1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time for another revolution?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Synsensa, Nov 10, 2011.

?

Should the American people revolt?

1. Yes

27.6%
  2. Yes, but not as you suggested

6.6%
  3. No

35.5%
  4. No, but I have another idea

3.9%
  5. I don't actually care

6.6%
  6. Downtown

19.7%
  1. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

I don't believe we should have a revolution, because in the past, many revolutions have led to a worse situation than before. Look at Idi Amin's Uganda, or Mao's China, or even Hitler's Germany. All of those countries ended up worse off than if they hadn't had their revolutions. Besides, the average American has a better lifestyle than most people on Earth, so a revolution due to a bad lifestyle is just laughable at this point.

2. Commodore

Commodore Deity

It wouldn't be a revolution because of poor lifestyle, it would be a revolution to prevent a poor lifestyle. Think of it as a sort of "preemptive revolution" in which the people recognize that the government and other powers that be are not working in their interests and overthrow them before they completely run us into the ground.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Think of it this way. America is growing closer and closer to the most hated nation and power on this globe. Many of America's vital organizations are beginning to fall apart. The government is growing more and more... laughable, to the point that using your "rights" to "vote in someone better" would be pointless as anyone who is better would not even make it close to a nomination for presidential elections. How do you solve an issue peacefully when said issue prevents peaceful transition?

4. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

Meanwhile, being the "most hated nation and power on this globe" is strictly a matter of opinion, not fact, and proves basically nothing. If you were entirely serious about having an armed revolt, you'd have a job of it; the civilian population has basically no access to military grade weaponry, meanwhile the United States armed forces is the most advanced, well-funded military on the planet. While the terrain of various states might lend itself to guerilla warfare, that's not enough to take the capitol building.

Armed revolution is not only a very bad idea, but is arguably impossible (or at the very least, suicidal). In any case, I highly doubt anyone would be cheering if self-proclaimed revolutionaries got the bloody coup and complete national overhaul they say they want.

5. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

The army might have guns, but would our soldiers really turn those guns on other Americans? If they would, then we have a big problem with our men in the military.

6. Lord of Elves

Hurrah, hurrah, the Union forever. ;)

7. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Well the general plan of how I would do it would be to wage a guerilla war against the military and government officials to force them to use heavy-handed tactics to suppress the revolt. The idea being that as the government becomes more aggressive and brutal in its response, the people and the international community would become fed up and horrified, thus throwing their lot in with the revolutionaries.

EDIT: Oh, and military grade weaponry is most certainly available to the American public. Gun shops sell M4 carbines and AK-47 variants that can easily be modified to match what the military has. The Army's Special Forces Manual is also easily available for download on the intermet and that shows you how to make all sorts of nasty little improvised weapons out of common household goods.

8. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

Screw this, I'm moving to Somalia.

9. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

10. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I don't think you've ever been to America.

Saying something like that is akin to saying everyone in Canada is a moose.

http://worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/...sregions_bt/680.php?lb=btvoc&pnt=680&nid=&id=

Where do you get your information? Russia Today?

11. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

No, not really. The whole happy meal and TV is more of a phrase than a hard fact, but it does summarize the casual drone of America. Much of America is passive over issues that matter, and then burst their cool at things like Justin Bieber having a girlfriend or the release of a new Call of Duty (aka menial matters).

Also, you are correct that I haven't been in America, nor do I ever plan on being in it until it improves (never, if things continue this way). However, it doesn't particularly take a genius or a traveler's life in order to figure out what's wrong and the general psyche of the casual American population.

Ooo, proof saying otherwise! This is interesting indeed! Wait, what's that? Only 27 countries were really involved in this study? Well shucks, I really need to brush up on my geography, because I seem to remember there being 195 countries on this planet. The 27 "important" nations on this planet do not compare to the rest of the world (not to mention that they interviewed less than 30, 000 people. There's almost that much in my municipality).

:confused: It's pretty clear and well-drawn out in the news and by opening your eyes a little.

