League of Legends

IdiotsOpposite

Boom, headshot.
I've been playing it. Too much. Fun game, although the community's even more vitriolic than the worst of the Taven.

And trust me, that's saying something.

Anyone else in OT play League? Anyone? I WANT TO DISCUSS THINGS WITH YOU PEOPLE BUT I DON'T CARE ABOUT POLITICS ANYMORE LET'S TALK ABOUT MY GAME.

Spoiler :
I am not drunk.

What exactly is leage of legends? I've heard of it for a long time

Free online game. Basically a 5v5 (or less) arena game where you fight to destroy the enemy headquarters before they destroy yours. Addictingly fun, until you get one of the more negative members of the community, then you realize just why you stick to bot games.

Basically, you join a game and are verbally abused the first 10-20 hours in a way far beyond OT-The Tavern as you learn how to play.

Then you take a severe beating as you play against pros whos have been playing for years as you learn how to play the dozens of characters with some degree of skill.

Then finally you run into someone with less experience or a bad connection and pound them into the ground and you feel really really good about yourself.

Tried it, didn't like it.

All my friends play it though, which annoys me because they're always so busy with it.

I play it a lot. Miss Fortune and Ahri are my favourites.

Used to play it. Routinely got harassed because I refused to play by the 2 top 1 mid 2 bottom set up that everyone obsessed over.

Singed and Swain are mine. How do you play Ahri anyway? I mean, how do you usually build her?

I usually follow mobafire's guides.

Used to play it. Routinely got harassed because I refused to play by the 2 top 1 mid 2 bottom set up that everyone obsessed over.

That must of been a while ago because now everyone obsesses over 1 top, 1 jungle, 1 mid, 2 bot (one being a support or tank).

I also feel like this thread belongs to these forums: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

It really sounds like my kinda thing. Wish I tryed it

play dota 2 instead :p

I don't really know enough about LoL. having no deny of the creeps (minions) and kind of the stricter roles assignments/less kills until the teamfights was a little deterrent, but I've tried to see some of the OGN Olympus Champions Winter and the heroes seem to have more AoE target spells that seems to add some higher skill. Or at least some uniqueness that makes more dynamic.

Ryze all the way baby.

I'm NuclearHellRaven on the game. Feel free to add me, but be warned, I am NOT a pro. Not even close.

I don't really know enough about LoL. having no deny of the creeps (minions) and kind of the stricter roles assignments/less kills until the teamfights was a little deterrent, but I've tried to see some of the OGN Olympus Champions Winter and the heroes seem to have more AoE target spells that seems to add some higher skill. Or at least some uniqueness that makes more dynamic.

This.

League of Legends is balanced and forgiving -- just spend months playing to unlock the characters you want, don't tower dive, and you're good to go.

DotA 2 is imbalanced and unforgiving. Want a hero that instantly takes away 65% of your life? Want to be able to die three times in a team fight and still walk away? Want to be able to land fatal critical strikes that also cleave nearby enemies to death? Want to create a BLACK HOLE? Want to steal the BLACK HOLE spell and use it yourself?

I've tried both. LoL towers are too powerful, there is hardly any punishment for dying, and in order to play the full game (with all heroes unlocked) you essentially must enslave yourself to the game for a few years to get the sufficient game points to purchase the champions you desire.

In DotA, everything is available from the get-go, there are tremendous punishments for death, each hero has the capability to obliterate the enemy in a matter of seconds, the towers don't ruin your day (you can dive past them to get more kills), and thus the skill requirement is higher. And, because the skill requirement is higher, there are less teenagers whining about the absurd difficulty of the game as compared to LoL.

That being said, the most interesting LoL hero was probably Jax, before the dodge change. All of the DotA 2 heroes are brilliant in their own right--Kael the Invoker and Darchrow the Enigma, to name a few.

Lol is an inferior copy of the original dota . Dota 2 copies the original dota exactly with better user interface , mechanics,graphics and support . In dota2 game all players start equally for a balanced game .Monetization for dota 2 occurs through cosmetics on heroes. No gameplay difference.

