Kotaku names Civ V one of the best 12 PC games

You do know what stress relief is right?
Pissing off devout fans of the series like you by spilling dat truth will always be amusing, despite this game being terrible.
Nothing more fun then popping bubbles.

And as Aristos said, there have to be some people to make sure the same mistakes are not made again come CiVI, considering the rant thread is too long to read in a single sitting and the rave thread is about 5 pages I'd say we're doing a pretty good job on this forum at least.

it does say something about you if your preferred method of relief is causing misery in others. im pretty sure i wouldnt be proud of that. but to each their own. carry on taking glee in other's pain.

and while Aristos has a point that criticism should lead to positive changes, constructive criticism is better than snarky one-liners that lessen the power of a message. it's not just what you say but how you say it that gets a message across.

i mean, most forums have ignore settings. some people wear those ignores like a badge of honor but it also means they will never be heard from again. it just boils down to what result you prefer.

/i dont use an ignore list
//cuz i dont let people on the internet piss me off

Moderator Action: Pretty offtopic, isn't it? -> back to topic.

Actually wannabe has stated on numerous occasions that he has a problem with me, being flippant with someone who is just out to piss me off does not seem like moral grey area.
I've spent enough time typing out what I think this game needs, after doing so a couple of times you start to realize it does even less then ranting, as at least that sparks some genuine discussion and reevaluations.

If I thought Firaxis would read and implement my recommendations I would not even come here, in lieu of that I'll settle for making sure they know they shouldn't do a crap job anymore.

Moderator Action: Pretty offtopic, isn't it? -> back to topic.

Moderator Action: If it wasn't clear enough already, please get back on topic and resist the urge to spam.

Originally Posted by Kotaku
The legendary real-time strategy series changed things up significantly with Civilization V to make would-be world domination tons more streamlined. Maps are easier to navigate, crucial information flows easier and it's the best-looking entry in the family tree.

Civilization V isn't a real-time strategy game.

Civilization isn't a real-time strategy series.

Saying that it's the "best-looking entry" in the tree after saying it's "tons more streamlined, easier to navigate, and information flows easier" is overstating the reality. You can't have a bad flow of information if there is little information to present. You can't have a problem navigating an ocean if the ocean is a small lake.

A Good Match for: Event planners. Like a wedding or a milestone birthday party, Civilization V's all about knowing your guests and what they need to have a good time. Of course, those "guests" are rival nations and "a good time" is submitting to the power of your empire.

This means nothing. This is the worst review site I have ever seen. Is this even serious list at this point? They should feel horrible and the sponsors of this site should immediately withdraw their funding.

Not for Those Who Want: Older Civ games. Civilization V is no incremental sequel, and the difference could alienate die-hard fans of the historical franchise.

The difference sure did alienate die-hard fans. It also alienated anybody who liked diplomacy.

Kotaku said:
This means nothing. This is the worst review site I have ever seen. Is this even serious list at this point? They should feel horrible and the sponsors of this site should immediately withdraw their funding.

Please keep in mind Kotaku is not a review site and yes it is a serious list.

Everyone has a different opinion about what games are good, and please stop endlessly flaming Kotaku throughout the thread, it's completely irrelevant to the entire point of the thread. Go ahead and destroy their analysis of it, though, I don't know if the real-time strategy thing was a mistake or ignorance, but they should've edited it out.

but it is irrelevant. to me anyway.

id never heard of Kotaku and i doubt i ever will again, outwith this thread.

Kotaku articles also feature frequently in "Steam News" so they end up being subject to more scrutiny than perhaps some other sites that are of similar quality. I admit it's hard to put much credibility to their opinions when they can't get the basic facts straight. I'd probably get just as good advice on a list of good games from a random-picked 10-year-old.

This game I would not put in my own top 10 at the moment, but a release of the DLL source (as was talked about many months ago) or an expansion (or preferably both! :)) could change that.

Conformism is the sure path to mediocrity.

You are a special snowflake. You are so unique.

Moderator Action: Trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

in order to (and I reckon this might be empty hopes) create some sort of "pressure" to "force" reconsideration for the next iteration...

So your brilliant strategy is to apply the pressure on the people that enjoy the game, on a non-official forum, instead of applying it on the devs through the official channels? good luck.

