IOT Map Thread Mk. 3

Very nice.

Cool map.
Just one question:

is that a leak or some glitch at the Bloivian-peruvian border. I gues its a lake since theres something similar in Central America, but I just wanted to ask.

Also:
White Guy dibs on Guinea,Sierra Leone and Liberia.

I think this looks pretty cool. Will mess around further though

Trialling other colour schemes

Current lineup of styles I'm considering

I guess depending on timeline? the third looks like a ww1 color scheme and the center looks very modern. The first is too dim for my taste...

Its a near future setting so I'm definitely leaning towards option 2 at the movement.

He's the same colouring with the Classic map for comparison

Here are some HOI4 maps

Province map:
Spoiler :

States map:
Spoiler :

The States Map is very WW2 based, which is fair, but with some minor changes, especially if you grab the province map, it could be edited quite easily to be useful for what ever you want. Otherwise I think it could be a good alternative to some of the LH maps or other "big province" maps

And here is a map that has the states outlined in black and the provinces in grey, if that would be useful:
Spoiler :

I've always had an ambivalent opinion of the Victoria II and Mollweide projection maps that are commonly used in IOTs and NESes. The Vicky map's most appealing feature is that every border is 1 pixel wide which makes the map easy to colour. Its drawbacks include that the map is not consistently accurate (see: relative position of Americas to Afro-Eurasia) and its not a traditional projection, making it hard to superimpose other maps on top of it. The Vicky map is also a really large image. The Mollweide map is more accurate and more traditional, but does not have crisp borders, it is a bit too small, and personally the projection feels a little off.

Therefore I took it upon myself to make my own map. I present the Robinson projection:

1. Blank
2. 2016 borders
3. 2016 borders without colour

Key features of my Robinson projection maps:

- Every border (between countries and between land and ocean) is 1 pixel wide.
- The map was made from very accurate map data.
- Artisanally hand-crafted gluten-free coastlines and borders (partially).
- Bigger than Mollweide, smaller than Victoria II.

To make this map I asked a friend to provide me a couple Robinson projection layers (borders, rivers and a blank ocean-land background) using QGIS mapping software.

This map was like Mollweide originally, in that coastlines were not particularly crisp, so I went around fixing up areas that couldn't be made quickly into 1 pixel wide borders without mauling the real geography. It took a while, but I'm quite satisfied with the result.

I will leave this here for public use. In the near future I hope to draw historical borders and post some more maps using this Robinson map as a base. If anyone wants my 2016 borders or river layers, send me a PM.

Notes:
- I made the decision at the start to over-represent islands and other close-landmasses separated by a thin waterway. This means I pushed apart otherwise quite close landmasses to accentuate the water in-between - the only exception is Istanbul, which I may or may not modify later. The purpose of this choice was to avoid combining together discrete islands/areas that might have been separated by a border in an alternate history.
- I also made a conscious effort to eliminate unimportant islands or very tiny islands to map the mapping process quicker and give a less cluttered map.
- I didn't put much thought into the colour scheme for countries. I suggest you recolour countries liberally this if you use this map.

Really nice stuff Stockholme! Might actually make use of this soonish.

god I love the Robinson projection

thank you jesus

I made another map:

World 1900

Notes:
- Everything in Europe is georeferenced; those borders should be very accurate.
- I used 1914 Austria's borders in the Balkans because I couldn't find good data on that for 1900.
- Everything outside of Europe was to greater or lesser extents done manually - there is no good data on Libya, Bolivia, Ecuador, Cameroon, etc. from 1900 so I either used contemporary administrative boundaries that 'looked right' or superimposed historical maps and tried my best to draw a border.
- I didn't draw borders for European port cities in China.

But the Spanish-American war was resolved by 1898.

Top Bottom