LOL however is pay or play to win. Better summoner spells better heroes are unlocked only on buying them or playing for months to get some points to unlock them .

As for game balance I trust icefrog to better balance the game than guinsoo. Icefrog was the one who brought a semblance of balance to original dota and made this genre popular.

If anyone here wants a dota 2 key just ask. Right now I have 1 key which can be redeemed anywhere and 7 keys which can be redeemed only in China ( I donnow why valve sent China only keys to me :hammer2: ). I suppose the other dota 2 members here have more invites for dota2 which you can ask for .

I like barathrum , slark , axe , bounty hunter, phantom lancer .

This thread will probably be moved.

Imagine tug push'o'war, where the rope is replaced by sets of minions and towers, and the goal is to reach the enemy's base and destroy their nexus. The player controls a champion which can use abilities and items. Champions gain experience to improve their abilities, and gold to buy items through enemy minion/tower kills or by completing certain map objectives.

It's in the two solo lanes, 1 duo lane, 1 jungle warden meta atm.

The role assignments are somewhat of a player creation.

League of Legends is balanced and forgiving -- just spend months playing to unlock the characters you want, don't tower dive, and you're good to go.
If you're willing to spend some money, you can unlock any champion a lot sooner. More expensive champions are not better (they are newer and/or tend to have more advanced mechanics), and there's a rotation of free-to-play champions each week, so it's not like you can't play (and even play well) before you get certain champions unlocked.

DotA 2 is imbalanced and unforgiving. Want a hero that instantly takes away 65% of your life? Want to be able to die three times in a team fight and still walk away? Want to be able to land fatal critical strikes that also cleave nearby enemies to death? Want to create a BLACK HOLE? Want to steal the BLACK HOLE spell and use it yourself?
DotA 2 has death buyback, LoL doesn't. Games play differently as a result.

LoL towers are too powerful, there is hardly any punishment for dying, and in order to play the full game (with all heroes unlocked) you essentially must enslave yourself to the game for a few years to get the sufficient game points to purchase the champions you desire.
LoL towers shoot slower, but harder. DotA towers are also more likely to shoot the player even when minions are present. There's no need to unlock all of the heroes unless one is an enthusiast or a pro. Punishment for death in LoL is gold for the enemy team and being unavailable for your team for a timed period. Later in the game this time period usually allows the enemy team to take down towers/inhibitors/win the game. There is no death buyback to shorten the timer.

In DotA, everything is available from the get-go, there are tremendous punishments for death, each hero has the capability to obliterate the enemy in a matter of seconds, the towers don't ruin your day (you can dive past them to get more kills), and thus the skill requirement is higher. And, because the skill requirement is higher, there are less teenagers whining about the absurd difficulty of the game as compared to LoL.
You can turret dive in LoL, it's just a risky proposition (in an even game without a fed tank).

That being said, the most interesting LoL hero was probably Jax, before the dodge change. All of the DotA 2 heroes are brilliant in their own right--Kael the Invoker and Darchrow the Enigma, to name a few.
Riot adds new champions to the game on a routine basis (around 3-4 weeks).

Lol is an inferior copy of the original dota . Dota 2 copies the original dota exactly with better user interface , mechanics,graphics and support . In dota2 game all players start equally for a balanced game .Monetization for dota 2 occurs through cosmetics on heroes. No gameplay difference.
Not much detail on how the UI, mechanics, et cetera are better, eh?

LOL however is pay or play to win. Better summoner spells better heroes are unlocked only on buying them or playing for months to get some points to unlock them .
Flat out wrong. Many (older) champions can be unlocked with a week (per champion) of steady play (1-2 games a day on average), and those champions are generally just as good (Some champions, new or old, can be over/under-powered. Patches anyone?). Summoner spells (and runes/masteries for that matter) are only acquired via playtime.

As for game balance I trust icefrog to better balance the game than guinsoo. Icefrog was the one who brought a semblance of balance to original dota and made this genre popular.
Based on what, exactly?

