1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Influx of New Info

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by TheMarshmallowBear, May 11, 2012.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm pretty sure the reason that siege weapons can't take cities is because they are seige units, not because they do ranged damage. The design intent for city-taking seems to be that they want you to bring more than one type of unit to a siege. If the battering ram is good against a city, they will want you to bring a warrior or swordsman along too to capture it.

2. Ulthwithian

Ulthwithian King

Eagle: Well, I believe the exact opposite. The reason that all (current) Siege units cannot take cities is because they are all ranged. This parallels the Naval issue: the reason that all (current) Naval units cannot take cities is because they are all ranged. (We know the latter changes in G&K.)

I understand the design intent, but I think that the design intent for the Huns is to use Horse Archers and Battering Rams, not Horse Archers, Warriors, and Battering Rams.

Consider that, due to the UU replacement, your argument basically boils down to 'hope for Iron near your spawn point, or rely on Warriors to take cities' until you Research Pikemen, which incidentally takes longer than vanilla.

3. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

The PAX demo video showed the tooltips for Carthaginian and Hun unique units.

I would guess that as a melee siege unit the Battering Ram can capture a city, but that's just a guess.

Reviewing the list of known new buildings and wonders -- the press release declared 13 new buildings and 9 new Wonders, and we're just about there:

1. Terracotta Army
    2. Petra
    3. Great Mosque of Djenne
    4. Neuschwanstein Castle
    5. Leaning Tower of Pisa
    6. Alhambra
    7. CN Tower
    8. Hubble Space Telescope

1. National Intelligence Agency
    2. Police Station
    3. Ceilidh Hall
    4. Mayan Pyramid
    5. Coffee House
    6. Amphitheater
    7. Shrine
    8. Constabulary
    9. Bomb Shelter
    10. Cathedral
    11. Mosque
    12. Pagoda
    Plus the Great Firewall, which is either a World Wonder or a National Wonder. So there's only one building left.

Just one (building or wonder) and one unit left. Even odds which one is the Byzantine second unique.

4. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Will it be surprising if we get :
    Ethiopian Stele ?
    Byzantine Cataphract ?

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

That's right... I forgot about Ethiopia. So unless one or both of the uniques for Byzantium and Ethiopia are improvements, both the unknown building and the uknown unit must be uniques.

That's good for folks hoping for a Cataphract... hard to imagine Ethiopia getting a second unique unit.

Alas, no Explorer...

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I'm not sure whether Firaxis counts the national wonder(s) into the 13 buildings
    So there may be 2 unknown buildings left

EDIT: This also means, that if they do count national wonders, then the Great Firewall have to be a world wonder

7. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I'm assuming Great Firewall IS a World Wonder.. I mean, it's not only using the phrase "Great" but it's kinda strong, stopping civs from stealing techs from you? I mean, really.

Besides.. each and EVERY national wonder requires a certain building in every city (Oxford = Unis, National College = Libraries, Market = National Tresaury, etc.)

8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah, I tend to think the same
    But then we still don't know whether national wonder(s) count into the 13, or not

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It's a melee unit of a bunch of infantry carrying a battering ram. They're essentially like the Mandekalu Cavalry. A Horseman upgrades to that just fine. So I wouldn't say it's really of a different type.

10. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Possibly though Stele is a UI, and I don't think that would count, kind of like the Moai?

11. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

It says Siege unit that performs melee attacks, rather than Melee unit with Siege bonus.

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Arioch, your Gods and Kings info page looks better and better every day :goodjob:

EDIT: one minor thing: the UA of Ethiopia is Spirit of Adwa, not Adawa
    "Adwa (also spelled Adowa, Aduwa, or Adua in Italian) is a market town in northern Ethiopia, and best known as the community closest to the decisive Battle of Adowa fought in 1896 with Italian troops. Notably, Ethiopian soldiers won the battle, thus being the only African nation to thwart European colonialism."

13. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Thanks for the correction.

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Also, Uluru was confirmed as a natural wonder
    IIRC Pouakai even spotted it on one of the screenshots, although I don't remember which was it

15. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Uluru was in the IGN Video, here's a pic:

16. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I see it in the video, but where is it confirmed that it's Uluru?

17. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

It's assumed by the fact that Uluru has been mentioned prior (In the accidental patch) and it is different from anything else ingame thus far. And to be perfectly honest, what else *could* it be?

18. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Can I screw with the politically correct people and call it "Ayer's Rock"? :D

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

And the 4th from the accidental patch is Sri Pada (besides Sinai, Kailash and Uluru), altough there was no actual evidence for that one in GK yet
    There is a really good chance that's included too, and I really hope for Titicaca and Everest as well. Those 2 were meant to be in vanilla CiV after all

20. SomethingCronic

SomethingCronic Chieftain

Does anyone know/taught this as Uluru outside of Austrailia? In England it's only ever been known as Ayers Rock AFAIK.