1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Infantry Units 1900-Present

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by AnthonyBoscia, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

Serendipity! If Civinator hadn't bumped this thread, I'd have missed it. So I'm going to revive an oldie, but goody, from Days Of Yore -

-:)z

2. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Thanks, Oz. That gif always makes me chuckle. The lady in the front left looks like Alice from The Brady Bunch.

Blue, I am rather surprised (and honored) that these units are being incorporated into your mods as I know they have previously been using a number of infantry units that I consider to be exceptional.

When making these I gave a lot of thought about additional WW2 units, but ultimately I had to give priority to those which were necessary for the worldwide mod. Some were completed late in the process like the minor Axis forces. The Finnish infantry is probably the most needed. I also looked at making some off-the-wall guys like an Indische Legion trooper, Bosnian Waffen SS, Croatian and Slovakian infantry, Mengjiang, and KNIL infantry. I tried to make a Danish trooper with his giant Death Star helmet, but he kept surrendering after a couple hours.

When I am back up and running, let me know if you have any other needs and we'll get them done. Sorry if I don't respond to posts as quickly now but I will keep checking back.

3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Tony, here are some screenshots of your WW2 infantry units in SOE:

Hungarian, Yugoslawian, Rumanian and Bulgarian Infantry in SOE:

Dutch and Belgian Infantry in SOE:

The Finnish-Russian border (using Dutch infantry for the Finns) with the shrinked dragon teeth units:

4. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Cool. Yeah, we definitely need a Finn. Maybe some new dragon teeth also.

5. Normal Person

Normal Person Chieftain

Why are there no Soviet Infantry, i mean like we do have Soviet Infantry made by Wyrmshadow but it would be nice to add them again

6. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Cause Wyrm already made them. Nothing I make would be any better. And that time could be better spent making different stuff.

Normal Person likes this.
  7. Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti The Don

If you ever come back to making units, it would be awesome. You have such great attention to detail.

8. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Thanks, man. Maybe next year. There's a couple more pre-1950 guys I still want to make. Then onto phase 2. I don't know if there's any interest in the multi-unit versions. I could always post them too when possible.

9. wolf_66

wolf_66 Lone Civer

I like the idea of multi unit versions but would also suggest to expand the range outside usual riflemen or machinegunners to include, for instance, combat engineers, medics, officers, recruits, prisoners etc

10. Civinator

wolf_66, imperator1961 did create a lot of those WW2 units, but it is somewhat difficult, to give them a proper setting in a mod or scenario. How would you set per example medics ?

11. wolf_66

wolf_66 Lone Civer

Hi Civinator

Sorry for late reply but we are living difficult times and real life tasks reduces my free time.
    Indeed some kind of units may be difficult to model in Civ3 engine.
    I have to say that I’m mostly interested in modern “tactical scale” scenarios: to be clear those like Escape from Zombie Island or SuperCiv where having a complete pool of land units matter most.

However, here below few ideas. Of course, comments, objections and remarks are welcome

Recruits:
    AI strategy: Explore (?)
    The idea is to have these units produced or auto produced then moved to certain locations only, where military schools or training centers are built, and upgrade them to get “regular” military units that cannot be directly produced.
    Different locations may even upgrade recruits into different final units depending or resources locally available

(Military) Construction engineers:
    Easy to model.
    AI Strategy: Terraform
    Should be military equivalent of workers enjoying all workers/engineers abilities plus dome defensive and (small) offensive value.
    A possible interesting idea is to limit pillage to military engineers’ units to reflect their ability to blow up constructions, roads and irrigation.
    Depending on how a single scenario or mod is set up combat engineers may also have specific movement advantages on certain terrain such as “ignore move cost on…” or even “all terrain as road”

Combat engineers:
    Easy to model.
    AI Strategy: Offense
    Should be similar to infantry, having slightly reduced attack and defense stats (indeed combat engineers are also trained to fight as infantry) but with some specific ability:
    - build road (much faster than normal works), NO build railways capability
    - build fortress, NO build barricade, limited to specialized construction engineers),
    - clear forest and jungle
    - pillage. A possible interesting idea is to limit pillage to military engineers’ units to reflect their ability to blow up constructions, roads and irrigation..
    Depending on how a single scenario or mod is set up combat engineers may also have specific movement advantages on certain terrain such as “ignore move cost on…” or even “all terrain as road”.

Snipers:
    AI Strategy: explore, artillery
    Should have limited attack and defense values but significant bombard values and a bombard range (value depends on scenario/mod scale)
    Should have
    - Radar ability (to reflect increased target acquisition capability)
    - Invisible ability (to reflect capability to hide and carefully camouflage themselves)
    - Stealth attack special action (to reflect ability to pick targets. Please not that only “reasonable target should be selected in stealth attack targets window (sniper can shoot at enemy foot units but it will make little sense to shoot at a missile cruiser…)

Officers / command group
    Three different strategies can be used:

Option 1. AI Strategy: Army
    Can be used as army unit

Option 2: AI Strategy: Flag unit
    Can be used as “high value targets” to be captured

Option3: AI Strategy: Offense/Defense and/or King (?)
    Can be used as “champion units more or less licke “champions in ESFZI scenario. King strategy can be used if you want the unit to be the last to enter in combat

Combat Medics:
    Not easy to model in Civ3
    AI Strategy: Explore (?)
    My idea would be a fast-moving foot unit with very limited defense (or none at all) and no offense stats, much larger move stats than other foot units and maybe all terrain as roads ability.
    The key point is transport only foot unit ability with transport capacity of 1.
    In this way, a human player can use medics to rescue wounded units and get them back to safe locations.
    Unfortunately, I doubt that Civ3 AI can effectively use them as described above. Nevertheless, they can be very useful in some specific mods I have in mind.

