1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to help this mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 8, 2016.

1. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

No worries, I'll be downloadin the latest SVN today and then I plan on spending some time with these documents on Sunday hopefully. I'll let you know if there's something I don't understand in your instructions

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Awesome! My ability to work on this to fill small bits of free time has just been constricted a bit too so your help is, again, extraordinarily beneficial here!

3. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

Sorry If I seem a bit dumb but what exactly am I looking for/fixing here?

I had a look att the first three buildings in the Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml file but I didn't really grasp from your instructions what I'm looking for or what irregularities to look for.

If we take the first one for example:
    <Type>BUILDING_3D_BODY_ATLAS</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_3D_BODY_ATLAS</Description>

the description is also present on line 9 in Buildings_CIV4GameText.xml
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_3D_BODY_ATLAS</Tag>

So I assume that all is correct (you also have it filled out in your Google doc with the correct type). Am I only supposed to look at the ones you haven't filled out in the google doc or all of them, and what more precisely am I looking for that could be wrong?

If I instead look at wild herbs thats close to the bottom in your Google doc I get the following from Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml (starts on line 110730)
    <Type>BUILDING_WILD_HERBS</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WILD_HERBS</Description>

and on line 335 in Hydro_CIV4GameText
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WILD_HERBS</Tag>

So all that is missing here would then be your Google doc which I should then update with BUILDING_WILD_HERBS as Type, right?

My thought was to simply take every building top to bottom in Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml (fairly simple to keep track of since I can use Notepad++ to minimize every building I'm done with) but that way I'd only get the buildings (for now) that are present in that file. Was that your thought/plan, and is the target here to only update the Google doc with the correct type and to make sure that there's a match in the Assets\XML folder? Or have I misunderstood you?
    And, if I'm correct in understand that all I should do for now is to update the Google doc with any Type info that isn't listed there and to make sure that the decsription is also present as a Type in Assets/XML then how would you like me to "report" what buildings misses the tag (in case I don't find the faulty tag and correct it that is?

BR
    Jon

4. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB

Just to do something useful while is till don't fully understand what it is you need me to do (probably just me being stupid) I've run some comparisons of the files.

The following Types in Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml does not exist as Descriptions:
    Spoiler :
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_ADVENTURE_FRANCHISE
    BUILDING_ALUMINUM_FACTORY
    BUILDING_ARTIST_GUILD
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_MCDOWELLS_RESTAURANT
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_BULLSEYE_STORE
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_BURGERWORLD_RESTAURANT
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_EWTRADE_STORE
    BUILDING_PUBLIC_SCHOOL
    BUILDING_EMPCLOTH_STORE
    BUILDING_FASHION_STORE
    BUILDING_ESTATE
    BUILDING_MANOR
    BUILDING_VILLA
    BUILDING_JEWELLERY
    BUILDING_TOURNAMENT
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_MALLWART_STORE
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_MILEHIGH_FRANCHISE
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_MOBBY_STORE
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_MOONBEAN_SHOP
    BUILDING_EGYPTIAN_OBELISK
    BUILDING_PALISADE
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_RED_THEATER
    BUILDING_REVIVALIST_CHURCH
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_SAFARI_GUIDE
    BUILDING_SHAMANHUT
    BUILDING_SHANTYTOWN
    BUILDING_STEEL_MILL
    BUILDING_ABYSSINIA_STELE
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_ULTSOLDIER_TRAINER
    BUILDING_CORPORATION_WONKA_SHOP

The following Descriptions in Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml does not exist as Types
    Spoiler :
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_ADVENTURE_FRANCHISE
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SMELTER_ALUMINUM
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ARTIST_GUILD2
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_MCDOWELLS_RESTAURANT
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_BULLSEYE_STORE
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_BURGERWORLD_RESTAURANT
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_EWTRADE_STORE
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ELEMENTARY_SCHOOL
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_EMPCLOTH_STORE
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_FASHION_STORE
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ESTATE2
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_MANOR2
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_VILLA2
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_JEWELRY_STORE
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_JOUSTING_ARENA
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_MALLWART_STORE
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_MILEHIGH_FRANCHISE
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_MOBBY_STORE
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_MONUMENT
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_MOONBEAN_SHOP
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_OBELISK
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_PALISADE_WALL
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_RED_THEATER
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_REVIVALIST_CHURCH2
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_SAFARI_GUIDE
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SAGE_HUT
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SHANTYTOWN2
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SMELTER_STEEL
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_STELE
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_ULTSOLDIER_TRAINER
    TXT_KEY_CORPORATION_WONKA_SHOP

