Influx of New Info

Can I screw with the politically correct people and call it "Ayer's Rock"? :D

Both terms are fine, though the official name is Uluru/Ayer's Rock is its official name. In Australian it has become much more common over the last 20 years to just refer to it as Uluru.

Here's my assessment of what we still don't know or need clarification on:

confirmation that Polders produce Tulips

specific info on:
Atl-atl
Carolean
Hakapeliitta
Hussar
Dromon
Sea Beggar
Pyramid
Coffee House

Full description of Byzantine UA
Byzantine 2nd UU
Theodora concept art/leader screen

Full description of Mayan Long Count UA

mid-late tech tree

any more new resources?

can Battering Ram take a city?

Thanks for the correction.

Sorry if this is nitpicky, but the Celtic capital should be 'Edinburgh', not 'Edinborough'. Even the English don't spell it that way any more.

Here's my assessment of what we still don't know or need clarification on:

confirmation that Polders produce Tulips

specific info on:
Atl-atl
Carolean
Hakapeliitta
Hussar
Dromon
Sea Beggar
Pyramid
Coffee House

Full description of Byzantine UA
Byzantine 2nd UU
Theodora concept art/leader screen

Full description of Mayan Long Count UA

mid-late tech tree

any more new resources?

can Battering Ram take a city?

There will likely be a re-balancing of existing buildings as well. The new resources could help different buildings in the same way as deer>granaries or gold/silver>mint, for example.

It says Siege unit that performs melee attacks, rather than Melee unit with Siege bonus.

"Siege" isn't really a type, it just tells you what the unit does (attacks cities). Usually, they say "ranged" for catapults and archers.

"Siege" isn't really a type, it just tells you what the unit does (attacks cities). Usually, they say "ranged" for catapults and archers.

no, Siege is a type.

It's the difference between the Catapult line (all siege units upgrade to other siege units) vs. the archer line (non-siege units).

don't mix up language with ingame concepts ;)

We also need info on changes to the existing civilizations. The main one is Songhai with half its UA being made obsolete and whether its UB is now a temple or the replacement, amphitheater. Egypt and its burial tomb are another point of interest. Any other changes to wonders would be interesting.

no, Siege is a type.

It's the difference between the Catapult line (all siege units upgrade to other siege units) vs. the archer line (non-siege units).

don't mix up language with ingame concepts ;)

Yes, and we shouldn't mix up a melee unit (with a bonus vs cities) with a whole new type of unit just because the description says "Siege". :p

If the Battering Ram replaces the Spearman and can't take cities, that would be absurd.

Well we just don't know. The description says melee-ranged siege unit. Maybe it melees against the city, maybe it has a 1 range attack like a machine gun.

Personally, I'm betting that they can't capture cities. I think Firaxis wants to make sure that even the Huns have to bring more than one type of unit to a siege. I think it's also unrealistic. When the ram batters down a gate, it's not the ram-bearers who go rushing through the gap. They are exhausted, have to pull the ram back, and unlikely to be carrying anything that would get in the way of swinging a ram. There were other troops stationed around them who would've rushed the gap once the ram was pulled away.

Yes, and we shouldn't mix up a melee unit (with a bonus vs cities) with a whole new type of unit just because the description says "Siege". :p

If the Battering Ram replaces the Spearman and can't take cities, that would be absurd.

Well we just don't know. The description says melee-ranged siege unit. Maybe it melees against the city, maybe it has a 1 range attack like a machine gun.

Personally, I'm betting that they can't capture cities. I think Firaxis wants to make sure that even the Huns have to bring more than one type of unit to a siege. I think it's also unrealistic. When the ram batters down a gate, it's not the ram-bearers who go rushing through the gap. They are exhausted, have to pull the ram back, and unlikely to be carrying anything that would get in the way of swinging a ram. There were other troops stationed around them who would've rushed the gap once the ram was pulled away.

Actually, Arioch added that 'melee-ranged' part. The actual text reads:

"Siege unit deadly at melee attacks versus cities."

Breaking that down:

Siege unit - not to be confused with an infantry type unit (spear or sword line).

Melee attack - the style of siege attack, as opposed to the usual ranged siege units.

The "siege" part, for game purposes, just refers to what sort of promotions it can get; and that promotions/unit attributes that give a bonus towards siege units apply against the battering ram.

Top Bottom