June/July Patch Notes

major changes.. .it'll take some time to process.

I am now thinking they've been listening to some of the wrong people though. I've seen a lot of the ideas in this patch come out on the forums (2K forums for some of them) and that worries me a little; especially the Honour/culture start.

either that, or they were testing the reception, by posting it. Not a good idea to begin with.

I don't understand. Why is linking culture to the honor tree a bad idea?

wow. looks like it's going to be a completely new game. gogo beta process.

if GL is still giving the free tech i guess the new standard opener will be beeline writing, build GL for philosophy, build NC.

seems like it's fairly obvious, eh?

though, since the AI loves the GL, it'll require a solid chop strategy to get it.

I don't understand. Why is linking culture to the honor tree a bad idea?

The idea came up over at 2K as a 'I want to only take honour and therefore it needs to be fully self contained'.

That is, you could delete the other two SP branches from the game as they would just be interchangeable and not add choices.

So yeah.. it's better if you actually had to make a smart decision than just click the 'next' SP and not expect to have to deal with the choice you just made.

That, and the idea just copied the Aztec bonus, which makes them less 'interesting'.

There are good changes here, but that's one I already saw coming, and didn't like it ;)

The Social policy changes + wonder changes + AI changes + special unit improvements are very good!!!

However I really hoped you guys tested the global nerf to happiness and have good reasoning for doing so.
Happiness gain has been seriously reduced on all fronts, (buildings/luxuries/social policies), I urge you to reconsider some of the changes and revert them because this hamstringing the game immensely.

Limited vertical growth, limited horizontal growth, limited conquering other empires.

There are good changes here, but that's one I already saw coming, and didn't like it

But military parades have always been so PRETTY in history! They DESERVE to add culture ... and then NOT when the troops leave town and go off to war. ;)

Happiness gain has been seriously reduced on all fronts

I seriously doubt that anyone has an accurate gauge of how happiness has been affected, up or down. Sure, we'll have to adjust, but it will just change how we'll play ... and relearning the whole process -- which is EXCITING! :D

The idea came up over at 2K as a 'I want to only take honour and therefore it needs to be fully self contained'.

They way I've seen it posited is more about making it actually useful and usable compared to the strength of the Liberty and Tradition openings, but not to make a self-contained tree.

What I like so much about this patch is that now many SP and some wonders provide now a permanent bonus instead of only a one time boost. I'd like also that Autocracy completion bonus may include a permanent effect.

What I don't like so much is the nerf to happiness and defensive buildings.

@MadDjinn: Well, tradition and liberty give culture per se, while the new honor demands time from the player to go and hunt down those pesky barbarians, so I think there's still a choice.
I agree with your points though that it makes Aztecs feel less unique, which is a shame (although you might as well open honor and get the SPs rolling through barb hunt: 12 culture per brute warrior!:cool:), and that it may make Askia slightly OP (guess that's why MPM and Mandekalu cavalry got nerfed too).

Like, though dont like the happiness Nerf.
Guess we can live with it, though.

Resource trading for happiness and good diplo might be what is required now. Maybe it forces some alliances instead of everybody hating you when you are the strongest Civ. Also the abundance of stone may factor in.

Love to see the removal of some questionable strats, makes things more challenging for high level players I guess now the temptation is removed.

So I guess they want us to trade for luxuries instead of selling them to the AI. That's what the happiness changes are telling me.

This looks great!

Wow. Just wow. Thank god RAs have been a lot nerfed.
(Cough Cough...plz...i need happiness....or i'm gonna die...)

I am also glad RAs were nerfed. I've been playing on Immortal and win a high percentage of my games. I can usually keep up with the AIs on tech without RAs. If I used RAs as they are currently, I could blow past them. I've been using my extra gold for CSs instead and using the Scholasticism policy when I want to steam roll the AIs. I may use RAs more stragegically now.

So I guess they want us to trade for luxuries instead of selling them to the AI. That's what the happiness changes are telling me.

All well and good, but this is heavily reliant on the AI actually prioritising connecting their extra luxury resources. At the moment, that really isn't the case, and I can't see anything about it in the patch notes.
The amount the AI is willing to give you for luxuries still needs to be toned down though.

Top Bottom