The following Descriptions does not exist as Tags in any file in Assets\XML
    Spoiler :
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_GERMAN_ASSEMBLY_PLANT
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SPANISH_CITADEL
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CARTHAGE_COTHON
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ROMAN_FORUM
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_MONGOL_GER
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ARABIAN_MADRASSA
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_INDIAN_MAUSOLEUM
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_MONUMENT
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_GREEK_ODEON
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CHINESE_PAVILLION
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_JAPANESE_SHALE_PLANT
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_STABLE
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_INCAN_TERRACE
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_VIKING_TRADING_POST

And the following Descriptions occur more than once as Tags in Assets\XML
    Spoiler :
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SPY_NETWORK
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SPY_TRAINING_FACILITY
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SPY_HIDEOUT
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SPY_SAFE_HOUSE

Hopefully that is helpful info.

Please all, if this is the wrong thread for me to post this just let me know.

BR
    Jon

5. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

It is; I'll do some clean up based on it.
    Thanks.

P.S. This is absolutely the right thread for it. ^^

6. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

@B.I.B

from what i am seeing here, from looking at a few in each area u ref: they are fine, some in the descip just have a 2 on the end .. I hope u are using grepWin, it is the best for searching stuff out, and once u search u can just choose the file by clicking on it in the search area . . its really fast that way . . what exactly does TB want u to do by any chance??

7. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

Thanks both of you, if I can help you with any cleanup based this Toffer please let me know.

@strategyonly
    They way I did this, since I assume 100% correct matches are needed, is by doing the comparisons in Open Office Calc equivelent just using a simple countif(). That way it would n't matter if its just a 2 in the end that's wrong or not, it would still show up as wrong (it took a bit of tedious CTRL-C CTRL-V to get all the XML files inserted in a usable way in Calc but after that it was fairly straight forward). As for searching I prefer to do that by searching the directory from within Notead++ but I think that works more or less the same ass grepWin. The instructions from TB, that I unfortuantely didn't fully understand are from page 2 in this thread.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Absolutely! You've got it. That's the first thing I'm looking to do is make sure that all buildings are in that google doc and connected between their text name and their Type key properly and that buildings that are in the document that aren't in the xml are removed and buildings that are in the xml but not in the building document are added. For buildings that aren't in the xml, we do need to wait until all building files are checked before removing them from the document though, and you're right that they aren't ALL in that one building file. Many are in other building files in the XML/Buildings folder and there are then quite a few in building files in the Modules folders. But let's get through this core monster file first.

No... you've understood me perfectly! Awesome!
    The text as you see it displayed in the game is in the Assets/XML/Text folder, usually in the building text file but sometimes it might be elsewhere. The TXT_KEY reference shown in the <Description></Description> tag refers to the <TEXT><Tag>TXT_KEY</Tag><TEXT> listed in whatever Text file it happens to be in. So you can find the file by grep searching the TXT_KEY_YADA_YADA text in the Assets/XML/Text folder. Then when you open the file it's in, you search the file and find it and you'll see right there the words that the game refers to when delivering the text key to your screen. That's what needs to be matched up to in the Google Doc. We might find quite a few spelling errors there and those should be fixed. I've already found quite a few. Not that this is the reason for doing this but it's something we should be looking for along the way.

Does this make sense? I can put together a quick video to show you what I'm trying to say, clumsily, in writing here if you need me to.

Exactly! Teach a man to fish Toffer! That part of the project should be easily sewn up as he finds the discrepancies. BIB... please PM me your sourceforge username (if you don't have one go get registered!) and I'll give you SVN access and some instructions there so you can commit your fixes when you find them. Pretty light teamwork stuff at the moment but we'll gradually expand the role, I'm sure. This work we're doing is to establish a platform for a whole lot more. I'm just keeping it to as simple as possible for the time being. One step at a time.

At this point, let me know if there's still anything you don't understand exactly. It's helpful to think of grepWin as the program that helps you find the right file the text you're looking for is in and gives you the ability to quickly open that file in Notepad++ while once in N++ you can immediately search your way to the exact point IN the file where the text exists.

9. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

So for now I'll go through the Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml one building at a time and make sure that I do the following:
    * make sure that <Type> and <Description> is the same
    * find the file in Assets/XML/Text where the <Description> is listed as a <Tag> (do you need to know what file it is?)
    * find the proper place in the Google doc by matching you column "Description" with the <english> in the XML
    * If needed update your Google doc column <Type> with the <Type> from Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
    * and if your Google doc doesn't have an entry for for the building I'll add it

As for SVN updating I'd rather not for the time being, if that's ok with u guys. don't want to mess things up and then don't have the time to fix it right away.

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

No... not necessary. Just that the display text be represented accurately in the spreadsheet.

Everything else as listed, is exactly what I'm asking for. We're on track! (SWEET!)

As for the SVN, that's fine but you do realize it could be a lot more efficient if you did. But for now, just correct things that need corrected then upload us the file that has the correction and one of us will make sure it gets put in place on the SVN. Gives a quick merge audit by a second pair of eyes and that can help. That's at least faster than just pointing out the problems one at a time here.

Also, if you would, keep me posted now and then on the progress so I'll get an idea of how fast it's getting towards completion. I'm not asking so I can judge that like a boss or anything, just so that it can help me with prioritizing my own project actions.

11. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

Np, I will. Then it'll be easy for you to know if work has forced me off the grid again as well :)

@Toffer90 Just to be clear, the missing Tags/Descriptions I listed above covers the full Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml file so there should be no other missing ones in that one

12. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I got the impression that you were thorough right away, so I don't doubt your veracity.

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Just want to say Thank You B.I.B and Team.

14. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I've uploaded a fix for what needed to be done for:
    BUILDING_ALUMINUM_FACTORY
    BUILDING_ARTIST_GUILD
    In SVN revision 9536.

You may look at SVN context menu → Show Log → and right click the file you want to compare "what was" to "how I made it"
    Nothing was really wrong here, they were pointing to their correct text, but the tag names was a mess. So we would want to change building and buildingclass tag names for these two.
    Changing that type of tag name is bad for existing saves/games, so it will have to wait until we decide it is time to break save game compatibility once more.
    Changing the TXT_KEY type tag name can be done without breaking save compatibility so I changed those to the form we eventually want the BUILDING and BUILDINGCLASS names to have.

Edit:
    I've uploaded a fix for what needed to be done for:
    BUILDING_PUBLIC_SCHOOL
    BUILDING_ESTATE
    In SVN revision 9542.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  15. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB sorry for the silence from me. Got distracted a bit but I'll give the files a go in the weekend so hopefully you'll have an update from me on Sunday.

/Jon

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Cool. Thanks for the update!

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@Thunderbrd

Oh this reminds me, we need a current version put into the Download section of our SVN Sourceforge account. The one that is there is from 2015 and it's an FPK update. Else if you go down the short list we have there, there is only a 2012 or 2013 full version of C2C. Only T-brd, koshling or alberts2 has the authority to update that list in that section. I tried but it would not let me.

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

19. dsma_bell

dsma_bell Chieftain

Hello,

several years ago, I did some german translations for this mod (the Animals for example). For quite a while I didn't have the time for C2C translations. Now I tried to return and upload some new german translations, but the authorization failed. The download of the current files worked properly.Thunderbrd wrote, that he cannot recall my work, so I need someone to vouch for my previous contributions. (I was activated around March 2012 according to my introduction post at the C2C SVN Changelog thread.)

Thanks a million!

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

This is the only post I could find with you saying Koshling had added you. And that you had a question. Which it seems no one ever answered either.

That was a hectic time back then on March 12 2012, the team was prepping for v22 release and koshling had made a new AI attack stack evaluation code.

Looks like you got lost in all the hustle and bustle to get v22 ready.

No wonder T-brd doesn't remember you he was not actively modding at that time either it would seem. koshling has long since stopped modding, ls612 moved on, vokarya moved on to AND2, Aveum dissapppeared, Hydro stopped modding and just recently came back after 2 yr hiatus, and DH is leaving to make his own mod. And I finally joined the team about 1 1/2 yrs ago after being a critic and tester since the Mod started. Finally StrategyOnly, because of health issues, is not very active and only rarely mods his own mod too.

strategyonly likes this.