Prisoners:
    AI Strategy: Terraform (?), Defense (?) Flag unit (?)
    This unit should be produced as result of enslavement after a lost combat.
    Depending on oh scenario or mod is set up they can be used as “captured workers” only or can be given the sacrifice flag or even the flag unit AI strategy (the latter could be useful, for instance in scenarios about terrorism or crime)

12. Civinator

wolf_66, thank you very much for your answer. :) I only asked about the setting for medics, as in the two strategic WW2 scenarios I´m working on (SOE and WW2 Global Gold) all other types are still existing and there is no need in both scenarios for more unit types.

Recruits are infantry units starting with a low level of experience. I did remove the ability of pillaging from engineers and combat engineers in those scenarios, as with that option I frequently destructed the terrain improvments by mistake, that I had constructed one turn before with those units, army and supply shipments are set different (and no additional officer is needed in those scenarios) and there are no snipers in those scenarios with a divisional setting, as these single units are much too small for a strategic size of scenarios. I share the opinion, that medics are the most problematic of all the units that are listed here. The landtransport setting is not working for the AI (and if it would work for the AI, there would be units that are better suited for that role: APCs, trains) and even when using unit teleport options, there would be units that are suited better for that role. Partisans are missing in your list (here the pillage option is one interesting alternative).

On the other side for scenarios with tactical settings (battle of 'XYZ') or a smaller campaign, in my eyes these settings can be interesting. :yup:

13. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Thanks for the interesting post, Wolf. I'm not opposed to making some of those types although I am mainly focused on the figures I need for my mod. That's why I could upload the multi-units if there is interest, because I am making them already. There's a few different types I would like to make apart from regular infantry, but I still don't have a computer. One or two surprises I think you guys will like.

If there is something specific you guys want just let me know. Civinator, I'd probably make anything you would ask for honestly. I just make the stuff I need and then post it in case it's useful for anyone else.

14. Civinator

Tony, both SOE and WW2 Global Gold have a greater number of Finnish troops and therefore a Finnish WW2 infantry unit would be very welcome. During the interim time in both scenarios the Dutch soldiers will do their best at the Finnish-Soviet border ... but they are freezing, as they are not customized to those cold temperatures. :)

15. Normal Person

Normal Person Chieftain

you know you could of used the Dutch Infantry WWI for Finnish Infantry instead of using the same infantry from Dutch's WWII Infantry

i mean yes, Finland had extreme weather conditions but using different infantry is much better, and even easier when the who entire scenario is in Europe.

16. Predator145

Predator145 Chieftain

The artillery strategy flag is broken. The units will never leave their original city and will only sit there to bombard whatever comes into their range. If you want the snipers to be bombard only units a "air bombard" AI strat via the Quintillus/Steph editor works better. Remember to give that unit a bombing and rebase function and an operational range THE SAME as its bombard range. This will allow it to rebase to the front line cities ("air bombard" AI strat units will always be treated as "immobile" by the AI regardless of that ability being selected or not).

If you want to make the sniper a stealth attacker use the "offensive unit" AI strat. Unfortunately "stealth attack" does not allow you to selectively bombard. Firaxis half assed that one as well.

17. wolf_66

wolf_66 Lone Civer

Thanks everyone for replies

@Civinator, as you correctly said, many of my suggestions would make sense mostly (or only) at tactical scale, more or less city-size scenarios .
    I do enjoy large scale scenarios or epic mods too but nowadays I’m really searching the forum to see if I can grab few useful units that would allow me to complete some mod ideas. I also have to say that, at moment, I’m really focused on modern times (say after 1960-70) hence most of nice Imperator’s units are of limited help.

@AnthonyBoscia
    Sorry for invading your thread. I won’t press or ask to divert you from your goals. Any unit you may decide to release, even if not specifically useful for my purposes, would be welcome.TKeep the good work.

@Predator145
    Indeed, there are several ways to make artillery strategy useful. Too long to discuss here but browsing the forum you can find threads and posts on this topic. A good example un how to get useful bombard units is in Vuldacon’s ESFZI scenario

18. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Tony... I hope things are going well for you and you will be able to get back to making Units soon.

wolf_66... If you use Stealth Attack, I recommend Strong Attack/Defense and Hit Point Settings because Stealth Attack uses a Direct Attack and does Not use Shooting.

Normal Person likes this.
  19. Lionic

Lionic King

You should have trained them in Dutch Harbour.