Lesser known stuff to do in New York City?

Shekwan

Kim Chi Quaffing Celt
I'm gonna be in New York city this week for five days with my family to visit relatives but mostly to shop. I've been there before so I've done all the typical tourist stuff.

So what lesser known stuff to do in New York city do you guys reccommend?

The kind of stuff I mean are like historical sites, unique shops, great places to eat ( I was really impressed by the range of restaurants/delis last time ) etc. Also I'm going to be there for the NFL playoffs - wheres a good place to go to watch the games?

Well, there's a bunch of Asian restaurants in Flushing, Queens.

You could go shopping for books in the Strand Bookstore, 18 miles of books indoors, and they're all discounted by a lot. I think some history book that cost normally $75 dollars was discounted to like $10. They also sell antique books, from leather-bound books to paperbacks from the 20s.

You could also eat at Jackson Hole restaurants for a 7 oz. burger. :D

visit me :)

New York Pastrami at the restaurant that stays open ridiculously late... forgotten its name.
And that rather nice bar in one side of Grand Central Station.

Really depends on how old you are and where you are staying.

Museums - I always liked the Musuem of Natural History. Also, the Met (Metropolitan Musuem of Art), MOMA (Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art) and the Guggenhiem.

If it's still up, the big Xmas tree and skating rink in Rockefeller Center.

Can recommend bars in any neighborhood. Good clusters on the Upper East Side, Lower East Side and the East Village.

Pretty much same with restaraunts, good in any neighborhood.

Chinatown is always interesting.

History - NYC pretty much sucks for history. All the old buildings are downtown, mostly churches.

NFL - The NY Giants will be playing next Sunday. Against Philadelphia. Any bar (sports bar or not) will be good. Just step out the door of where you're staying and ask the first guy you see.

I recommend grabbing a free paper (AmNY) in the morning outside of any subway stop. It'll have what's going on in the city for the next 5 days - concerts, comedians, poetry readings, shootings, traffic...whatever.

hookers and drugs are cool things to do in New york city, not your typical tourist thing.

Walk down canal street and look at all the cool shops. Maybe you could scoop up some bootleg movies or something. Beware of the hustlers and cheap knock offs.

See a comedy show.

Shop, and shop some more.

hokkers and drugs are cool things to do in New york city, not your typical tourist thing.

The John Lennon Memorial in Central Park is your friend:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Too many responses to reply to each as it's late here but yeah good stuff. Thanks :goodjob:

I'm only 20 - I guess the bars are really strict on drinking age? My brother is 21 though. We're both big NFL fans so we're going to have to find somewhere to find the game.

Oh and this if you're willing to take the risk:

http://www.webehigh.com/city/detail.php?CITYID=2015

Damn it would go well with all the awesome food mentioned...

It would be great fun to head off to the projects to enquire: "papi, who got that work? or who got that yerba" I really don't think I could pull that off with my accent. :lol:

There is a shooting range in Manhattan I believe.

How would that work? You can rent guns or something? That would cool.

Try going to every place that someone says is the best pizza place in new york until you die of punctuated painful pizza poisoning from eating so much of the stuff.

How would that work? You can rent guns or something? That would cool.

Don't go all GTA IV Niko Bellic on us now, we don't want an alert rating of six stars in New York, that would mess up my morning subway commute. ;)

You cannot rent guns in New York, not even sure if its legal at all in the US. You can go to the shooting range and bust some caps into a paper target though.

You should go to the Met at least, very nice museum. Three special exhibits closed today though. :(

You could always visit me, in Flushing, Queens, or maybe you would rather check out my school, Number One Rated Public High School in the United States? :p

Top Bottom