IOT Map Thread Mk. 3

I got some time over the past couple months to work on a map project I've had on the back-burner for several years now, and I'm happy to announce some maps are finished.

The inspiration came from classic tile/hex maps like those in Civ - but what bothered me with those were the distortions that occurred at the poles and far west/east due to a sphere being flattened. After some research I discovered Icosahedral Goldberg polyhedrons, which have the cool property that every face is equal size but with a handful of pentagons and a bunch of hexes you can make up an almost spherical shape. With considerable help from a friend, we got icosahedral hex maps overlayed on my other Robinson maps, creating a map with a hex grid that stretches the hexes to fit a sphere, but retains each individual hex as equal in size to each other.

Here is a small library of hex maps of different sizes with earth as the background. I've also dropped just the hex grids themselves near the bottom if someone wants to use them for a non-earth setting.

Also, as a reference, here are all the other maps I've made with the Robinson projection (posted back in summer 2016):
- Blank
- 2016 Countries
- 2016 Borders (colourless)
- 1900 Countries

brb, try'na figure out how to use this. :D

Oh god, I do not envy you, but that is fantastic and beautiful

I am the mood to do a game. I fancy conducting it on a nonEarth map; essentially it will be for a fantasy setting.

However the question is... does anyone know anyone who could do a map or at least know a good fantasy map creator that could be used with potential usage for borders if need be?

Is there any one of you out there kind enough to post the North_King and uh ... I believe it was some dude who had a bear as his avatar, Jason or something, classic NES-style world map with cities on it? I used to have it but it's on a broken laptop I haven't used in years.

I cleaned up the settlement map from Total War: Three Kingdoms and put some transparency behind it. I have a very slightly wider version but this one eliminates some of the unnecessary details and focuses only on the settlements "in play."

Attachments

• sanguo_settlements_transparentbackground.png
    sanguo_settlements_transparentbackground.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 296
Spoiler HOI4 States Map :

Spoiler HOI4 Province Map :

Made a map when thinking about a scenario, thought I'd share it. Intended date is 1941:
Spoiler :

I'm intrigued! So... the Ottoman Empire doesn't collapse, Italy fails a second time to conquer Ethiopia, Germany and Russia... those could go either way?

In the scenario I was thinking of, there is a successful liberal revolution in Germany and some Napoleon-like figure takes over and messes with the European order; then pushed back and contained eventually. Afterward there is a prolonged period of peace (and no WWI) all the way to 1941.

Spoiler HOI4 States Map :

Spoiler HOI4 Province Map :

I wish to announce (with the help and guidance of Thor) did a map edition in plans for a IOT I am in the process of drafting the rules for.

Spoiler map with land provinces and sea states :
upload_2019-11-14_8-47-45.png

I will plan to post on the rules on the development thread once I have overhaul the rules for accounting of using provinces over states for my planned IOT.

I made a Europe map with 1-pixel width coastal boundaries (manually went over all coasts and lakes; removed reservoirs). The underlying data is contemporary, so artificial coastline changes are included here (e.g. Flevoland).

If someone wants to use this projection for a game ask me and I can try rivers, political boundaries, cities, other data.

Spoiler :

Also here's an accompanying terrain map with the same projection. It's way too big a file size for me to use imgur so I'll just leave that link.

Last edited:
Repost of "Europe with Arbitrary Divisions" on AH.com:

Spoiler :

Looks like a Paradox map. Or a IOT map.

Top Bottom