1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Intel Core Hardware Anti-piracy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GarretSidzaka, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

Enjoy that free market monopoly.

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The big deal (or at least a part of it) is that not every single stream you capture is going to be copyrighted material...

reading the article it appears as though this would prevent you from recording ALL streams.. even legitimate ones

which is not good (tm)

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Maybe you should click on the link I provided?

No, it simply allows you to play copy protected streams. Same as how you can't play Blu-Ray movies unless your monitor supports HDCP.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I think somebody who understands all of this needs to give us a primer and/or link to an article explaining what exactly all of this means.

I'm wondering though.. If a competing chip manufacturer *doesn't* go with this technology, why would anyone buy Intel?

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Because without an Intel chip, you won't be able to play 1080p Netfrix movies.

Same as HDCP; if Dill monitors have HDCP protection, and Samsong monitors don't, and you want to play Blu-Ray movies, you have to buy a Dill monitor instead of a Samsong monitor.

6. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Or you do what the internet does and download the new video format that someone invents to go around all this garbage.

7. illram

illram Deity

Exactly. That's all this is about. It's BS monopolizing of the hardware market.

If Intel really were to strike a deal whereby all or a significant majority of media outlets agreed that their streaming 1080p content required the use of an Intel chip, I'd start wondering about anti-trust violations. That's serious anti-competitive behavior.

8. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I clicked that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature included in modern Microsoft Windows operating systems that is intended to prevent an application or service from executing code from a non-executable memory region.

9. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

I highly doubt they are doing it because they think it will lose them profit.

If it does as you say, then it wont work. Apparently, they think otherwise...

Ding. Profit.

10. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Also, for what its worth, some internet connections choke up on streaming videos. Like mine does. So I have to download and watch in a media player. Or I can't watch that at all.

11. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

And with the new internet traffic rules we can all pay more for that now secure digital online viewing.

I'm not happy about any of this.

12. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

thank you all for responding and discussing this. looks like i touched on a raw nerve :p

13. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Also HDCP has been cracked for a while now.

14. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

Sounds anti-competitive to me. Though I'm slightly curious how they disable copying.

Not that it really matters the only people that have always been able to get 1080p without hassle are the pirates and this won't do anything to change it :sad:

15. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Search for "Treacherous computing". Wikipedia is a good starting point.

No common "consumer" or benefits from this crap, it's being pursed by the media industry. Some of those features, which ease centralized control, have has some limited use for corporations.

She's technically correct, you know? You mentioned by mane Microsoft's version of an operating system feature which may or may not make use of the NX bit feature in processors.

16. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

you know i have thought about this all day, and i now dont think this has anything to do with piracy. i know this because it is so obvious that pirates wont be affected one bit by this.

So i ask you now, whats the real reason for this hardware?

17. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Maybe it is an announcement to the investors who have stake in other stocks? Assuming investors are dumb.

18. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

because I can run it @ 5 GHz?
    :goodjob:
    once again aimee reveals a truth that makes us look like idiots

19. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

How to stop Piracy....

Make nonpirate services worse!

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Hardware side it's probably pretty easy since you have access to the whole motherboard and everything on it, including the controllers that control the hard drives and all other i/o devices.