*~*~*

Play both, stick with the one(s) you like.

The role assignments are somewhat of a player creation.

Yeah but it's still a bit stricter than dota/dota2, as best as I can tell. I've never heard of a LoL trilane, and after googling it seems it doesn't really happen. Often times there is no jungler in dota but LoL it seems very strange/not professionally used to have no jungle.

the lack of a town portal (tp) scroll makes heroes less globally mobile/active-- I guess you use teleport as a summoner spell right? But teleport is a 300s cooldown compared to a tp scroll 65. If you can't jump around lane to lane without walking you are more limited to "stick in your lane".

Briefly looking up stuff, it also seems the global spells in dota 2/global heroes have much lower cooldown than the global spells/heroes in LoL. Pantheon, nocturne, twisted fate's global spells all are ultimates with 100-120 cooldown at max whereas in dota 2, global spells like wisp/keeper of the light/ancient apparition ultimates have much lower cooldown (45-60 seconds; Ancient apparition does not scale and it always 45s cooldown), in addition to mobility/casting of some heroes like tinker with boots of travel, nature's prophet teleport, wisp in general, and constant invoker sunstrike. It seems dota 2 heroes are much more mobile around level 6 than LoL heroes--though numbers above were maxed out cooldowns.

harder to gank with less mobile heroes/seemingly more rigid lane set up (plus apparently towers much stronger). Also I don't see the equivalent of dota's runes, which hypothetically give any dota hero* (for free, not bought) the possibility to gain an invisibility/max movement speed/double damage/regen life pretty much every 2 minutes in the game.

*generally one person goes for the runes only though.

EDIT: caitlyn's ulti doesn't seem much different than an invoker sunstrike except the max damage (700) is more than the invoker sun strike max (475). Also invoker is pure damage rather than physical.

Actually it seems similar/virtually identical to sniper's ultimate to me, which has the same range and same guiding principle (though caitlyn the bullet can be "intercepted"). And roughly same damage, though physical vs magic damage and much lower mana cost than sniper (but much longer cooldown).

This thread will probably be moved.

Not much detail on how the UI, mechanics, et cetera are better, eh?

I meant with respect to dota 1 . Dota 2 is identical but with better UI . LOL and dota both have better UI than dota 1.

Flat out wrong. Many (older) champions can be unlocked with a week (per champion) of steady play (1-2 games a day on average), and those champions are generally just as good (Some champions, new or old, can be over/under-powered. Patches anyone?). Summoner spells (and runes/masteries for that matter) are only acquired via playtime.

In other words unlocking all champions , summoner spells does take months of play. In dota 2 from the very first game all players start equal and differ only in their ability and skill.

Based on what, exactly?

I have played original dota maps from guinsoo time to icefrog time and icefrog brought the map to a better balance and wider audience. In the moba genre there can be nothing like perfectly balanced heroes when you have over 80 heroes, but icefrog made a lot of them viable atleast for pub play .

the lack of a town portal (tp) scroll makes heroes less globally mobile/active-- I guess you use teleport as a summoner spell right? But teleport is a 300s cooldown compared to a tp scroll 65. If you can't jump around lane to lane without walking you are more limited to "stick in your lane".
Yes and no. A player has to find/create a situation (forcing the lane opponent to choose between death and returning to base, for example) where they are able to leave lane (in some cases should leave lane) and "roam" about the map to gank an enemy and/or help a teammate. It's not that far of a walk if the circumstances are right (which has different criteria between LoL/DotA), even though having 4 champs at mid at the 8 minute mark is unusual (saw it on a stream: enemy mid and tower down). Levels in LoL and DotA are not always comparable, since the cap in LoL is 18 and it's 25 in DotA. The desire to immediately use a global ult at level 6 is, though (and it's not much different in both games). The main reasons LoL's lanes are stickier are that last hit gold and experience is fairly reliable, and wandering without accomplishing some objective (gank/tower/dragon/buff) is a major hit to gold and experience that could have been earned in lane.

