1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Sean Bean Confirmed as the narrator?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by kamex, May 17, 2016.

1. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

I think that is really the issue most people have with Morgan Sheppard. I actually really enjoyed Sheppard's voice as the narrator, but Nimoy was brilliant. I would also love having Sean Bean do it for VI.

2. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Well the problem with Civ4 was Nimoy was only around for the base game. There was no consistency in the narration when the expansions hit.

3. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Oh, I remember that... :twitch:

Sid's a great designer, but much less so a narrator. :)

- - - - -

Also, I had no problems with Sheppard's narration; I liked it.

4. m15a

m15a Emperor

It's weird. I didn't even know there was an issue with the Civ V narration until I read this thread. I liked it, too.

5. EulerMcE

EulerMcE Warlord

Honestly they should just hire me to do the narration. I can make the word sounds good.

6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Making it sound good isn't the reason that famous actors have been chosen with Civ IV+.
    Earlier versions have had the members of their in house development team doing some of the narration, which sounded good.
    The famous actors are chosen on the belief that they'll sell enough additional copies of the games if they include one to make up for how ever much they paid the actor.

7. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

When I heard Sid's lines... I thought it was some sort of teenage kid doing the voice over :lol:

8. RPG

RPG King

Keith David or Peter Coyote would be great.

9. Navelgazer

Navelgazer Prince

Keith David and Michael Hogan are both great options. I'd add Allison Janney to the list as well.

10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

For me, it's not comparison to Nimoy; Sheppard's delivery vacillates between flat and contrived, IMO. Either way, I don't enjoy his delivery except for a few isolated instances--for example, I do enjoy his delivery of the Kahlil Gibran line from building the Eiffel Tower (but it takes a special kind of un-talent to ruin Kahlil Gibran). On which mildly off-topic note, I hope we see some more lines from Kahlil Gibran in Civ6 techs and wonders.

11. unpossible251

unpossible251 Warlord

Hugo Weaving. You should be familiar with him; he was Agent Smith in The Matrix, and the elf king in LOTR, and does a lot of stage work around Sydney.

Who else? Ummm, not being a smartass, how about Samuel L. Jackson? I heard him doing a documentary about lions once and he's definitely got the chops for it.

In a perfect world, Johnny Cash.

I suppose the trick is that, ideally, they will be recognisable but not in a way that disturbs the player or shatters the "fourth wall".

If they can afford Sean Bean, i'm happy. Especially if, on researching Calander, we get "winter is coming" hehe... No, too far, tbh.

12. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Master of the Pan Flute

Don't know how it would turn out but I could see Alan Alda being interested in the gig.

Jodie Foster ?

James Earl Jones

13. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Hmm... I'm really liking Ian McKellen: example

EDIT: John Hurt sounds great too. (next post)

14. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

John Hurt narrates too!

15. Nick31

Nick31 Prince

Hugo Weaving would be pretty awesome. As would any of the old Shakespeare Contingent (Stewart, McKellen, Dench, et al.).

I also think it'd be fun with a super gruff narrator, but I don't think that'd fly with Firaxis. Like one of the Peaky Blinders on Netflix :)

16. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

Another good idea that might make me overlook the bad graphics. Big Kate fan. Or how about Seven of Nine, Jeri Ryan?

17. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Gilbert Gottfried! :mischief:

Just kidding, it doesn’t matter to me because I play with my speakers turned off while watching TV/movies. Poor modders like TPangolin go through painstaking effort to select the best Peace & War themes for their civs and I never wind up hearing it. :(

18. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I will do it. Every tech will either have a double meaning or some inane junk, the latter mostly non sequitur.

Every tech.

19. daft

daft The fargone

Sean Bean?
    Not bad.

Mr. Bean?
    Now, that would be amazing!

20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Well, if he isn't the narrator then he definitely deserves to be a great person in the game. :D