1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #19: Qin Shi Huang

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Neal

Neal King of the World

I'm working on a closing round, but it's a slog. So many units, so many cities, so many Workers! Argh!

2. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

But ah, the gentle pitter-pat of soldiers' feet, the soothing warmth of burning empires, the lullaby of world leaders' pleas for clemency. :D

Any news coming through on how Monty's doing, or would that be a forbidden sneak preview? With America and Inca gone it would be so cool if he got some navy going and made a game of it.

3. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

There is no thing as too many workers :p IMHO you are suffering of a combination of too little conquest with too much Real Life :D

Hopefully you got to battle the 1523534634 Aztec units for your final show :D

4. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

1523534634 Aztec units vs. 10-25 nukes. Who will win?

5. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

The lone aztec corp. executive in the city.

6. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

It's usually possible to blame any evil deed on Aztechnology.

7. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Hey, hey, don't laugh at the tech rate of the Aztecs.
    Spoiler :

As you can see, they are clearly interested in teching. They just get 'unlucky' all the times but this one.

8. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

is that a different version of Rhyes and Fall, or is it the default one that comes with Civ? I have never seen some of those civ names (yes I know about the dynamic civ names option). Also, really surprising that they got the GLib.

9. GGracchus

I believe that's a mod. I think it's one that has the pantheon civic, which means certain wonders can only be built if you're in that civic, and that civic means no state religion. Since the Aztec's don't have religion, that may be why.

10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Spoiler :
    The Aztecs had build a Great Library in Neal's game, too.

11. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

Really is that this one? I must have either missed it or have not been paying attention.

12. Neal

Neal King of the World

And we kept on fighting till the end.

An epic finale to an epic game. By 1706, all of Asia and the Pacific flew the Chinese banner, which also ruled half of Africa and had even made inroads into fractured Europe. The people were prosperous, living in the lap of technological luxury, but in constant fear of the forced labor camps, especially on the frontier. Propaganda insisted that it was necessary "for a better life," but everyone knew someone whose number had been drawn and who had never been seen again. But this was a world without Emancipation. The barbarous Outlanders also practiced Slavery. Reports from the Dark Continents of the Americas even said that the Aztecs had made bloody public spectacles of their sacrifices.

None of this was of any import in Qin Shi Huang's thoughts. To him, the Infantry doing drills in Indian Barracks, the Cannons shattering the frozen sky in Scandinavia, those few archaic Knights still bearing their heraldry in Africa were but pieces on a chessboard. And the Draft, the Forges, even the forced labor camps were but ways to get more pieces. Civil rights, posterity, "We Love the Monarch" days? Those would come to his successor. To Emperor Qin, the only goals were Conquest and Domination. The world would be made Chinese. Only then could the world be made better.

The finale began promisingly enough. An Egyptian outpost, thought to be one of the last two or three, ended up being Hatshepsut's final stronghold:

The Egyptians had been warriors and scholars, and they had fought well. Now, with Chinese engineers moving in, their core cities would become true powerhouses. The strength of the immortal Nile was harnessed through Levees as Libraries and Universities refined the raw creative power of the Towns that dotted its banks.

Catherine, another thorn in China's side, fell a scant few years later:

The Russian people were treated less gently by their new Chinese masters. Theirs was a hardscrabble country, renowned more for its vast size than plentiful resources. The populace was cut down like wheat, broken in the labor camps and sent to the front lines as faceless conscripts.

These front lines came to include what was ominously known as "The American front." It was decided that, if the world was to be made Chinese, there could be no cackling madman on the periphery claiming autonomy and waging eternal war. The time was not yet right for a full frontal assault on Montezuma, though. China would be constrained by supply lines and, while the Aztecs were primitive, they had at least fashioned rudimentary Gunpowder weapons and would surely be a threat from their sheer numbers. No, a beachhead would be needed. The rocky Pacific Northwest seemed the perfect place to start:

Seattle, renamed from some jibberish in the incomprehensible Aztec tongue, was lightly defended with only four or so units. And, disappointingly enough, once it had fallen, the American Warlord never made a real attempt to retake it. That likely had to do with the fact that the front had been pushed south, but I get ahead of myself. The astute reader will also notice that a few more European leaders had fallen into the mists of history, and that research had begun on the ultimate mobility upgrade, Flight. It had required sacrifice (the loss of Stonehenge to Astronomy was particularly painful), but it would be worth it, and it would make intercontinental war truly feasible.

Isabella was the last mainland European regent. Transports were being hastily constructed in Poland as Qin turned his eyes to Wonder-hungry England, but first, Spain would need to be erased from the map:

The Chinese emperor noted the contents of the city with a dismissive snort. Cities were cities at this point. And Isabella was another dead queen, unmourned and unremembered.

The Pyramids should have made more of an impression, though, since China's next research target was Democracy:

This could have been put off, since the real prize, Universal Suffrage, had been unlocked in the taking of Madrid. Regardless, the Lord Qin relinquished his hereditary title (but maintained control of the military) and was quickly voted back into power as President. This newfound democratization of the economy opened up a whole new way to rush projects to completion. Gold flowed as Airports sprang up across Eurasia and, just as importantly, in Seattle. The beachhead there became the focal point of China's efforts as Airships scanned the Rockies looking for incoming stacks, Transports ferried materiel to Seattle and then down to Mexico, and Workers eventually even began converting the Pacific Roadway into the Pacific Railway.