Briefly looking up stuff, it also seems the global spells in dota 2/global heroes have much lower cooldown than the global spells/heroes in LoL. Pantheon, nocturne, twisted fate's global spells all are ultimates with 100-120 cooldown at max whereas in dota 2, global spells like wisp/keeper of the light/ancient apparition ultimates have much lower cooldown (45-60 seconds; Ancient apparition does not scale and it always 45s cooldown), in addition to mobility/casting of some heroes like tinker with boots of travel, nature's prophet teleport, wisp in general, and constant invoker sunstrike. It seems dota 2 heroes are much more mobile around level 6 than LoL heroes--though numbers above were maxed out cooldowns.
Team fights (or sieges when close to a tower) in LoL are a bit more protracted than in DotA, and as you said skills in LoL generally tend to scale (on item stats). Most characters don't have that sort of high degree of mobility so they can't just roam all throughout enemy territory and evade the other team without substantial risk of death (and knock on effects with regard to which lanes are pushed due to the alive champ shortage.) DotA 2 has different items/mechanics to accommodate a style of play where a champion is more free to wander about the map, particular without as much lost through missing experience (champion levels in a DotA game tend to spread out quite a bit) and lost gold from last hits. Reducing player mobility in general emphasizes short term planning, as a champion cannot easily defend an objective they are not close to, and ult use alone may not be enough to save a disadvantaged fight.

Edit: I forgot to mention that players can recall (a free ability) back to base in LoL within 8 seconds if not interrupted. In DotA this requires a tp scroll.

harder to gank with less mobile heroes/seemingly more rigid lane set up (plus apparently towers much stronger). Also I don't see the equivalent of dota's runes, which hypothetically give any dota hero* (for free, not bought) the possibility to gain an invisibility/max movement speed/double damage/regen life pretty much every 2 minutes in the game.
Usually the early gank job is given to the jungler, and it's best applied on lane opponents who have overextended (and not warded properly, or just ignoring what their wards reveal). The person usual gets hit with CC (and in many cases, a DoT from the ignite summoner spell) and killed before they reach the relative safety of the tower. Other ganks happen via roaming laners as per the above. This can happen a fair number of times in the first 15-20 minutes (after which lane assignments tend to break down since tower diving on 1-2 with 2-5 becomes a lot easier). LoL has jungle buffs instead of runes, with these two flavors on summoner's rift: red:slow + DoT, blue: mana regen + cooldown reduction. Jungles buffs can be acquired from either jungle mobs or enemy champions. LoL also has bushes if a champion wants to try to hide and wait for enemy players to get too close.

I meant with respect to dota 1 . Dota 2 is identical but with better UI . LOL and dota both have better UI than dota 1.
That wasn't clear the first time around. You seemed to be implying that Dota 2 was better than LoL in those categories. If that's case, mind substantiating your opinion in some way?

In other words unlocking all champions , summoner spells does take months of play. In dota 2 from the very first game all players start equal and differ only in their ability and skill.
With paid exp boosts, all summoner spells can be unlocked within a week. Two if you decide to forgo such boosts (okay, it's still one if you're really into the game and play a bunch of games). Players with low summoner levels (champion levels are within matches, not outside of them) are usually matched with like players, so runes/masteries do not provide substantial differences in power (and runes are arguably not worth the IP (playtime currency) before summoners reach a certain level). Given the free champion rotation, It's in no way necessary to unlock all champions, ever. Unlock the champs you want, and skip the ones you don't. The player is also at liberty to pay money ($2-$8 per champ) if they want to unlock champions sooner that their playtime/wins allow. There are champ packages for that purpose, even.

If you don't genuinely detest Riot including champ unlocks in their business model, it's not actually a problem. Perhaps some heavier DotA players can elaborate on the pick/counterpick issues therein.

I have played original dota maps from guinsoo time to icefrog time and icefrog brought the map to a better balance and wider audience. In the moba genre there can be nothing like perfectly balanced heroes when you have over 80 heroes, but icefrog made a lot of them viable atleast for pub play .
LoL has a fairly wide audience: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/League of Legends

Top Bottom