1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Justice Antonin Scalia, Known For Biting Dissents, Dies At 79

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Feb 13, 2016.

1. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

They're gentlemen, not unlike the one in France who'd guillotine you even if the weather's crap.

2. Aea

Aea Prince

3. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

There's a joke in there about Star Wars and 'the negotiations were short' but lol

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

That doesn't mean no nominations. It only means no confirmations. McConnell is too anti-American to do his job.

5. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Of course... The President had until yesterday to make a recess appointment, so it makes perfect sense that they hold off on this announcement until after they are back from recess... now Prez Obama can't do anything about it. If they had made this announcement last week, he could have just shrugged and made a recess appointment.

Its funny that they are hiding behind "letting the American people have their say" because the American people did have their say... in 2012 the American people said we want Prez Obama to fill SCOTUS openings from now until January 2017.

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

George Washington got his election year vacancies quickly filled, but I'm sure that Senate had no clue about original intent.

7. Aea

Aea Prince

Obama would not have made a recess appointment even if they announced beforehand.

8. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Reports are floating around that Obama is vetting Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval, for the spot...

9. Antilogic

Antilogic --

That is such a brilliantly stupid, too-cute-for-its-own-good move it hurts.

10. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Why is it stupid?

11. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

I mean, I think it's a politically savvy move. If Obama nominates the most popular Republican Governor in the country (who is also very centrist) and the Republicans shoot it down. It should be chalked up as a win.

12. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Frankly, the Repubs already saying up-front that they'll refuse any candidate without question should already be a win for the President, but... meh.

13. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Oh it is, but nominating a Republican for the post and having Republicans shoot him down would be quite the icing on the cake. ;)

14. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

It might be politically smart, in that it would put the Republicans in a tight spot (though I wonder how Democrats would feel about it), but it's putting a Republican on the Supreme Court, which defeats the whole point of a Democrat pick. It's like giving the Republicans a lot of what they want just so they can't complain about it.

15. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Sandoval is essentially a democrat on social issues and I think Obama would prefer to have a moderate on the court than someone mirroring Scalia.

16. Aea

Aea Prince

Republicans want a replacement as far right as Scalia though.

17. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Which is why I think nominating a moderate would be as great a victory as any. I don't think it is safe to wait until November, who knows who will get elected and who that person will appoint.

18. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Mostly what Camikaze said. It's squandering a once in decades opportunity to drastically reshape the Court, and he's floating a Republican. Even if the guy doesn't hate gay people and is otherwise "moderate" on social issues, he's still going to be far to the right on environmental, labor, and other issues that will arise.

Tactically, selecting a popular governor whose name is often mentioned as a Senate candidate or a possible VP for 2016 sounds like a savvy move, but it's all short term politics with no long-term gain. That's mostly why I'm calling it brilliantly stupid. If this was a chess book, it wouldn't be listed as a good or brilliant move, nor as a blunder, but as a mixed, unexpected, WTF moment like "?!"

19. Aea

Aea Prince

Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

20. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

He has no chance of nominating anyone else, in my opinion. Sandoval is not "far-right" on really anything. He is pro-choice, he supports gay-marriage, he has been a huge supporter of renewable energies in Nevada, and he raised taxes. I am not saying he is the best choice (by any metric) but as I mentioned Obama has zero chance of nominating a real liberal. It's just not going to happen. I will take the moderate in place of Scalia any day.