1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to help this mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I'm installing VS2008 now. By the start of next week I should be able to work on the bugs again, because this weekend I'll be pretty busy with college projects.

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

3. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

I use Visual Studio 2017 because the Community Edition is free and has all the features of the Professional Edition. Since Visual Studio 2015 there is even a Profiler included which could help to see the performance impact of the changes you make.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Aside from downloading VS2017, would there be any other steps to get things setup properly to use it?

5. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

Now there's a modular installer that downloads, installs and updates only the things you need. For C2C only 'Desktop deployment with C++' would be necessary.

That's all you need the only thing that needs to be setup are the C++ include directories for the IntelliSense but that's the same as it was in the older versions.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

And what are those again... they've long ago blended into the file folder soup and been forgotten as to what they were for me.

7. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB
    Sorry that I haven't updated .. I've been doing a little here and a little there and no single time has given enough progress to warrant an update ... but I'm now on line 82077 so actually some real progress has been made

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That's cool... it's been taking me a little longer than I'd hoped to do these cost recalibrations on units and I still have who knows how much further to go. I'll probably be done and moving on to buildings by the end of this weekend though and whatever you've been able to accomplish will be very helpful at that point.

9. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

I was planning to be finished with the current file by the end of the weekend so that should fit well

10. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB
    Finally done with Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml

Spoiler Some errors found :

This one seems mixed up
    <Type>BUILDING_ALUMINUM_FACTORY</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SMELTER_ALUMINUM</Description>

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SMELTER_ALUMINUM</Tag> in Buildings_CIV4GameText.xml
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ALUMINUM_FACTORY</Tag> in Buildings_CIV4GameText.xml

This one seems a bit mixed up as well
    <Type>BUILDING_ARTIST_GUILD</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ARTIST_COLONY</Description>

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ARTIST_COLONY</Tag> in Buildings_CIV4GameText.xml

The following have their name misspelled
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_PSYCHOSCANNER</Tag>
    <English>
    <Text>Pyschoscanner</Text>
    Should be Psychoscanner

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ORGAN_FACTORY</Tag>
    <English>Replecement Organ Factory</English>
    Should be Replacement Organ Factory

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CONSPIRATORS_HIDEOUT</Tag>
    <English>Conspirators' Hidout</English>
    Should be Conspirators' Hideout

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Great work! Thank you for all your help!

As you can see, I've been coming in behind you and doing some further work here, applying the prereq techs, x-grid those make the building sit at, and adding their re-evaluated building costs to the document, as well as giving an initial audit to their 'categories' (something that isn't so much a game effect as a modder tool at the moment.)

At this point, if you're still up for helping, we need to go through all the regular building files in the modules folders.

You might need to be careful there and open up the BuildingClassInfos.xml files as well and make sure that the buildings included on that first 'standard building' list that we're currently working on don't have any Global or National limits... if they do they should be included in the National or Global Wonders pages. (If they don't, they have a -1 in the stated limit slots.) This is where we're going to find all the named buildings in that list that weren't in the core xml building file.

There may, however, be some that still don't get verified once all the modular building files are covered... those will then be removable from our master document list.

Good catches on the misspells.

Good catches there too by the way. I'll jump on those on this end.

The strange, seemingly mixed up description labels come from slightly clumsy after original edits. I think I've seen both of those and made sure they were as intended previously. It's not normal to have the name differ from the type as such but without changing the type, or letting the name differ completely from the text in the reference, this is an OK method of resolving things. It should probably get re-aligned properly when we have our next savegame compatibility breakage.

What you've done here has been a huge benefit... thanks again!

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  12. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

I'd love to help more ... I'm soon leaving for a 2 week vacation though and summer is coming up so I won't be as digital during the upcoming months. So don't excpect any fast work from me (as if that's what Iäve delivered so far :) )

But if that's fine for you then please give me a dumbed down explanation of what you need done (that doesn't include SVN uploading) and I'll get to it. Preferably xml/excel/text stuff

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Same as what you've been doing. We just now need to do it for the buildinginfo.xml files in all the modules. (Assets/Modules/each individual one may have a regular building in its xml files and we need to find those and include them in our online document.)

14. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

Noprobs, I'll start working on it tonight.

Is it fine with you if I simply add everyone as a new line in your docuument (and then we can clear out the ones lacking the tag info afterwards) or would you rather have me search for the entry in your document first before adding a new line if it doesn't exist? The first option would be way quicker.

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The document is alphabetized so shouldnt be too hard to find if or where the current line is if it exists. Obviously it can be rearranged later... Actualy i can see a benefit in just doing it as you would prefer because id have less chance of an error in what i'm doing here so yeah just add new lines and then we can remove duplicates later.

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Having the name and the folder it is in may be useful later because duplicates may not be duplicates but modifications to the core building due to having the mod in or out.

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I agree that can certainly be an interesting issue. If the Type entry doesn't include the <Description> tag, then it would be an edit and would not be an entry necessary to include. I don't think we have any edit or modification entries on a building where that entry also gives a <Description> tag usage.

@B.I.B. : Does this make sense? DH is probably best to explain how modular entries can be used as edits to the core entries but if you're going through modules, it's important to know this can happen. When it does, it will have the same <Type> tag as another entry, either in another module or in the core (usually in the core file which is what you've just finished going through.) But it won't have every tag used that is used in the core... just the ones it wants to change about the core version. So if a modder wanted the Berry Bush to add +1 gold when the module file is active, he would include a building info file in his module that included a <Type>BUILDING_BERRY_BUSH</TYPE> line, which you could find on the standard Berry Bush object definition in the main core file as well. But here, in the module, the berry bush would then only list the CommerceChangeTypes tag that would give the +1 gold while generally not including much of any other tags. Since this entry in the modules doesn't have a <Description> tag in use, you can know that it is an edit and not include it at all on this document.

18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I have used it to change the <Help>, <Strategy> and <Pedia> tags but not the <Description> one.

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Perfect! I figured as much. I'd prefer we just keep one line on THIS building document for any particular building type, even if it has some edits in the modules. Usually modular edits just make sense and are based on conditional situations being introduced in that module. We can keep notes sections for helping us understand conditional modular edits when we get into evaluating the exact tags that ARE being modified. I'm not necessarily intending that to be a part of this core documentation. Not yet anyhow.

20. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

:lol: I have just come across an instance where I would need to change the <Description> tag but so far it is only on a tech not a building. If I were making the "evolving religion" mod I would need to change the "Animism" tech, but only to rename it to something else.