1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ISDG 2012 - Server Announcements, Connection Issues and Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 -ISDG 2012' started by Caledorn, Jul 7, 2012.

1. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Oxy has stated he will take over:

Caledorn, do you have the Maya password to give him?

2. Veter

Veter Chieftain

i think UCiv need paused game for CFC.

3. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

My main computer is somewhat broke (random HDD failures when he decides) but I got to play.

4. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I am taking the game down for approximately 30 minutes now.

5. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

-redundant- so removed.

6. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Okay - the game is back up, as I found a way to change the pass by turning to AI without the AI being able to end turn. Oxyphenbutazone is now in control of Maya.

The game is paused, and I will let Oxyphenbutazone unpause the game and play the turn. I reloaded the game to the Hulkmusclor autosave-on-login last turn, so he gets to play the turn that HulkMusclor played previously.

I realise this is a harsh admin ruling, and I don't expect HulkMusclor nor CivFR is happy with it. It was a decision that I am 100% certain is needed for the game to progress in a better manner, as CivFR has been given several warnings about missed turns. CivFR: If you have a problem with my decision then please keep it out of this thread. If you feel the need to rage at me, then do so in a private message - my ruling and decision stands however, no matter how much you rage at me. Given the number of warnings and the chances you got to rectify the missed turns etc, there is no way I am allowing you to retake control of the Maya, and Oxyphenbutazone will play the rest of the game on behalf of the Maya.

Nonetheless; Thank you for your participation in the game, CivFR!

7. Hulkmusclor

Hulkmusclor Chieftain

Delicious to see that the admin is a part of a team.

It's the bigger scandale that I have seen in the Pitboss's game history.

8. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I am not part of any team. Like I have explained you were issued several warnings about missed turns, and you spent 5-10 minutes max per turn. In a war situation that speaks volumes about your commitment to the game at this point, and it's grossly unfair to the teams that are still heavily committed to the game that you play critical war turns in such a manner.

Like I also said, I expect you are very unhappy with my ruling, but this is far from a scandal given the number of warnings I gave you and the fact that I even had to go to your (French) private forum to attract your team's attention since none of your responded here in this thread which is an absolute minimum expectation that the participants keep up to date on.

Now, this is my final word on the matter in the public thread, and if you have any more to say on the matter please take it into private messages with me, or don't post at all.

9. Hulkmusclor

Hulkmusclor Chieftain

Ah ? You are not PROUD to be a member of CFC ?

And so what ? I missed maxi 4 turns. I have an IRL and I'm alone. I know that in a teamer, pauses are abusives so here we go.

However, I see two points :

- More civs paused the game.

- All civs except maybe Uciv don't push enter.

The slowing down isn't an argument.

Sorry, I'm a not a noob, I know what I have to do in 10 mn. Sorry if it isn't your case.

Funny argument, thanks. I laughed.

It's imparable. "How to compromite himself his decision" in one lesson.

Sir, yes, sir.

See you, marionette. :)

10. Arabplayer

Arabplayer Chieftain

Hi,

As a member of the uciv forum (Mehmed) and after having seen what battle just took place in game this is simply unacceptable without consulting any team of the ISDG or without understanding all the reasons why they managed the way they managed their timer. As a member of uciv, Hulkmusclor never stopped any pitboss he played in the past and civfr certainly doesn't deserve to be eliminated this way. I hope Caldedorn you understood that this decision is destroying this pitboss and as an admin your only right is to punish a cheating team not taking unilateral decisions like this. This thread is also here for us to say what we think publicly even if this is against your opinion. I don't know if my team will also continue to play if this unbearable decision doesn't change also a lot of people made a lot of efforts into it and this kinda choice simply kills any will to continue this game seriously and with simply fun + it impacted too much the game and you exactly know what i mean...

11. mzprox

mzprox Prince

Maya player gave me an impression that they don't care about the game (and not just during the war, but by their certain dealings and actions (or lack of) with other players which actually made us to attack them).
    It is against sportmanship not to reload a game when someone misses it during war, and it happened more than once and when I complained all i got to mind my own buisness, this is not the way to act in a team game. Yet in my last post I said that I'm fine with continue as we were, though i don't understand why maya did not ask for sub if they had no intention to play seriously.

12. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

You are all free to voice your opinions as long as you keep the discussion civil. My decision stands, though.

Part of being an admin also means making sure the game does not die because of one weak link, even if some of you may disagree with that.

Hulkmusclor: I used to be part of Team CFC back even before RB was eliminated. I left that behind when I took on the role as admin. My former participation in that team has nothing to do with this decision, and I have thoroughly explained why I made this decision. If you choose to believe otherwise, then that is your prerogative, and there is absolutely nothing I can do to change that anyways, so I don't see any reason to attempt to convince you otherwise if you've decided that is the case.

13. Arabplayer

Arabplayer Chieftain

nothing proves that they didn't take the game seriously i am sorry...

missing 3 or 4 turns during an entire game (what they told) and playing 10 minutes per turn (wich is "seen" as a lack of serious) is far from behing a real reason to kick an entire team who is in a middle of a war and where they just won a big battle...

14. zioun

zioun Chieftain

Hello guys,

I'm sorry : i don't read this forum very often, but i was alerted on what its going on...

I don't speak here for UCIV but personnaly (as arabplayer does).

