Is it likely the USA will ever split up

Barring some extreme and unforseen event (such as a catastrophic war that devastated national/global communications and infrastructure) and assuming that the average "fairly rational but somewhat opinionated" joe stays vocal enough from letting the nuts on both sides get into power, I think the US will survive as a single entity until humanity evolves towards a true world government.

Of course I'm sure that someone will try to secede again, sooner or later. It'll probably play out much like the last time - we go to war, they get smacked down, we kiss & make up, some subset group gets to spend the next 150 saying things like "the war of xxxx aggression" and "the xxxx will rise again".

Ok, how about the Terry Schiavo affair. Would the government have ground to a halt over that if the national conversation wasnt dominated by people like Pat Robertson?

I think this is fodder for another thread btw.

One..it is a gross overstatement to claim the government 'ground to a halt' over Terry Schiavo. Two. The entire thing was a travesty of justice in that the husband had obviously moved on with his life and should have recused himself from making decisions for her. Three. The national conversation isnt dominated by people like Pat Robertson...hell, even conservatives like me will say Pat Robertson is a loony. But to allege that our government is dominated by people like him is a utterly false statement.

You also declined to give any reason for your belief that the South has dominated politics for the last 40 years. Should I take that as proof that your opinion is just that, and with no basis of fact to support it?

Nope, the US will never split up.

I doubt the USA will split up. A more likely scenario would be a state splitting up such as California into northern & southern California.

Definitely. Probably in our life times too.

Likely, within a few hundred years.

Nothing lasts forever.
Let me introduce you to China
Definitely. Probably in our life times too.
Let me introduce you to reality. The U.S., as it is now, has a fairly balanced power between the central government and its states. Like others have said, the only immediate cause would be a successful invasion, drastic climate change or other types of urgent turmoils that would spark bitterness betweeen argueing states. Besides, Americans have grown a nationalism that will be hard to break.

Let me introduce you to China
Although China has been invaded and subjugated a number of times only to rise from the ashes. Perhaps the better question isn't if the United States of America will fall like the Chinese dynasties of times long past, but whether America as a nation (like China (no PRC, ROC, or any particular regime in China)) will fall like the Roman Empire into different peoples that will merge as their own nations. What is boils down to is the question of whether the US is a union of several different cultures with very little unity or one culture with minor regional differences.

Although China has been invaded and subjugated a number of times only to rise from the ashes. Perhaps the better question isn't if the United States of America will fall like the Chinese dynasties of times long past, but whether America as a nation (like China (no PRC, ROC, or any particular regime in China)) will fall like the Roman Empire into different peoples that will merge as their own nations. What is boils down to is the question of whether the US is a union of several different cultures with very little unity or one culture with minor regional differences.
Yes, the point was that China, despite invasions and temporary divisions, was unified 'till today. America is a house of immigrants so there will never be "cultural identity" unless you count the Hispanics. I can't imagine any state(s) that is militarily, economically and diplomatically strong enough to make such a bold move.

I think that California is going to break off, float over to Hawaii and hang out in the Pacific.

Alaska can come too.

End of the world.

I think it's more likely that a big city in the US (like NY) will break up into other cities... errrrr... wait.... I guess it already has..

Yes, the point was that China, despite invasions and temporary divisions, was unified 'till today.

That is so not true. Throughout history china has sometimes been split up into seperate kingdoms that were NOT unified in anyway.

They competed intensly and invaded eachother.

That is so not true. Throughout history china has sometimes been split up into seperate kingdoms that were NOT unified in anyway.

They competed intensly and invaded eachother.
For the third time, maybe I should clarrify the meaning of 'unified.' You don't have to be a single country to be culturally unified. That is why, after hundreds of years of divisions and foreign occupation, the Chinese traditions of an administrative burreacracy, civil service exams, and Confucian ideals continued to be the wireframe of the succeeding dynasties. Would you please stop knit-picking everything I say and use common sense.

Economic integration has progressed very far amongst the various states. Only massive economic disintegration could allow them to break apart, and even then, it is still not likely.

I can see these states becoming independant nations: Hawaii, California, and Texas. I can also see all the states Northeast of New York joining together to become one country.

I think America will be annexed by Iraq quite soon.

Nationalist and/or patriotic sentiment is now much more widely dispersed in the U.S. than it was in the early and mid-nineteenth century. The era of those who cared primarily about their region has passed (for now at least). Some may think this way; however, they seem to be a very small percent of the population.

Top Bottom