The article is badly written and the listed games are an absolute joke, the inclusion of Bejeweled gives me the impression it was written by either a 12 year old girl or a 'Casual' [ominous shrieking].
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't kotaku focussed on Anime and such (hence the 'otaku')? What business do they even have bothering with PC games outside of the visual novel/anime adaption genre?

And to the guy above me, according to the dev's themselves they check forums like this, obviously this is the same team that stated the DLL would be released a while ago so take it with a grain of salt.

Kotaku is one of the biggest gaming sites around, its part of the gawker family, and has more then tens of thousand page views a day (a non educated guess by myself, feel free to point me wrong). There are bigger sites like IGN and Gamespot, but give it the respect it deserves.

Over the years it got alot of hate from mainly PC gamers for focusing more on console titles and Japanese culture and games. If your thing is Pokemon and Zelda, its the perfect gaming site for you. If you are into PC title, check RPS. And btw, the "otaku" thing references nerdy obsession, not only related to Japanese anime or manga.

I was on killing spree aiming at all the haters here, knowingly risking a ban, but most of that got shot down by the mods, only one comment went through. So im gonna go out of character and be nice here.

There are 2 points i would like to make here:

1. Yeah, they called it a real-time strategy game and its a shallow review coming from a website most of you aren't familiar with and we all like to hate. But, this is something we should all celebrate here instead of dismising cause the writer had a few mistakes in. This article has the potential to bring in new players, or spark the fire with players that stoped playing. This article is good for the game, the community and this very website. If a random gamer sees this article, sees the game is listed as one of the best PC games around and goes on to buy it of steam, its a win for all of us. If you cant see that, you're just selfish.

2.Please please please, stop with rant posts. Just because you have issues with the current itteration of the franchise doesnt mean you have to be bitter about it on its dedicated discussion board. It helps no one, its counter productive, and it lights the whole community in a bad light. Think about the potential new members, the random un-educated player coming here to find new information, and has to browse through negative comments about how this game ruined the franchise.

I played all the games on this franchise starting with the first civ ( i still remember editing the text files to alter the opening "cinematic"), and i had problems with some of them. It never crossed my mind to go to the civ 4 forums for example and go on about what i dont like.

The game will not change any time soon. It will have expansions and more DLC coming our way. There are areas to improve and im sure someone is already working on that.

A consolidated thread with the changes the community wants is what will help the devs in the long run, not a huge rant thread or some sporadic off-topic hate posts.

Moderator Action: Please do not publicly discuss moderator actions, and please do not call other people 'haters'.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I would just like to repeat that this is not a review by Kotaku, it is a list of their best PC games.

If you want to read their official review (posted September 21, 2010), you can find it here.

zevel said:
Please please please, stop with rant posts. Just because you have issues with the current itteration of the franchise doesnt mean you have to be bitter about it on its dedicated discussion board. It helps no one, its counter productive, and it lights the whole community in a bad light. Think about the potential new members, the random un-educated player coming here to find new information, and has to browse through negative comments about how this game ruined the franchise.

I cannot agree more with this.

Kotaku is one of the biggest gaming sites around, its part of the gawker family, and has more then tens of thousand page views a day (a non educated guess by myself, feel free to point me wrong). There are bigger sites like IGN and Gamespot, but give it the respect it deserves.
Just because it has a lot of views doesn't mean it automaticalyl deserves respect. Fox News is a major news organization in the USA with millions of viewers, and it is still mediocre at best most of the time. Gawker is a pretty scummy company, they've had some shady deals before and their security was non-existent.

If you are into PC title, check RPS. And btw, the "otaku" thing references nerdy obsession, not only related to Japanese anime or manga.
Correction, if you are into reading articles by people who actually do a good job most of the time and really care about their work.

1. Yeah, they called it a real-time strategy game and its a shallow review coming from a website most of you aren't familiar with and we all like to hate. But, this is something we should all celebrate here instead of dismising cause the writer had a few mistakes in. This article has the potential to bring in new players, or spark the fire with players that stoped playing. This article is good for the game, the community and this very website. If a random gamer sees this article, sees the game is listed as one of the best PC games around and goes on to buy it of steam, its a win for all of us. If you cant see that, you're just selfish.
While you have a point that doesn't excuse the fact they made that mistake in the first place. It is a pretty major error and reflects upon the low quality of the website.