It is true that turns are often too long, and that the game is losing some interest cause of this....It is also true that sometimes Civfr is the civ which don't end turns but they are not alone. Except us (but we have no war and that change a lot for sure), i think all civs could make an effort. That said, i know Hulkmusclor and i don't suspect him to have a will to ruin the game or to slow it on purpose. Maybe you can imply some others players in your team Hulk ?

Anyway, on the decision made by Caledorn, i'm able to understand the will of our admin but i really think it happens too soon and that the decision is too hard !

A reasonnable way is to give all of us some time : lets maintain Civfr as they are today for some times (for 2 weeks for example) just to see if we are all able to make an effort to end turns quickly.

If this experience failed, then we could think about other measures but i say that it is really too soon to take so harsch measures now...Please lets all think about the interest of the game and the investment of all !

PS : the 10 minutes are really not an argument...it happens very often for me to play in less than that and that don't mean i don't care of the game...

15. mzprox

mzprox Prince

Your perspective is wrong, i'm sorry. the problem is not missing 3-4 turns and playing only 10 mins/turn..
    the problem is:
    -neglecting the game. I had visibility, i saw what was going on (some slave/draft here and there, but for example for long many units stayed way behind the front line istead to stop our invasion. sometimes the play time was 1-2 mins altogether.), BUT this is the lesser problem.. quite unfortunate and bad for the game, but I wouldn't had complained just for this. And tbh this neglect is not unique to the mayan team.. not wana name others. (and i stress i talk about during war-time now)
    -The real problem is staying away from the game during war and not even giving a notice or later an apology or something.. I don't want to wage war against someone who misses turns..what's the point. But then always waiting/reloading is also bad.

16. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

My first warning to CivFR was issued in December in their private forums - we are now in March. So they have been given 3 months to rectify these problems. If my decision is too harsh based on that, I am open to change my decision - but keep in mind that we are in the position where we now have a sub who is willing to take over the gameplay for the team now. In two weeks we may have lost that option, and we may have problems finding another willing sub. Then we will be left with a game that will definitely die because the problems is not resolved, as retiring Maya to AI will severely unbalance the game. And this is my main reason for taking this rather stern action as the game admin: I consider it highly unfair for all the other teams that are heavily invested in this game to let the game die because one team does not enjoy the game enough to even bother playing their turns in a timely fashion.

As for the 10 minute thing; It is highly uncommon for an experienced player in a war situation to spend 5-10 minutes to play his turns. Of course, this is not a universal truth, so this part of the problem is a rather minor one. It has very little weight on why I made my decision compared to the warnings that have been issued about lost turns, where the first warning was issued 3 months ago as stated above.

If the teams unanimously states that they wish control of CivFR to be reinstated to CivFR, then I will of course respect that and reinstate control to CivFR - but before the teams voice their final word in the matter, please take what I have written above - especially the part about a sub being available right now, a situation that may change - into consideration first. Also take into consideration how many times in this thread other teams have asked for a sub to be found for CivFR because of their slowness to play their turns. And finally, I would like the teams to consider asking Team CivFR to promise that they will play their turns in a timely fashion if they get control of their civ back.

17. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Here is a collection of all the posts in this very thread about the problems we've had with missed turns etc by CivFR (These date back to 20. Dec 2013):

Note that as a result of one of the reloads one team lost two spies, which they otherwise wouldn't have lost because they didn't lose them before I had to reload the game. I don't know how much impact that had on said team's gameplay or strategy, but I am not happy about having had to reload the game this much because of lost turns - especially not when it impacts the other teams.

I have left out the tirade of insulting remarks that was thrown back and forth between two teams because of this, as I consider it a minor thing - but I have to add that insulting remarks like the ones that were given (you can go back a page or two if you want to see them - they're there) doesn't exactly speak in favour of changing my ruling.

18. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I should really not bother responding to this, but just so it's crystal clear: Yes, I was proud to be a member of Team CFC. But I am no longer a member of Team CFC. I am the Game Admin. Even Team RB, who was the arch-rival of Team CFC, had faith in my ability to separate my interests from my job.

If you believe I am biased towards supporting Team CFC, then you are wrong - but as I wrote earlier, it is your prerogative to believe that I am biased if you want to, and there is nothing more I can say about the subject.

I don't think you realise that a lot of the pauses we've been dealing with were made because you did not play your turns. I don't know an exact number of how many pauses were made on your behalf to make sure that your team played their turn, but I know it happened several times. Of course you can say that they shouldn't have paused the game on your behalf, because you don't think missing a turn is important - but then we're back at questioning your view on how important turnplaying is during wartime, as opposed to the view the other teams who are still heavily invested in the game.

19. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Well, well, well...

And what we do now?

As personal opinion, I am in favor of CivFR playing their nation.

20. Oxyphenbutazone

Oxyphenbutazone Chieftain

I'm going to decline to play until a clearer decision has been come to. I agreed to do this because I have some free time and I know Cal is a solid guy, but I have no dog in this fight, nor any desire to get involved in this drama.

I will say that it's kind of ridiculous to be playing 5-minute turns and barely whipping and drafting while one is involved in a huge war in the late industrial era. I don't think the potential benefits that an incompetent Mayan defense would yield for some teams should be factored into the decision of ousting the current Maya player from the game.