Let's talk about oil

How old is your information?

May I suggest reading the theory?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

When I was a kid, one of the science books I kept on the shelf said the Earth had about thirty years' worth of oil left, at then-current consumption rates.

That was just about thirty years ago. Yet our estimates of remaining reserves have gone up rather than down.

So I think it's pretty safe to say the Peak Oil theory is ocean foam, and that we actually have no freaking idea how much oil we really have left.

That's reasonable. Cellulosic ethanol would be gold however. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulosic_ethanol

It's argued too that ethanol is a crappy replacement for oil, and will need chemical modifying.

Personally I think if society in general doesn't achieve great success in replacing oil thru alternative and biological fuels, it will start resembling China.
http://www.gct.com/gcc/images/gct/newsletter/photos/beijing_article_main.jpg

As for ethanol, I can only see food prices rising in the coming decades, and ultimately arable land will probably be better used there. While there is a lot of "excess" land in North America, environmental problems in places like China could seriously decrease the quality and quantity of land for production there. People will need food to eat more than they will need it to burn.

Isn't the Falkland Islands meant to be rich in oil
Argentina will be slighty annoyed if there is!

Looks like the "experts" have been wrong nine years running. Perhaps they forgot to take into account that oil is a finite resource. :crazyeye:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20602099&sid=a4TaaWTvtxLE&refer=energy

Oil May Top Analyst Estimates a Ninth Year, Deutsche Bank Says

Crude oil may exceed analysts' estimates for a ninth year as forecasters fail to recognize the lasting effect of changes to supply and demand fundamentals, according to Deutsche Bank AG.

"The analyst community has been slow to adjust to the new world order,'' Michael Lewis, Deutsche Bank's London-based head of commodities research, said in a telephone interview yesterday. "We're now in the ninth consecutive year where the market is underestimating the strength in the oil price.''

...The repeated failure to accurately predict oil prices can be linked to the use of a "mean-reversion'' model, which assumes that prices shrug off temporary disruptions and return to historical norms, Lewis said.

Oil predictions have been put off course by a "sequence of events'' including the resilience of the global economy, and Asian growth in particular, Lewis said. The dollar's slide to a record low against the euro, hurricanes in the U.S. Gulf, disappointing supply growth outside OPEC, and underinvestment in spare capacity, have also played a part.

It is "difficult to see'' such factors, which have put upward pressure on prices, "moving in reverse,'' Lewis said. They will be exacerbated by a "growing wedge over the next 10 years'' between annual supply growth of about 1.6 percent, and a depletion rate for existing oilfields of about 3.5 percent, Lewis said.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.--John Maynard Keynes

Narz--maybe you can explain a few things to us novices that peak oil theory is imminent and I emphasize imminent.

Most of the theories I've read say that unrestrained extraction of a finite resouce rises along a bell-shaped curve that peaks when about half the resource is gone. Would you agree with this assessment?

If so does this actually mean externalities like regulations, taxes (complex investment structures), technology, policy considerations (Venezuela production decline and key employees moving to Alberta) and even wars (see Iran/Iraq wars impact of offshore wells) don't impact the level of production and exploration?

The strangest part of the argument to me is how they believe that discovery and depletion is what nature has to offer rather than being influenced by oil prices which then determines the amount of capital available for drilling. It also seems to discount policy considerations whereby governments (see Venezuela again) determines when exploration is allowed, at what economic value and what can be extracted.

I guess as an investor (my own small opinion) would be the drop in exploration reflects sound economic behavior since no one wants to waste money exploring for something that won't be used for decades.

Last, why am I to believe your theorists over the geologists at USGS or the people who have developed an extremely expensive database at Petroconsultants (IHS Energy). Are your people made up of academics that prove their work like this? I've see a lot of graphs but no citations. If they did have proof I'm sure every oil futures trader would want that database and would pay considerably more than websites and books these guys sell.

i bet bush is looking at this thread right now

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.--John Maynard Keynes
But the market can't stay irrational forever.

Narz--maybe you can explain a few things to us novices that peak oil theory is imminent and I emphasize imminent.

Most of the theories I've read say that unrestrained extraction of a finite resouce rises along a bell-shaped curve that peaks when about half the resource is gone. Would you agree with this assessment?
Sounds right.

If so does this actually mean externalities like regulations, taxes (complex investment structures), technology, policy considerations (Venezuela production decline and key employees moving to Alberta) and even wars (see Iran/Iraq wars impact of offshore wells) don't impact the level of production and exploration?
Of course they will effect production but Albertan oil is not the same as Venezulean oil. I don't think most peal oil theory advocates claim the curve will be perfectly. New discoveries will effect it, terrorism will effect it, wars will effect it, new technology will effect it. However, given the rate of new discoveries it doesn't seem likely that there will be any new discoveries large enough to significantly alter things. Perhaps new technology will save us but I haven't seen anything revolutionary enough yet.

The strangest part of the argument to me is how they believe that discovery and depletion is what nature has to offer rather than being influenced by oil prices which then determines the amount of capital available for drilling. It also seems to discount policy considerations whereby governments (see Venezuela again) determines when exploration is allowed, at what economic value and what can be extracted.
Well, if we allowed all oil to be drilled immediately and as fast as possible (economic & environmental considerations be damned) it would only worsen the situation, IMO. Better to converse while we still have a choice in the matter to buy ourselves some more time for alternative fuel research.

I guess as an investor (my own small opinion) would be the drop in exploration reflects sound economic behavior since no one wants to waste money exploring for something that won't be used for decades.
The arguments I've heard for not building new refineries is that there is no point since there's not enough new oil being extracted to refine it.