I was on killing spree aiming at all the haters here, knowingly risking a ban, but most of that got shot down by the mods, only one comment went through. So im gonna go out of character and be nice here.

I do NOT appreciate being called a "hater". It is the equivalent of me calling you a "fanboy", and I am not doing that (nor will I).

Please adjust your language if you want to deliver a message.

Zevel, Otaku does refer to just japanese obsessions, the term is only commonly used in Japan to refer to the anime/manga afficianado's, and in other countries it is used in the same way but only by Japanophile's (or more commonly known as weaboo's).
Ergo this site has no relevance to this kind of review, it'd be just as relevant if I linked a CiV review from Equiestriadaily.
And I will second that Gawker are a bunch of hacks, they do want the big advertising bucks but don't care about their customers private information being easily accesible in plaintext for a scriptkiddie.

On to the numerals:
1: It's a terrible review made by someone who doesn't know anything about the franchise to the extent that they couldn't even get the name of the genre right, if your reviews are bad, your a bad review site.
This is the same as a bicycle magazine giving a stellar review of a Fiat Panda, they have no proper framework to judge any part of it, and their love for a mediocre to bad car makes their opinions seem invalid and garners hate from anyone who has knowledge about cars in general.

2: What would really be counterproductive is peope abandoning their ranting, it would give the devs the impression they actually did a good job and don't need to fundamentally change the game.
For a complacent person like you there is no use for the ranting because you don't need any real changes, for us there is.
Stating that there is no reason for us to rant without bothering to look at it from our perspective is a bit weird.
And those new poeple that are comming to this site, considering how many ranters there are I would say that a good amount of those people might be looking for rants and people who agree with their frustrations, much like I, and I'm sure many before and after me did.

And I find the "there will be more DLC and expansions" comment absolutely hilarious, the studio's have said nothing to the effect and they've been (and are still) busy on other games like FaceCiv and X-Com, and until now all the DLC's have been tiny and overpriced, put together new leader, couple maps, done.

CIV 5 and Dragon Age 2 has caused me to completely loose faith in any game reviews.
With largely positive 9/10 reviews for both games I have wasted over £40.
I got half way through dragon age 2 and got completely board because it was so dumbed down to point if being irrelevant.
CIV 5 lasted one and a half plays (about 3 hours) for similar reasons.

Both pissed me off no end because I loved Dragon age 1 and have spent untold man months on the Civ series from 1-4 (Civ is undoutably my favourite game series of all time) which is why CIV 5 was such an insult.

This Kotaku clown is clearly part of same conspirecy to market games to me.

Zevel, Otaku does refer to just japanese obsessions, the term is only commonly used in Japan to refer to the anime/manga afficianado's, and in other countries it is used in the same way but only by Japanophile's (or more commonly known as weaboo's).
Ergo this site has no relevance to this kind of review, it'd be just as relevant if I linked a CiV review from Equiestriadaily.
And I will second that Gawker are a bunch of hacks, they do want the big advertising bucks but don't care about their customers private information being easily accesible in plaintext for a scriptkiddie.

On to the numerals:
1: It's a terrible review made by someone who doesn't know anything about the franchise to the extent that they couldn't even get the name of the genre right, if your reviews are bad, your a bad review site.
This is the same as a bicycle magazine giving a stellar review of a Fiat Panda, they have no proper framework to judge any part of it, and their love for a mediocre to bad car makes their opinions seem invalid and garners hate from anyone who has knowledge about cars in general.

2: What would really be counterproductive is peope abandoning their ranting, it would give the devs the impression they actually did a good job and don't need to fundamentally change the game.
For a complacent person like you there is no use for the ranting because you don't need any real changes, for us there is.
Stating that there is no reason for us to rant without bothering to look at it from our perspective is a bit weird.
And those new poeple that are comming to this site, considering how many ranters there are I would say that a good amount of those people might be looking for rants and people who agree with their frustrations, much like I, and I'm sure many before and after me did.

And I find the "there will be more DLC and expansions" comment absolutely hilarious, the studio's have said nothing to the effect and they've been (and are still) busy on other games like FaceCiv and X-Com, and until now all the DLC's have been tiny and overpriced, put together new leader, couple maps, done.

I love you. Lets be friends. Wanna come over and play with my little ponies?
Moderator Action: Don't troll the other users.

Top Bottom