1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LizNES5: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying, And Love The Bomb

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by TheLizardKing, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

I'm going to hold my tongue, and not write a response to the USMA's longueur soliloquy, for such grandstanding shouldn't be occurring, especially before the update is even posted.

Now, with that said, should the USMA and France wish to argue this further, with other people, then I will post my honest concerns about France's actions. Until then, however, I will leave with this:

OOC: Your comparison to Italy doesn't hold up well, I'm afraid; least of all, because the CSA doesn't control Trent or Dalmatia, nor any other far-flung regions France may covet.

2. arya126

arya126 Squad Leader

I apologize for the longness and unorganized manner of my post above. I basically just started writing, and didnt care to take time to organize, revise, edit, and just make it look professional in general.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

To be honest, I prefer longer posts to shorter ones, because at least you described your opinion in its entirety! As opposed to leaving room for assumption.

4. Julius Gandi

Julius Gandi The Foreign Disease

I am not really sure why the person in question here isn't the one who is defending his actions.

5. Cannae

Cannae Philosophy of Poverty

To: World

I really think that a peaceful alternative to all of this is better than fighting over this conflict. And although we can't and won't choose sides in this conflict sides as of now, we scorn the French for their actions.

To: France, CSA, and USA

We ask that a reasonable peace be made soon and made fast. We think it's best for our nations to do so. And not doing so will result in unneeded bloodshed and violence.

OOC: I think that France's action doesn't reflect history accurately, I don't think that's a bad thing for NESing. I mean maybe a few weird and historically unorthodox shifts is what's needed to spice up some NESes, even if it's very different to actual history. But I don't know, I don't think its worth heckling the person running the NES about this, and what they say is final. And I didn't want to add to the issue but I think I might as well bring it up.

6. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

I can't watch entourage without thinking about the dutch anymore. THANK YOU VERY MUCH LoE - U JERK!

7. Eltain

Eltain Emperor

If there's two things I hate, it's people who discriminate against other cultures ... and the Dutch.

8. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

Aww, you guys. I'm flattered. :love:

Bombing in retaliation to inflammatory, anti-Dutch remarks will commence in 5...

9. Julius Gandi

Julius Gandi The Foreign Disease

10. TheLizardKing

TheLizardKing Let's talk Michelle.

Peaceful Matters in 1964
    Argentina has joined the Sitka-Quito Cooperative, gaining the defense of not only most North and South American nations, but all the technological benefits that come with it. (+Argentinian Happiness)

British Monarch George VI has died at the age of 68 this year, causing mourning (and celebration, depending on where you were) across the Empire. His daughter Elizabeth takes the crown, and is coronated as Queen Elizabeth II. Foreign dignataries were invited, and came, and it was about as depressing as any funeral really, albeit with a tad more polish. It is, after all, good to be king.

Canada continues to grow it's infrastructure with major thanks to the continue influx of immigrants and refugees from its war-torn southern neighbors. (See Military Matters)

A Canadian Institute of Technology (CIT) has been build this year. Researchers from around North America have journeyed to the institute to offer some lessons, or gain some knowledge. Needless to say, many Canadian youth's are being given an education they probably could have only gotten in a school in the Sitka-Quito Cooperative. (++2 Canadian IP, +Canadian Science Tech)

The Confederacy of North America finds itself in the midst of an awful war. But even with that, the government hasn't shirked off it's civic duties. Families still have plenty of food, steady electricty, and in some regions of the nation, many people are asking 'What war?'. (+Confederate Happiness)

Black gold has been struck in Ecuador. After a few years of exploratory drilling, the Ecuadorian government finally has something to show for their efforts. This, of course, led to an industrial and economic boom, that helped with war reconstruction that much more. (++10 Ecuadorian IP, +1 Ecuadorian ASP)

The British Parliament has been hard at work passing a new doctrine stating that Communism is the enemy of British core values, among other things. While it has been the Empire's policy for a few years now, it's officially law.

