Is Ruth Kelly a hypocryt?

We all understand the pull of doing the best for your kids, in which case she should have resigned her position as cabinet member and MP, admitting how she has failed us all. And then sent her kid to private school.
Couldn't agree more. I've nothing against Private Schools, if someone wants to spend a fortune hibinanting their children from the realities of society whilst at the same time ensuring that they are likely to do less well at university all power to them.

It only becomes an issue when an elected official with a policy of closing special schools decides that her policies aren't good enough for her kids.

She should resign. I'm sure I've said that about her once or twice before.

thats just because they are proud... all private schools get better results.. if they didnt they wouldnt even exhist.

Some private schools get better results. Private schools can select who they admit, exclude when they want to. As Prince of Leigh rightly says, they do not allow children to experience a genuine cross-section of society. IMHO they foster elitism and social divisions. (Latin classes anyone?)

The drop out rate of students who have progressed from private schools to university is higher than those from the state sector. I suspect that as businesses they are results driven and encourage less scope for young people to constuct their own learning.

all private schools get better results
Completely and utterly wrong. A few years ago my state school was in the top 10 in the UK for A level results.

My game is perhaps more elitist than most. I often thought that the use of Latin in the Courts was a nod to those who studied it in Private Schools. Luckily the Courts are now directed not to use such archaic terms and we can get on with saying what we mean.
Completely and utterly wrong. A few years ago my state school was in the top 10 in the UK for A level results.
He's actually correct. Although there are one or two state schools and colleges that do well, the vast majority of the highest achieving schools are Private. I've made your point to Abaddon before and hats off to him he proved that Private schools out score State Schools significantly.

Until they reach uni and then us 'normal' people kick ass again ;)

:lol:

Maybe in some places, but certainly not in others.

fair enough, maybe my generalization was too broad. I should have spoken only in regards to private vs. public schools in big cities in america where the schools are overcrowded and so lacking in materials that some teachers will pay expenses out of pocket to stock their classrooms.

I know the public schools in San Francisco and Los Angeles are rife with problems, anybody here able to speak for other public school systems in major cities?

If her son were not disabled, I would say it's hypocritical of her to send him to a private school.

But without knowing the exact nature of his disability and the services the private school can provide better than a public school, I'll keep my mouth shut on this one.

Silly pleb, public education is for the unwashed masses..................do as I say not as I do........

My game is perhaps more elitist than most. I often thought that the use of Latin in the Courts was a nod to those who studied it in Private Schools. Luckily the Courts are now directed not to use such archaic terms and we can get on with saying what we mean.
He's actually correct. Although there are one or two state schools and colleges that do well, the vast majority of the highest achieving schools are Private. I've made your point to Abaddon before and hats off to him he proved that Private schools out score State Schools significantly.
His point was that all private schools do better than all public schools. I just proved his point wrong...

His point was that all private schools do better than all public schools. I just proved his point wrong...
Congratulations, I bet you're very proud.

Fair enough all private schools don't do better than all public schools. That said, on the whole, private schools perform better than state schools at the lower level of education.

The reason for that I don't believe is better education, but better environment for learning.

*Takes out the Pedant List and quill*

Top Bottom