12. Lord of Elves

I am America and so can you, but Jersey Shore isn't the American embassy to the United Nations.

I think the only person here who has an issue with the American people is you. Listening to you, it sounds like we're living under Oliver Cromwell; but I won't try to tear you away from your Noam Chomsky editorials.

I'm pretty certain the other countries on the planet, insofar as they are actual nation-states with national identities and functioning public institutions and utilities, couldn't give a damn about the United States other than the aid shipments they receive by favor of the evil, evil American government. But next time I'm in Nairobi I'll be sure to let the starving people there know that you feel they have been disenfranchised.

Open-mindedness, standing in for gullibility since 1993.

13. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

And? Don't you think there's a reason we're casual? Maybe it's because right now, it's pretty comfortable here in America?

I'm pretty sure a good sign of a stable, comfortable, prosperous country is one in which the population isn't actively trying or plotting to over-through it. If you have a problem with stability, Somalia is always open for business.

Two things:

Who are you to say otherwise? You haven't put up any hard numbers, and as far as I'm aware, you aren't the world.

How can you trust any survey then? Most surveys don't conduct a poll of a millions upon millions of people, that's a logistical and administrative nightmare. No, most surveys are taken from a small sample group and used to gauge a general trend.

What, you mean the sensationalist nature of the news? If you opened your eyes, you'd realize America is nothing like what you describe.

14. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Meh, probably cause we finally replaced Bush Jr.

Maybe the population is in a "comfort zone" which, under the surface isn't very comfortable at all, just not as scary as considering change. People do spend ALOT of time in front of screens, disengaged from their local communities (though to be fair there are websites like meetup.com & craigslist which help mitigate the isolation).

Can we ever have a thread about America without the seemingly obligatory "If you don't like this proud nation move to Somalia! :mad:" comment? :sad:

You aren't the world either. His opinion is as valid as yours. If not more valid.

Americans get out less, are less involved in their communities, participate in fewer leagues, clubs & civic organizations than a few decades ago.

Confidence in government, the economy and the nation in general isn't exactly at an all time high if you hadn't noticed.

To say that America is fine & dhigh just a biased jerk isn't honest. Even you probably don't truly believe that. People aren't content, they are worried about the future.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147350/optimism-future-youth-reaches-time-low.aspx

15. Lord of Elves

When you advocate armed revolt at the slightest provocation, maybe you actually would enjoy living in Somalia compared to the developed world.

Which proves that the democratic system has failed the people utterly. Clearly it is time to raid the armories, and take to the streets. Our battlecry shall be "I rather dislike how things are going on at the moment, you know!"

16. Dean.

Dean. Chieftain

And from that site:

(participating nations in the poll)

I can count on one hand the number of "participating countries" that are subject to recent US military campaigns; the rest are completely absent. On top of that, of the few nations historically or recently subjected to US war or economic sanctions that are included, most of them are largely rating the US unfavorably.

Typical garbage-in, garbage-out statistics. Kinda like those government corruption and democracy indices, which oddly enough tend to favor the founding members of the UN, or whatever nation state the organization is a client to.

What is more telling is that the US is spending more time on its propaganda, and deemphasizing the focus on its military campaigns. You see, the global south is still fighting US imperialism, but the US got smart about it: no point in broadcasting your resource-wars, after all.

And what better source to purvey this positive message about the empire than the BBC, the historical source for the British-Imperial view on current events?

Garbage in, garbage out.

17. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Elves, nothing you've said is worthy of response.

DFSayers, the rest of the world loves us, ok? They loooove us! America will never die! God bless America! You know where your anti-patrotic attitude would fit in?? :mad:

Spoiler :
    Somalia, duh!

18. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Lol, that reminded me Wall-E movie. :)

19. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

America's been in need of a second revolution since the 1790s (Jefferson silly little claims to have carried one out in the form of the 1800 election notwithstanding). If there's anything novel about it, it's simply the exact character of any such project.

20. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

You say you want a revolution, well you know, we all wanna change the world.

When you want destruction, you can count ol' Manta out.