Let's talk about oil

I found this cruising Wikipedia today.

If my math is correct, global consumption is only .00016% of available solar energy.

I am already discounting what narz has to say based on him living in Santa Cruz. there is no economic reality there.

That'll be handy for when we've built our Dyson Sphere. In the meantime?

I don't have a clue. It was food for thought. :)

I think so, too; my guess is that that's an estimated figure if it could all be harnessed somehow... it would be interesting to see what their assumptions are, though.

Power conversion efficiency, solar cell tech considered, where to place the things, etc...

I think so, too; my guess is that that's an estimated figure if it could all be harnessed somehow... it would be interesting to see what their assumptions are, though.

Power conversion efficiency, solar cell tech considered, where to place the things, etc...

I'm no scientist, and this is purely a guess/opinion but I think the Wind and Solar are vastly over exaggerated in the picture. :(

What I have to say pertains to America and OPEC:

Oil has hit 96$ a barrel. It is nearing triple digit figures. America is sick of this, but keeps doling out the dough to the middle east. Why? America has more than enough oil to supply itself in the richest land in the world. Why do we not access it? Because laws from the 60s made by protesting, economically ******ed hippies made creation of new refineries and oil drills unprofitable with pointless restrictive laws. Why should America be contained by actions made 4 decades ago by people who hit the bong before writing them?

America needs to access its own resources. The creation of new refineries would boost the economy and cut the trade defecit AND, if well done, lower GHG Emissions by retiring less efficient wells and refineries. And while we are at it, why not build new nuclear plants as well? New nuclear plants could be more efficient and less risky than current ones! Environmentalists, Hippies and Conservatives can all stand to profit from new nuclear plants.

As long as we keep buying foreign oil, we are making an unjustifiable trade off.

Every barrel of foreign oil we buy today takes money OUT of the pockets of American citizens and IN to the pockets of our enemies.

What I have to say pertains to America and OPEC:

Oil has hit 96$ a barrel. It is nearing triple digit figures. America is sick of this, but keeps doling out the dough to the middle east. Why? America has more than enough oil to supply itself in the richest land in the world. Why do we not access it? Because laws from the 60s made by protesting, economically ******ed hippies made creation of new refineries and oil drills unprofitable with pointless restrictive laws. Why should America be contained by actions made 4 decades ago by people who hit the bong before writing them?

America needs to access its own resources. The creation of new refineries would boost the economy and cut the trade defecit AND, if well done, lower GHG Emissions by retiring less efficient wells and refineries. And while we are at it, why not build new nuclear plants as well? New nuclear plants could be more efficient and less risky than current ones! Environmentalists, Hippies and Conservatives can all stand to profit from new nuclear plants.

As long as we keep buying foreign oil, we are making an unjustifiable trade off.

Every barrel of foreign oil we buy today takes money OUT of the pockets of American citizens and IN to the pockets of our enemies.

There is so much misinformation in your post I wouldn't know where to begin.

But the basic idea is there: Reduce our dependence on foreign energy. I think everyone agrees with that.
Except the basic premise of how to do it is fatally flawed. There is not enough oil on US soil to sustain the economy for any extended period of time. Building refineries will not solve the problem that the oil will still have to be bought outside the country. And the ******ed hippies and environmentalists as he so endearingly calls them will probably contribute more to the energy crisis through real action than simply drilling in the ANWAR will ever do.

But the basic idea is there: Reduce our dependence on foreign energy. I think everyone agrees with that.
Good idea, how about you guys add energy conservation to that? It's about time America uses modern technology properly instead of wasting huge amounts of resources.

@Darth Meanie...what have hippies done to you that you detest them so much. Didn't know it was them that brought America into such a dilemma. Well, at least they had fun smoking pot instead of fighting a useless war in Iraq.

Except the basic premise of how to do it is fatally flawed. There is not enough oil on US soil to sustain the economy for any extended period of time. Building refineries will not solve the problem that the oil will still have to be bought outside the country. And the ******ed hippies and environmentalists as he so endearingly calls them will probably contribute more to the energy crisis through real action than simply drilling in the ANWAR will ever do.

Well he did mention nuclear power, give him that. Add all the other renewable sources, and conservation, as thERat said, and we'll get somewhere.

I don't know what planet you're living on but from my perspective 'the media' keeps telling us everything is going to be all right. I tend to agree with Narz in that we're in for some big changes and they're not going to be ushered in smoothly by the free market.

Must read different media. I see the headlines everyday about the dollar falling and stuff collapsing and all that

I thought that the relation was that poor and rich lived roughly equally satisfactory lives, but that poor lived considerably less satisfactory lives if they lived among the rich, or within eyesight of the rich.

No. There's an income level where the amount of happiness that comes from each additional increase in happiness begins to have decreasing marginal returns. It flat-lines as we get the ridiculously rich

And you should understand that oil isn't used just as a source of energy. Ever heard about plastics?

Also, the mechanism that you believe will prevent economic crisis resulting from high oil prices is not so smooth as you think. You don't count with rapidly increasing demand in the developing countries, which drives the prices skywards. You ignore the fact that we still don't have any reasonable alternative for fossil fuels as the main source of energy.

Fusion power is being developed, but it will hardly become feasible before 2050. Nuclear power would be good, but people don't want it. Renewable sources of energy are mostly extremelly expensive or simply unfeasible for large-scale production.

Simply put, the belief that the Holy Rule of Economics will prevent the crises is just a wishful thinking and an excuse for doing nothing about our irresponsible use of resources.

My home is green. I drive a scooter. I can grow my own food. Thanks for judging me.

And yes, I realize oil is used for more than just going a go-go. Glad to know I didn't waste 8 years of college

Ya well, I live in a janitor's closet at my place of work, get around barefoot, and I don't eat food. THERE, I WIN!

Of course you do. Youre supporting Putin

The hippie stuff was just for emphasis. I guess I was a little harsh about that. Alaska, California, and Florida could supply America with oil for decades though. We just are not drilling that much, which is what I am complaining about.

EDIT: Nuclear power is also the way to go. I personally applaude hybrids for being fuel efficient and less wasteful, but we need a better power source to do that to. Renewed interest in nuclear power could decrease waste, increase power, decrease power bills, and let us retire older, more dangerous nuclear plants.

Top Bottom