• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Let's talk cigars

Mr. Dictator

A Chain-Smoking Fox
I'm becoming a fan after last night.

I have had a CAO Moontrance before, but i hated it. Then, last night, i had a Maker's Mark and it was a dream.

Anyone have any favourites? Average prices? Taste?

Partagas and Romeo Y Julietta...although you might not be able to get them where you live :mischief:

Partagas and Romeo Y Julietta...although you might not be able to get them where you live :mischief:

tell me about it :[

there were some pre-embargo 50's in the place though...my friend said they'd kick my ass if i smoked em so i didnt get em.

It's all about the La Gloria's and the CAO's.

Mr. Dictator - Are you sure you didn't simply enjoy it because of the moment?

Mr. Dictator - Are you sure you didn't simply enjoy it because of the moment?

well, i enjoyed the moontrance i had for a bit...the taste was just off and when i tried the other one, the taste was better.

but, the moment didnt really play much into it, at least i think it didnt.

Romeo and Juliets, and a number of good Domenican stogies. There are some barely passable Dutch options.

When I smoked I use to get local grown and rolled cigars that were really fresh and good. Now there are few to no local tobacco farms.

My favourite Cubans are probably Cuaba: stronger than the ridiculously overpriced Cohiba, and nice to look at.

I don't smoke 'em, but one of my buddies just gets the cheap Romanian stuff.

surely moontrance isnt a good representation of the company, so what would you get?

I haven't had a moontrance, but everything else I've had has been superb to near superb. I can't tell you off hand exactly what I've gotten, but I typically like a dark CAO. They have some of the best full flavored stogies I've ever had.

Being as I'm on vacation in Orlando now, I should have a few stogie nights. I'll pick a couple up and let you know what I like best.

But anyhow, La Gloria's still own. So far as cost goes, they are an absolute top quality stogie at...often times half the cost of a top quality stogie. You can get a number of 90+ rated cigars from them according to Cigar Affecienato for under $15.

Cigars are tasty as hell. Im defeintly getting one soon.

Used to smoke em alot, but havent in a long time. Been hankering for one.
Those cuban ones are generally too strong, dominican ones are better for beginners and usually not as expensive.

Tips for beginners:

1. Do not inhale.

2. Cut it properly, dont use your teeth or a dull knife, use a proper guilliotine, or failing that, a box cutter.

3. Don't ever under any circumstances light your cigar with a candle or a zippo lighter. I dont care what you saw the tough guy in the movie do. Gas lighters or matches only.

4. Light it up good. It cant be smoldering when you light it, you have to burn the tobacco.

5. Dont put it out halfway through and light it again later, that just ruins it.
Make a ritual out of it, and realize its gonna take a good 15 minutes or more.
If you dont want to smoke all of it, then fine, but you can't come back and smoke the rest later. Well, you can but then it tastes like puzi.

Enjoy. :cowboy:

1. Do not inhale.

I've always wondered about this (never had a cigar in my life)... :) How do you smoke them without inhaling? Because I always knew you don't inhale... but how exactly do you do it? :) Do you just keep the smoke in your mouth, then throw it out when you exhale?

This sounds dumb, but I'm a complete n00b: if you get a buzz, are you doing it wrong, or is that supposed to happen? :confused:

I've always wondered about this (never had a cigar in my life)... :) How do you smoke them without inhaling? Because I always knew you don't inhale... but how exactly do you do it? :) Do you just keep the smoke in your mouth, then throw it out when you exhale?
Pretty much. You draw it into your mouth, then release it.

This sounds dumb, but I'm a complete n00b: if you get a buzz, are you doing it wrong, or is that supposed to happen? :confused:
That's kinda the point of them.

Well, you can inhale once or twice, specially if youre a hard core nicotine addict, but more than that (while smoking on the thing for like 20 minutes) will make you feel nauseated.

You pull the smoke into your mouth, keep it there a while and then release. What happens is, your body takes up enough nicotince from the cigar, through your mouth, cause thats a lot of tobacco youre smoking. Also the sweet taste builds up in your mouth and throat, so a good cigar is like eating candy, man. :)

Thats why some people like to drink brandy with their cigars. I guess to enhance the sweetness.

EDIT: The buzz is defenitly supposed to happen.

Top Bottom