a 35 year old swede with basically no pesky RL to talk about except from work. So no family and other things that tend to get in the way :)

I consider myself fairly bright and I tend to get the hang of how stuff fits together and understand the inner logics fairly quick. I'm also fairly proficient with English even though it is only a second language for me. I have no education within IT but I still have a fairly good understanding of several areas within IT (and have a senior IT role workwize). As for python I have encountered it some in my work (some of our applications are written in python) but Iäm not proficient enough to read it and absolutely not good enough to write it (I began and quit programming on C64)

And I just keep editing this post :) ... just wanted to add that I have at least a couple of hours a week (and some weeks plenty more) that I cans ee myself investing in helping you guys out.

Best Regards
Jon

Last edited:
I've been a lurker on this forum for ages and C2C is actually more or less the only game that I play on my oversized gaming-rig (since it is better than any new game being released). I've been playing C2C since I stumbled across it back in V13, and I couldn't imagining going back to vanilla Civ again (especially not the newer abominations).
I've seen you around before. Thanks for being such a die-hard fan and for the kind words of encouragement!

On the good side though I actually often enjoy menial work (call me weird but at work I can spend days creating, sorting and filtering customer lists in excel without being bored). So I'd love to take some of that menial labour off your shoulders if you have some. Anyone of you guys who could benefit from having someone else do the "basic" crap while you focus on the advanced parts instead?
Hell yeah! I'm a little strange in that I enjoy that part as much or more than the deeper stuff, which can make my head spin. Of course, more often than not I'm spending my time on the deeper stuff because that's where the work is really needed most. Still, I have a few existing basic tasks that need to be accomplished soon so I can complete my trait designs and to help setup looking into some other problem areas in the mod.

Here's the main one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1blJHi8tOxd51JomARwPWBo3PyfOEOyeI0xDjvv-J75c/edit#gid=0
That's the start of the building review document. What I'm needing to first accomplish here is to:
1) Make sure that ALL buildings in our xml are shown here. Looks like some of Pepper's modmod stuff is included as well which is fine because he'll be including those soon after release into the core anyhow. I'm very happy he's helping there too when he can. But as I was going through our xml, I was finding a number of buildings aren't included so that would be one part of the task goal.

2) All the building <type> tags need to be connected to their Descriptions. This is the part I'm immediately most concerned with fleshing out.

From there we can talk about additional steps to creating a truly useful breakdown of buildings so we can show progressions and era advances and so on, which is what is going to lead to being able to use this data for finalizing my trait designs and to help in rebalancing some of the values on those buildings, as well as finding where we have gaps in our progressions. We need to chart out our building upgrade trees and see where we have surges of particular values being given to cities at particular points on the tech tree. Some xml tags are particularly problematic but I want to set this up for evaluation for any and all of the building tags eventually.

So the way I was going about this was to start by opening up the Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml document in Assets/XML/Buildings in Notepad++ (a MUST HAVE free program if you're going to assist here) and search for all <Type> instances then go through each one and match it up to its <Description> tag reference. To do that, I take what's inside the Description tag, such as: TXT_KEY_BUILDING_3D_BODY_ATLAS and put that into a grepWin (another MUST HAVE free program) search of the Assets/XML/Text folder (well... if I already have a text document open, I'll usually search for it in all open folders in Notepad++ first but if I don't find it or I'm just starting then I do the grepWin search) and once the TXT_KEY is found in one of those documents I just right-click on the document in grepWin and open in Notepad++. THEN I search for the text key in that document and I find there what the description actually is.

Now, mind you that going through this list, I don't ALWAYS search for the text key because the connection between the <Type> and a description that's already listed on that Google Document is obvious that it's the same thing. BUT, now and then you'll find you aren't 100% sure or you've found that, oddly, you can't seem to find the match - on many occasions this may mean that you've found a building we have in the mod that wasn't in the mod when the original list was made and you've got to now add a line to add this building.

By physically checking each and every building tag we'll be absolutely sure that this list is accurate.

Other buildings exist in the other BuildingInfos files in Assets/XML/Buildings but they are generally in other categories and I'm more than happy to have those go in other pages in that document. Eventually, they'll need to be given the same treatment but they aren't as high a priority as the standard buildings in this case. And there are also more standard buildings to be found in the Assets/Modules folders, so once we've got the main buildings file completed, those will have to be added in next.

Once all buildings in the mod are on that list, we can talk about next steps to take.

So this is totally mind-numbing menial stuff here but it's also a good platform to grow some deeper mod familiarity on. Does this fit the bill you were looking for? It's something I was going to be doing soon and have done a lot of already as you can see. I'm deeply thankful for those who went before me to help get this started too.

Hi TB,
Honestly I'm ferling abit starstrucked that you remember one of my few posts.

This sounds exactly like the type of "monkeywork" I had in mind.

I'm travelling with work today and tomorrow but then I'll look into this.

Any specific reason that you use wingrep instead of notepad++'s built in function to look through files and search whole folders and similar? (Haven't used that function in notepad++ for something like a year but I remember it as quite good)

Br
Jon

Any specific reason that you use wingrep instead of notepad++'s built in function to look through files and search whole folders and similar? (Haven't used that function in notepad++ for something like a year but I remember it as quite good)
I suppose it's because I know how to use it and it's very fast.

Glad to hear that would be up the alley you were looking for! Really been needing to get that done!

Wow! :D :thumbsup: Merry Christmas TB.

JosEPh

Top Bottom