Last, why am I to believe your theorists over the geologists at USGS or the people who have developed an extremely expensive database at Petroconsultants (IHS Energy). Are your people made up of academics that prove their work like this? I've see a lot of graphs but no citations. If they did have proof I'm sure every oil futures trader would want that database and would pay considerably more than websites and books these guys sell.
Ok, peak oilers aren't my people (anymore than civfanatics are my people. As for the varying predictions, how can you be sure they're accurate no matter who forecasts them? There is obviously alot of fraud in the forecasting industry (for example, IIRC, most of the Middle East suddenly doubled their reserves at one point with no apparent explanation and surprisingly no questioning).

So, did you pay for the USGS forecast? If not, how do you know what they say?

BTW, I'm not an oil expert and you probably (almost certainly) know more about the industry than I do. That said, I am suspicious of the predictions and intentions of those who make claims on both sides (including "my people" ;)), that said, isn't it better to be safe than sorry? If we underestimate the amount of cost-effectively extractable oil in the ground don't you think we'll be better off than if we over-estimate it? I dare not call myself a "conservative" because of what that word has come to mean these days but I do believe it's better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best then merely to expect the best & only the best (the idea that "the market" will "automatically" solve the problem). This type of thinking seems insane to me. Nothing is solved but thru the effort and change in attitudes & behavior of the masses. The idea that we'll automatically solve our energy concerns seems about as logical as the idea that we'll automatically curtail global warming or even automatically survive as a species. This type of optimism (which I associate with adolescence) can sometimes be a self-fulfilling prophecy (for example, as a young adult I had supreme confidence in my driving & despite being somewhat reckless and, as I was actually a pretty good driver underneath my recklessness I avoided accidents for years) but then again, eventually, inevitably, reality tempers the unrealistic (in my case I got in an accident that would have killed me had I been driving a British car - i.e. : the car was totaled passenger side of the car was crushed, praise Allah I had no one in the car but me).

The abandonment of the gold standard is another example of a short term fix leading inevitably (IMO) to long term negative effects.

Just my limited, subjective, somewhat intuitive perspective.

Narz we're in agreement it will happen it's the scale and slope that we probably disagree on. I've been doing this long enough to realize that the markets climb a wall of worry and every year for the last 100 I could give you a reason why. Some legitimate (S&L bailout, biotech and internet bubbles)and some not so much (call me a imminent peak oil skeptic).

I won't answer your post since I've answered it in another thread and yes I have access through my firm and other firms research to many of the forecasts and databases I mentioned. Here are my posts for posterity sake.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5708276&postcount=40

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5709643&postcount=50

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5710109&postcount=61

People will only stop using oil when it becomes too expensive. It will gradually cost more and more to find and retrieve oil because there's less chance of finding it now that we've taken a lot of it. It will be harder to retrieve because the leftover bits will be more difficult to get out of the ground as the easy stuff has been taken.

As you may well have gathered from playing civilization, oil is a very important resource; however Civ misrepresents how important this convenient resource is for the modern world economy. I personally believe we're just past peak and we're yet to feel the consequences of that, which might be as soon as this fall.

Bas

Edit - Re : Whomp

Thanks for the food for thought.

That said, I still maintain it's ideal to be prepared for a worst case scenario. I also maintain that never has the world economy been as vulnerable as it is now (terrorism, China & other "developing nations" wanting to live as decadent lives as us, over-specialization & dependence on complex systems beyond comprehension, climate change, soil erosion, etc.).

I also will never believe in the viability of expodential growth or believe that the current rate of human expansion (population, comfortability of life, etc.) is at all sustainable and ultimately we're going to have to pay for our greed & hubris. This is nothing I can prove with graphs or editorials, just my take on the situation. In the end, we're not above nature nor beyond overreaching. It's not that I don't have faith in human ingenuity, it's that I find that overestimating it's limits can often be disasterous.

But, hey, I hope the doomiest of the doomers are wrong and that the economy stays stable for the next five years at least. I'm woefully unprepared for economic, social or climate turbulence at the present moment.

What does happen I will be very, very curious to see. Certainly it will be an interesting era this 21st century. As supposedly "eventful" the past few decades (my lifetime) have been I think it will be nothing compared to what's to come.

The arguments I've heard for not building new refineries is that there is no point since there's not enough new oil being extracted to refine it.
Like Venezuelan oil is different from Albertan oil, refineries need to be designed to handle certain types of crude, or old ones modified.

If we underestimate the amount of cost-effectively extractable oil in the ground don't you think we'll be better off than if we over-estimate it?
The rules around what can, and cannot be classified as reserves are very clear. Yes, there are some assumptions that can be conservative, and some that are not, but they all have to be defendable in audits. Basically, for new fields, you cannot book reserves until you have committed funding to develop them. Just finding them is not good enough. You can list 'scope for recovery', but the markets take little view of that. For existing fields, the reserves are actually a minor function of price. If production rates decline to the point where OPEX exceeds production (or actually, the return on investment means the money is best spent elsewhere), the field will be shut-down; whether reserves remain or not. However, an increase in the oil price changes the economic cut-off.

Do I really need to cover this topic again? Peak Oil is a misnomer.

There is PLENTY of oil left, its just more expensive to get.
Well that's exactly what Peak Oil says. How is it a misnomer? It's "_Peak_ Oil", not "Ran Out Of Oil"...

As oil gets more expensive, alternative fuels become more attractive to invest in, produce, and distribution. As that occurs, the cost of alt fuels is lowered, and eventually oil will be an afterthought.
I hope you are right. (What alternative fuels are out there, out of curiousity?)

If this has occured for numerous other commodities and is a trend that has yet to be broken by any comodity, what makes oil so different?
Well I think you answer yourself here:

Extrapolating current trends into the future is NOT good science.

Top Bottom