In What Electronic Entertainment Have You Been Partaking #18: Reticulating Splines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying it's bad because of those. It's just mediocre and not as refreshing as some make it out to be. And to turn their back on what made the first game so well-liked for the sake of producing something mediocre seems patently unjustified.

To your point, a lot of the 'fresh' story aspects had to do with LGBTQ representation and character development and not the basic thrust of the plot. To my point, LGBTQ representation and character development were the thrust of many player complaints. Sometimes they got dressed up as complaints about the story but when it keeps coming back to "her arms are too beefy to be female!", it's not hard to see through.

(And the death threats)

To your point, a lot of the 'fresh' story aspects had to do with LGBTQ representation and character development and not the basic thrust of the plot. To my point, LGBTQ representation and character development were the thrust of many player complaints. Sometimes they got dressed up as complaints about the story but when it keeps coming back to "her arms are too beefy to be female!", it's not hard to see through.

(And the death threats)

I do like the representation part. But I also feel the way they executed the story does a disservice to that, which also explains why I think the writer was incompetent. But my take would probably be lumped into the anti-LGBT and misogynistic camp by game journalists and the creators, so f 'em.

You get the next thread @aelf !

Cool :D

So this one is at an end?

@aelf
Also to your point, I don't remember a single reviewer at the time talking about how absolutely bloated the story was, particularly the final third. I agree that they zeroed in on the LGBTQ stuff to the exclusion of other things in their reviews.
In their defense though, they were often the targets of the misogynistic backlash so I'm sure that played no small part in their own reviews and pushback stories. It's tricky

Being on the spectrum can be like that. While I don't think I'm on the spectrum, I think about space every single day. A game is a bit silly to me but I don't think it's that outlandish. I remember thinking about Spore a lot before it released. (Though not 8 years)

A nerd with all its negative connotations. Would probably have flipped out too if they hadn't released the game at launch for his last gen console. I guess this is what they meant by gamer entitlement.

Look, y'all know me. I love video games. I spend a lot of time playing video games. But how do you devote that much headspace to a game that isn't even out yet? When I was younger, I think two of the games I most "anticipated" before they came out were Spore and Halo 2/3, and I didn't think about them even close to every day! I spend too much time playing the video games I already have to worry that much about video games that are coming out years from now (let alone eight years jfc).

Space is a broad enough topic that it makes a lot more sense to think about it every day, particularly when your job revolves around it. I think about US political issues every day. That's something I can wrap my head around. Hell, I even think about some video games I already own every day. But eight years?? For a game that was in development for eight years?

POE adds significant new content every 3 months and while it is often a bit buggy for a week or so, the developers learn from the playtesters players what is broken and fix it. Of course, all this new content is in reality testing for the big leap forward with POE2 due out, most likely in mid or late 2021.

Moderator Action: It is expected when starting the next thread that you also post the link in the old thread. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom