1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to help this mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ok well thanks for vouching for him Joe! Looks like I will just need you to PM me your sourceforge username dsma_bell.
    Your help with translations is always welcome. I just needed to validate trusted status for modder access. I'm sure you can understand.

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@dsma_bell,
    When you update a translation and commit to the SVN, Please post a brief summary of your changes and revision number in the SVN Changelog thread. Please.

3. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB
    Didn't get as much done today as I had hoped for, but I'll try to get a bit more done each day this week.

Tmorrow I'll start on the brewery on line 15.848 in Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos. Not much thats needed fixing yet, just a few where your Google doch didn't match the english name of the building (mainly Typos) so I sorted those out.

found three building that's problematic though:

Spoiler :

<Type>BUILDING_ALUMINUM_FACTORY</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SMELTER_ALUMINUM</Description>

Could be either of:
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SMELTER_ALUMINUM</Tag> in Buildings_CIV4GameText.xml
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ALUMINUM_FACTORY</Tag> in Buildings_CIV4GameText.xml

I ran a check for SMELTER_ALUMINUM in Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos and found no other building referring to TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SMELTER_ALUMINUM but I also found no other building referring to TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ALUMINUM_FACTORY in Regular_CIV4BuildingInfos

Spoiler :

<Type>BUILDING_ARTIST_GUILD</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_ARTIST_COLONY</Description>

You have two buildings in your Google Doc (Artist Guild and Artist Colony) but this is the only one I found so I assume this is the only one that exists (It is called Artist Colony in its English description). I didn't change anything in you Google doc though (didn't dare)

Spoiler :

<Type>BUILDING_GERMAN_ASSEMBLY_PLANT</Type>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_GERMAN_ASSEMBLY_PLANT</Description>

This one doesn't exist in any file under Text , I also tested a search for just ASSEMBLY_PLANT but didn't find anything on that either. since I could find it referred in any text document I didn't change anyhting in your Google doc.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'll never be dissatisfied with any amount of effort given. All I can ever be is appreciative of what has been done! Thanks again!

This building probably started off being called the Aluminum Smelter and used the text key for that but then was later changed and rather than eliminating the old text key, a new one was added. We should probably at least comment out the old text key reference in the XML.

Probably same as above except that when the doc was initiated, we had an Artist Guild and since then it's been renamed Artist Colony and the last person updating the list didn't remove the Artist Guild from that list either. At the point where we've gone through all of the XML building documents, we will know for sure if the Artist Guild entry in the spreadsheet is to be removed, so it can be safely left there as you did for now.

There's two options as to where the TXT KEY could be referring to then. One is the Modules folder... I assume you probably included that in your grep search. The other is one of the foundational core TXT files.

If the system cannot find any xml type referred to, including text keys, in the mod files, it will then check the Beyond the Sword xml files. If it cannot find it there, it will then check the Warlords (if it exists) xml files. If it cannot find it there, it will then check the Civilization IV xml files. Only if it fails to find the reference in all of those will the loading of the XML that refers to the missing type reference deliver an error (usually). TXT_KEY references won't give any dramatic errors... you'll just see them displayed as exactly the text key reference as written if it couldn't find a text to match to it, aka, the building name in the pedia would thus just say TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WHATEVER.

I suspect that this TXT_KEY_BUILDING_GERMAN_ASSEMBLY_PLANT was probably a Unique Building from Vanilla BeyondtheSword or even as far back as Civilization IV unexpanded at all. Check those text files. I have a feeling you'll be able to find them pretty easily now that you know they are there.

5. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

For now I'm just Writing the odd ones down in a separate document and I'll look more closely on them when I'm done with going through the file. Just let me know if you want me to keep from reporting the odd ones here for now.

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

It was in RoM and early AND. Several Cultures/Civs had Unique Buildings (UB) as well as units (UU). This was one of those UBs for Germany. Like the UB Celtic Dun (wall) and the Khmer Baray.

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I realize that... but are you sure that doesn't go back to Vanilla CivIV?

8. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB Didn't get too much done today, but a little each day and I'll get somewhere I suppose. Done up until line 23376 now at least (might sound a lot but its only 20% of the xml).
    No exciting errors, just some minor typos in your Google Doc that I sorted and one building that was missing from the doc, you'll find that one on line 321 in the doc (I assume you want to fill out some additional info for it) - burial ground

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The additional info will be from edit projects to come. Finding the unincluded and adding them in here is the main thing we're looking to accomplish... Well one of them anyhow.

You are doing great. Never lament what you havent done yet. Just be proud of what you accomplished with what time you could find to accomplish it. Not giving up is the most honest achievement.

And yeah, 20% of the base buildings reviewed for anything in C2C is a huge undertaking as it is so great progress!

10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Big Plus 1 :D

11. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB
    Spent all evening yesterday playing C2C so unfortunately no work in the XMLs (sorry but playing C2C has priority)
    Got some work done today though, and finally I've moved ahead of you in the Google doc so now it feels like I'm doing more than just double checking what you've already done.
    Currently I'm on line 32147 in the XML

Added the following missing buildings to the Google doc so you'll probably want to classify them:
    Community Discussions
    Copper Reclamation
    Cricket Gatherer
    Cricket Sanctuary
    Culinary School
    Debtor's Prison
    Delivery Drone Control Center
    Designer Probiotics Clinic

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Perhaps I should mention that categorizing is the next task... If its obvious enough, by all means go ahead. These are not going to be game effect categories as i originally thought but rather ways to help us look at more focused lists. Whether we categorize them or not is less important than I had thought it would be but if done effectively it could still be helpfull. Later it will be a bigger deal.

13. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB
    Been lots of C2C gaming the last few days (long national holidays so no work), but I finally did some more on the XMLs now.

On line 43115 (37%) now so its moving forward. :)

Added the following to the spreadsheet (no categorization done, it "messes" with the flow)
    Digital Art Museum
    Diskette Factory
    Surgeon's Office
    Downdraft Tower
    Dragonfly Gatherer
    Dragonfly Sanctuary
    Dream Visualizer
    Dreamtime Machine
    Drop Zone
    Dung Beetle Gatherer
    Dye Factory
    Earthworm Gatherer
    Ecomegatower
    Electroactive Polymer Factory
    Electronic Security System
    Entomology Lab
    Excrement Holes
    Executioners Hut
    Fresco Mural
    Fusion Power Plant

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Thats why I didnt say we should categorize yet because it can make the process much more time consuming. Ill look at the categories of buildings very soon as Im nearing completion of establishing new training costs for all units and afterwards buildings are up and the first step to establishing construction cost will be to categorize and organize them by techs. So if you can get this project completed within a couple of weeks here it will be infinitely helpful to that upcoming project! Thanks for all the help on this. I know it can feel a bit like swimming the english channel.

15. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

Shouldn't be a problem, depending on how many more files with buildings there are except for the one I'm working on now. 10.000 lines in the file takes 60-90 minutes (10.000 lines is about as much as I can do an evening before I get all crosseyed and start making mistakes). The full file is around 110.000 lines so there should just be somewhat 7 evenings more of work with this one.

Just let me know if you feel time's getting close to the deadline and I'll step on the gas to make sure I finish.

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Its on the horizon. And if you finish early theres a few other things you could do here that would help to give me a head start too. There are quite a few bldgs beyond that file but the fact that there are quite a few units past the core file also buys u some more time. But suffice it to say the need for this works completion is approaching faster than i had originally thought it would.

17. B.I.B

B.I.B Chieftain

@TB
    Done up until line 58021 (50,5%), finally broke through the 50 mark :)

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

19. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

So guys, today I'll finally install Visual Studio in my new pc and I'd like a suggestion: Should I get VS 2008 or VS 2010?

I'm used to VS 2008 already, and that's all I have. I can get any of these, so for C2C purposes, is there one that's better then the other?

Then I shall start testing with the bugs that I should have done long ago.

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog