• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Linking to embedded images?

Gogf

Indescribable
Hey guys. For fairly complicated reasons involving our time-sensitive bandwidth needs, where I work our network is set up so that I cannot load hotlinked images. As a consequence, viewing threads with embedded images is really a hassle for me. I have to right click, copy the image URL to my clipboard, then load the image in its own window or tab. I have to do this for every single image in the thread. Thankfully the images do display as embedded images once they're in my cache, but as you can imagine doing this in a thread with even just a few images is enormously frustrating.

Would it be possible to do something with embedded images like what we now do with embedded videos? If we had a "Link to image" link below each hotlinked image, then I would just be able to middle-click on that and have a new tab load in the background with the image. I think it's really cool that the administration of this forum is willing to look out for the interests of individual members, and I was wondering if I and the other people who may be in the same situation as me might have the same consideration that Valka had for her similarly-frustrating YouTube issue. Thanks!

This is using Firefox, but if you right click the image (or where the image is suppose to be) and hit view image, doesn't that go straight to the image link? Not sure if that would work in your case?

Its not as straight-forward. The
>Link to video.

This would actually be incredibly useful, not just because of what Gogf said, but also because sometimes hotlinking is actually disabled, whereas typing the addy into the web browser will work.

It would also allow people to give credit to the website the image came from; I'm sure creators of content for CFC (the C&C sections, artwork etc) would appreciate being given credit by other sites, so a little bit of internet karma would be a nice touch :)

Would this apply only to images hotlinked from regular sites, or to images that are posted from somebody's hosted account (ie. Photobucket)? :confused:

Actually, I'm surprised hotlinking is allowed here, because it's a form of bandwidth theft, unless the site in question requires hotlinking.

On the one hand, it would be rather nice to have some way of knowing more about a photo (ie. those in the Amazing Photos thread) because people don't often say what the photo is of, or where it was taken.

On the other hand, some people prefer to keep their Photobucket accounts private. So would this mean that only the specific image would be accessible, or would it be a back door into the rest of the person's photos?

It would just be the image url, wouldn't it? So I don't think that would allow users to look at someone's entire Photobucket/ImageShack accounts.

OK - the "easy" way to do this appears to be to go to your User Control Panel, and choose "edit options". If you turn-off "show images" in the "visible post elements" section, they display as URLs instead of pictures.

Why can't we have the same option for embedded videos? I'd really rather not see the ugly link every time someone posts a video.

Why can't we have the same option for embedded videos? I'd really rather not see the ugly link every time someone posts a video.
Because its not a built-in vbulletin option.

I am investigating other options. I would actually like to be able to set both as an option to give people control over the way things are displayed. But that is not straight-forward.

OK - the "easy" way to do this appears to be to go to your User Control Panel, and choose "edit options". If you turn-off "show images" in the "visible post elements" section, they display as URLs instead of pictures.

Awesome, thanks.

Because its not a built-in vbulletin option.

I am investigating other options. I would actually like to be able to set both as an option to give people control over the way things are displayed. But that is not straight-forward.

That shouldn't be fantastically difficult to implement. We did something similar in the old GCF with skin images. In fact, I imagine it could be done without even having to really get into the forum files by using Javascript.

Would this apply only to images hotlinked from regular sites, or to images that are posted from somebody's hosted account (ie. Photobucket)? :confused:

Actually, I'm surprised hotlinking is allowed here, because it's a form of bandwidth theft, unless the site in question requires hotlinking.

On the one hand, it would be rather nice to have some way of knowing more about a photo (ie. those in the Amazing Photos thread) because people don't often say what the photo is of, or where it was taken.

On the other hand, some people prefer to keep their Photobucket accounts private. So would this mean that only the specific image would be accessible, or would it be a back door into the rest of the person's photos?

Many site admins that host a lot of pics will take note of where their hotlinked images are being linked from, and block linking from that site. Others don't care. And some, like the image hosts, are intended to be hotlinked to.

The hotlinking blocks are normally from the host end, not the linking end.

Many site admins that host a lot of pics will take note of where their hotlinked images are being linked from, and block linking from that site. Others don't care. And some, like the image hosts, are intended to be hotlinked to.

The hotlinking blocks are normally from the host end, not the linking end.
I realize this. However, some forums don't allow hotlinking, period, whether the host site allows (or even requires) it.

Remembering who allows what gets a bit confusing after awhile... :crazyeye:

Top Bottom