1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

June/July Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 2K Greg, Jun 17, 2011.

1. eric_

eric_ Emperor

I think if it's a per turn bonus, it will only apply to the city that builds it. I can't possibly imagine that being an empire-wide bonus.

2. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Nothing will ever please everyone. Get it?

Whatever *THEY* decide to implement (good or bad) within CiV defines the gameplay - to me and plenty more people willing to tackle any new challenges in a solid strategy game.

End_Of_Story.

Not even worthy of critics. Opinions *DO* matter, though.

3. Brichals

Brichals King

Don't know if it's been said yet but natural wonders have been indirectly buffed as a result of the cheaper costs (maintenance, policy costs, hammer cost etc) and nerfs to everything else. And I think they needed buffing too.

Aswell as that, everything that wasn't nerfed in this patch (UAs UBs etc) is now buffed indirectly. Just a rebalancing. I will have to get stricter with the avoid growth button I think but I'm really looking forward to the new patch.

4. Agent Cooper

Agent Cooper Lynch's Creation

No need to get upset or downright condensending.

5. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

I want to see CivWorld become that cash cow before I start worrying about whether it's the future of the franchise, because frankly I haven't heard much good about it from either casual players or hardcore fans. The consensus seems to be "Well, Zynga still does it better" from almost everyone.

6. eric_

eric_ Emperor

IMO the presumption that casual ciV players will be turned off by wholesale change is off. It assumes that casual players ever try let alone manage to internalize the game mechanics, the various details of each policy, building, unit, unique ability/unit/building, etc. Almost by definition, a casual player, even of intermediate skill level, will never attain this level of familiarity, so even massive changes will not turn them away from future engagement. I think it's true that casual players aren't willing or able (e.g., due to time constraints, as in my case) to become deeply familiar with the game, but that was true from the get go, so there's no whole-sale 'relearning' necessary.

I say all this from the perspective of a casual player. I *LOVE* ciV, but I don't ever have time to finish more than ~1.5 games between patches (invariably, I'm in the middle of a great game when a patch hits ;)), including maybe ~5 abandoned efforts. From where I sit, new patches do somewhat change the feel of the game, forcing me to focus slightly more on this or that mechanic (income, happiness, etc), and overall make it feel a little more fresh all over again. But, I don't ever develop go-to strategies or intimate knowledge of policies, so I'm never faced with the daunting task of retraining myself.

The upcoming patch will be interesting in that the changes seem to make a shift towards the synergy between various aspects of the game, rather than a reworking of any one mechanic. I think it will turn out to be fairly subtle in middle level play (Prince, King) and I find it intriguing and enticing, not daunting.

7. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Brian Reynolds wins again. ;)

8. JT415

JT415 Chieftain

Sorry if this has been discussed but 25 pages are a lot to read thru. I had a question about something from the new patch.

- Galley now upgrades to Trireme.

Are they adding galley's to Civ5?

9. eric_

eric_ Emperor

I think that's just for Ottomans when they capture a barb Galley.

10. JT415

JT415 Chieftain

Thats too bad. I was hoping they were going to add them. I prefer them for moving a group of units over an ocean.

11. pjdodd

pjdodd Chieftain

I wish the never-ending nerfing would stop and all the energy was put towards Civ6...let this dreadful beast of a game die! Until Civ6...still with CivIV.

12. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

Please fix the AI war declarations - they are very peaceful with each other and in an instant, even if its strategicly bad, they will war you.

Napoleon and Bismark were in a war, and Napoleon moved his units into Bismarks territory to the east, I was to the west of Napoleon. Bismark used longswords to wipe out napoleons attacks leaving him 3 units at home, bismark with some 18 units, me with about 12 units. Then Napoleon and Bismark make peace, Napoleon declares war against me despite having no units to fight - im not encroaching his borders with units, he is dependant on me for luxuries and strategics (in fact, the only reason he had swordsman and horseman is because i traded him iron and horses).

In another game, I was Iroquois, i build: Scout, Worker, Monument, Warrior, Warrior. On turn 35 or so i meet Ramses. It is about turn 40, and i finish my second warrior. I meet Ghandi. I click "End Turn". They both denounce me and Ghandi tells me i have a pathetic army. 2 turns later, i meet Alex. I click end turn and Alex tells me i am a city state. I click end turn and a third warrior is done - and all 3 declare war against me.

I play on emperor level but the last week or so ive been playing on prince to try to learn new strategies that don't rely on slingshots or perfect percision.

13. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Neither of these qualify what i was commenting about.
    Perceive what you wish - the fact remains simple; anti-CiV players will never be satisfied by anything.
    Perpetual patching included.

14. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

personally, im not anti-civ, im anti-making civ suck.

i prefer to not have perpetual patching for many reasons but that doesn't mean i hate civ - i just want them to do better because i know they can, and i want them to increase the quality of their product. then again, this is what tends to happen when you pay 50 bucks for something and it turns out to be a rip off. you want to be "made whole", meaning a better product. and just because you don't feel this product was implemented well doesn't make you anti-civ.

"anti-civ" is a propaganda line you say to make it sound like unsatisfied, vocal customers are just crybabies who don't deserve to speak when they are unhappy with the practices of the company who released the product you enjoy.

15. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

My complaint has always been about the curve, ie, that it's hard early and snowballs late. (It can snowball "bad", but if you're winning it snowballs "good".)

The real way to fix this is to put more diminishing returns mechanics in, ala Europa Universalis.

I voted "good" on this patch, overall - but that doesn't mean I think it won't snowball, I think it will. (That's what I'm grumping about.) The problem is the only way to "fix" it now is to modify the handicaps XML file in the middle of the game, which I often can't do well after a pint of scotch. :)

16. Megalomano

Megalomano Chieftain

I think they forgot to balance the Commerce tree to match the new Piety and Rationalism, they should also deal with the damn A.I happiness bonus.

17. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Taking a shot at the happiness changes...

Of course, I'm still waiting to see how the per building happiness works in the new system. Whether it goes into the 'global' bucket or if it's the same as happiness buildings (and therefore pop in a specific city based) So things may change as we get more information.

18. turboraton

turboraton Chieftain

I play weekly with my friends at Lan and I can say I'm very happy with those changes. Early aztecs is gonna be AMAZING! I think we will have to tone it down to Emperor because of the new happiness system. I am also loving the Colossus / Great Lighthouse buff. You have done a really good job on the wonders. Keep up the good work!

19. Airey

Airey Prince

These changes will be interesting. "Forcing" players to choose between SPs vs balancing happiness with other methods is good.
    That early GS, Steel bulb, and Capital + puppets was just too easy. With the massive +GPT Ai gives for Peace treaty. This opening is suitable for every winning condition.

Managing mass puppets would be harder. But it'll make it plausible to annex cities.

It's kind of early to know how everything will work together.

I don't really mind them "sledgehammering" the game when they realize it's not working, and go towards a totally different direction.

20. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Oh, they definitely will be interesting, and the 'easy route' has been taken away. Which is definitely better.

In a different post I mentioned that I'm good with the meritocracy changes. Quick LS rush was getting boring.