In the Old World, meanwhile, the war with England had finally begun in earnest. It was nervous work at first, as troop-laden transports were forced to play cat and mouse with Elizabeth's massive fleets of obsolete Caravels. But once our boys made landfall, England crumpled quickly:

And quite a prize it was. Ireland still needed to be conquered, and Greenland, but those were easy tasks, and Eurasia was ours. Now all that remained were the scraps in Africa and the daunting New World.

A lucky draw on a Great Merchant in Seoul allowed us to begin a final Golden Age:

By this point, the empire was sufficient that Golden Ages were no longer necessary to plug up a leaky economy or shore up insufficient production. This final Golden Age was mere icing on the cake, stepping us into overdrive for our final push.

Not only did Flight open up all-important Airports, but it also gave us my favorite unit in the game, Paratroopers. These SMG-toting little nasties were crucial for my plans to finally eliminate Saladin of Madagascar:

Around the same time, the Mali were finally hunted to the ends of their desert kingdom:

Before that happened, though, our American push, which had taken us to the gates of Tenochtitlan, finally ran into the overwhelming resistance that Montezuma is known for:

The oncoming battle was pivotal. My troops battened down the hatches, inflicting what casualties they could on offense before taking on as many Drill promotions as they qualified for. A LOT of collateral damage was going to be coming in, very soon. My offensive was wiped out, but they sold their lives dearly. The Aztecs lost far more blood that day than the Chinese. Montezuma was crippled. The remnants of his stack pushed to Alamos, on the Baja California, where it was finally dismantled. The American cities had their garrisons, but the threat of counterattack was over. The game was, finally, won.

To commemorate this historic victory, the Statue of Liberty was erected in Wuhan:

So I guess researching Democracy had its perks, after all. A little late to do any real good, but hey. Points are points.

The rout of Montezuma's forces was on, starting with his capital, renamed more out of spite than anything else:

Yeah. Lone Wolf was right about Monty building the Great Library ;) Our Infantry and Artillery were quickly left behind as our forces evolved. The new Chinese war machine saw Fighters and Bombers stripping a city's defenses as Paratroops dropped into the suburbs and Tanks rolled into position. Then, the next turn, the city inevitably fell.

By 1784, Montezuma, once emperor of all the Americas, was confined to a few minor cities in the Amazon:

The race was on. Race, you ask? Yes. Montezuma could not be allowed to live, to even place a distant second in this game. But Domination threatened to end things prematurely:

Cities were razed instead of kept, but a few border pops, one or two cities coming out of revolt, would have sounded the final gun. The razing of cities, though, eliminated our forward bases from which to launch Paratroopers! It was all Tanks now, and Transports, once forgotten, once again played a major role.

In 1790, with doubtless one or two turns before Domination, Montezuma's final stronghold fell:

As the Palace page finished his report, Qin Shi Huang allowed himself a heavy sigh of relief. His work was done. Earth18 had become Earth1. He could retire, knowing that he was passing down a unified world to his successor. Clanless Barbarians still grumbled at the edges of civilization, but they were more nuisance than threat. Diplomacy, never allowed to the Chinese emperor, was no longer even necessary, for there was no one left to negotiate with. Only to give orders to.

The accolades were thunderous. The day of resignation was a blur of speeches, parades, and flashbulbs. But it was over. Qin, still immortal, now whiles away his days on a Sugar Plantation south of Seoul, sipping tea and avoiding newspapers. The work camps have been shut down, Tanks are being refitted into tractors, and a grand settlement plan is in place to repeople the New World. But, for Qin Shi Huang, the simple life of retirement, of routine, of shuttering his mind to the regrets of the past, is enough. His story, as we tell it here, is over.

So there we have it! Here's a final look at our conquered world:

I decided to go Conquest rather than Domination rather late. It would have been less stressful had I not settled a few late cities. But the AI wasn't making things difficult, so I had to make my own challenges ;)

Here's a look at the final Score chart and the Power Graph:

Yeah. This wasn't even close. But I'm all warmed up and back in the game now!

So how did we do? It was no KotW16, but we did well enough:

Thanks as always to everyone who followed along, and especially to those of you kind enough to offer words of encouragement and support! See you next time!

Here's the final save:

13. Jaaboo

Jaaboo Prince

And the King is back on his throne. Well done, Neal. You inspired me to relaunch Civ 4 and try my hand at a few earth games, only to find, holy crap, I forgot how to play.

Things I've caught myself doing in Civ 4:
    * Not enough workers.
    * Not putting workers on the same tile.
    * Wondering why my units could only move 1 tile at time.
    * Trying to avoid crossing rivers on my workers.
    * Leaving my cities un-garrisoned.

Still, the Earth 18 map (and its variations) is still more enjoyable than the random resource Earth map of Civ 5. :(

14. Coffee Mug

Coffee Mug Chieftain

Well done; that was an excellent read. :goodjob:

15. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!

Fantastic! Glad to see you managed to hit Conquest, which I think we were all secretly hoping for. ;)

Do Greece next! You hinted at Greece a long while back, and I'd love to see what you can do with Alex's position.

16. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I would say well done ... if neal had finally learned to not send ridiculosly small stacks :/ Really , did you thinked that you could beat Monty style SoD with 5 infantries and 1 cannon ?

17. GGracchus

I applaud you on your perseverance, for I never would have finished playing a game that took 36 hours.

18. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

Good read, good game, good work! :cool:

19. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

very nicely done sir. I would have stopped playing after taking the aztec capital lol.

20. Pieman

Pieman Prince

Great work! Man, those late game conquest victories must take some effort - so. much. micromanaging....