• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Interesting Facts!

deo

Emperor
1 minute ago in the TV heard a interesting fact! 1 % of all bacterial arts cause disease. So i though i open a thread about some interesting things an here it goes!...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft made $16,005 in revenue in its first year of operation

In 1998, Sony accidentally sold 700000 camcorders that had the technology to see through people's clothes.

McDonald's salads contain up to 60% more fat than their burgers!

India used to be the richest country in the world until the British invasion in the early 17th Century.

In Ancient Greece, if a woman watched even one Olympic event, she was executed.

Tipping at a restaurant in Iceland is considered an insult.

The average yearly salary of a DJ you listen to on the radio is only $20,000!

The mother of the boy Michael Jackson is accused of abusing is named 'Janet Jackson'.

One in three snake bite victims is drunk. One in five is tatooed.

One cubic foot of gold weighs more than 1,200 pounds!

More steel in the United States is used to make bottle caps than to manufacture automobile bodies.

Chrysler built B-29's that bombed Japan, Mitsubishi built Zeros that tried to shoot them down. Both companies now build cars in a joint plant called Diamond Star.

The strongest human bite force ever recorded: 350 pounds. The strongest shark bite force ever recorded: 132 pounds!

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there aren't any homes in North Dakota worth more than $1 million.

One gallon of used motor oil can ruin approximately one million gallons of fresh water.

The Earth's atmosphere weighs about 5.5 quadrillion tons.

While 7 men in 100 have some form of color blindness, only 1 woman in 1,000 suffers from it.

The human brain is insensitive to pain.

A 100-pound person on Earth would weigh 38 pounds on Mars.

McDonald's is the world's largest distributor of toys!

More than 20 million meteoroids enter Earth's atmosphere every day.

If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your own interesting facts!

The most i like is that with those sony camecorders :lol:

The USDA dietary reccomendations are based on a 2000 Calorie-a-day diet

It is impossible to live more then a few weeks on a 2000 calorie-a-day diet.

Edit: ARGGHH, your "facts" are stupid and wrong. I'll have to debunk some

Perfection said:

No it's not. Many individuals consume around 1,200 to 1,500 calories while others consume 2,500-3,000. 2,000 is not impossible.

Azadre said:
No it's not. Many individuals consume around 1,200 to 1,500 calories while others consume 2,500-3,000. 2,000 is not impossible.
You're wrong! Hell, even 3000 calories is impossible to survive on.

Perfection said:
You're wrong! Hell, even 3000 calories is impossible to survive on.
oooh, you tricky tricky man. I mean Calories.

Chrysler, the company that used to make the Sherman Tank, recently merged with Daimler-Benz, the maker of the German Tiger Tank.

India became impoverished in the 11th century, when Mahmud of Ghazni made off with their gold. Further incursions by the Muslims drove the area more and more into poverity way before the British arrived.

The world's intelligent populace is being threatened by the meek and stupid populaces. Sad fact.

Perfection said:

Edit: ARGGHH, your "facts" are stupid and wrong. I'll have to debunk some
Are you nuts? Some people live on only about 1,200 or so a day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caloric_restriction

The human body can go at least a month without any food at all unless you are seriously underweight. Many people do theraputic fasts for two or three weeks with no damage to their health.

Not personally guaranteeing authenticity (my research investment stopped with one Googling):

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

There are three golf balls sitting on the moon.

Until the 1960's men with long hair were not allowed to enter Disneyland.

There are more than 1,700 references to gems and precious stones in the King James translation of the Bible.

When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food.

The word "nerd" was first coined by Dr. Seuss in "If I Ran the Zoo."

A car that shifts manually gets 2 miles more per gallon of gas [on average, I presume] than a car with an automatic transmission.

Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.

deo said:
If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.

I'll have to find out my information on it (it might be NASA's website), but this is not true. Assuming you don't inflate your lungs, you won't be drastically effected by the pressure. Incidentally, you also wouldn't be covered in ice if it were really cold because water doesn't condense easily in a vacume.

On a related note, 73% of all statistics are made up on the spot :p

Anyway, just to support my point above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_adaptation_to_space#Unprotected_effects

Contrary to imagery in the public media (such as in Total Recall), a short term exposure to space of up to 30 seconds is unlikely to cause permanent physical damage. Thanks to the containing tension of the skin, the body will not explode, though some slight swelling may occur. Nor would blood boil, as the body automatically regulates blood pressure - though exposed fluids such as saliva may indeed evaporate. While space is typically very cold, due to the lack of a medium to allow convection, loss of heat is by radiation only, and so very slow. Therefore, there is no danger of immediately freezing...The primary threat is of asphyxiation.

Perfection said:
1 Calorie = 1000 calories
Narz said:
that's weird

I think the Calorie was orginally supposed to be a Kilocalorie. However, that sounded clumsy and since Calories were used in food, the kilo was dropped. calories (Upper cased dropped to avoid confusion) are too small to matter in cooking.

Top Bottom