The Eastern-Soviet has been trying to fix up its recently lagging economy this year. The Soviet government has begun handing out loans to businesses, especially those interested in helping it's railroad industry, and factories. These loans ended up helping factories appear almost out of nowhere in many farm communities, causing many to shift their primary source of income from agrarian means, to industrial ones. (+1 Far Eastern ASP, ++ Far Eastern IP)

Realizing Britain de-colonizing Ghana wasn't an awful idea, led to Germany to try to do much of the same thing with Togoland, albeit as a Dominion. (+Togo)

The Konservative Partei in Germany won the election in what many are calling a land slide. More seats have been gained in the Reichstag, and Heinrich Kauffman began his second term immediatley highlight the threat of Communism to German independence, among other things. This anti-Communist rhetoric is nothing new, but boy, the Germans are sure happy to see Kauffman back in office. (+German Happiness)

This year was a busy one in Gran Colombia (as always). First and foremost, Colombia showed the world that it wasn't just a second rate South American nation, but truly a world power. (see Event of the Year)

And with it's newfound technology, Colombian engineers immediatley began designing a 'Cardinal Points' Shipping Port. Revamping the Panama Canal for the first time in years, Colombia, and by extension, the entirety of the Sitka-Quito Cooperative have become the world's Central Reposity, and have begun taking care of most of the world's intercontintental trade. Ships simply drop their cargo off in Panama, and Cooperative rail-lines, or shipping takes it to wherever you want it to go. It's working rather well, actually, and the Colombians have seen immense returns from it. That, and of course the municipal works project they've started.(+1 Colombian EP, ++7 Colombian IP)

Prime Minister De Vries and Her Majesty the Empress have begun visiting Universities, and a few Scientific 'Events', in the hopes of attracting more Dutch citizens into the field of Science. A few have, and a few more are murmering that this is just another publicity stunt on behalf of De Vries who is already planning for the upcoming election. Another move, equally as publiscised, was Dutch diplomats making a tour of free-African nations, hoping to build some sort of decent relations with them. Notable exceptions to this however, was the Malagasy Republic, Ghana, the Republic of West Africa, and Togoland, recently given it's independence. The only one that felt a bit shafted by that, however was Ghana. The diplomatic trip was arguably a success, but the only major gains made in terms of any sort of long term friendships was with Ethiopia.

The Netherlands have begun to encourage the unemployed to get jobs, as it helps the nation's productivity. A few actually have. That of course begs the question why they were unemployed in the first place. (++1 Dutch IP)

Nigerians have been busy making their economy better, by mining more minerals, growing more crops and manufacturing more finished goods. Though only for Africa itself, mind you. This is of course part of a greater 'Five Year Plan', that has thus far reorganized farming communities and increased mining output by quite a bit. (+2 Nigerian EP, ++5 Nigerian IP)

The Norse Union found some oil in Norway. And it, of course reaped all the benefits that such a lucrative resource could bring in. (+1 Norse EP, ++5 Norse IP)

A lot of other reforms went on in the Norse Union this year too, such as raising Tariffs on Imports, higher income taxes on the wealthy, and declaring a limit on the amount of income a household could make each year. A healthcare system followed that, as many in the Norse Union began feeling as though the government was taking a Socliast view to the economy. A few others didn't really mind this 'pleasent change of step.'. (++3 Norse IP, -Norse Happiness)

France has begun to offer the possibility of independence to it's territories in the next year, so long as they calm down, and stop.. well, rebelling. Which quite well happened, though the involvement on France in the Great Maritime War has brough nationwide Student protests, and harsh condemnation from many higher-ups in the French government.

Cultural Matters

Colombian T.V. has gotten even more 'saucy', with shows such as “Café con aroma de mujer” and "Maracaibo". Millions of Californians, Mexicans, Colombians and Ecuadorians are tuning in each week to watch shows about adultery, and drama in general, in a manner never before seen on Television. All this steamy adultry has led to several questions in the minds of many Colombians. First, when will the lover Gaviota and Sebastion meet again, in "Café con aroma de mujer", and why is the President allowing this filth on T.V.?

If you live in the Dutch Empire, you're voting for Christofoor De Vries in the next election. You don't have much of a choice. At least, that's what all of his PSA announcements would lead you to believe. De Vries is continueing to ride on Dutch militarism, and anti-Communism, something it seems almost everyone else in L'entente is running on too.

Marijuana was legalized in the Norse Union. I think? I can't really remember.

Celebrations took place celebrating Scandinavian Culture and history. Nordic Union Nationalism grew to a relative high this year.

11. TheLizardKing

Military Matters

The Great Maritmes War continued for its 4th year, with renewed vigor. Early in the year, the CNA airforce commited itself to bombing Atlantic military production areas. The United States of the Atlantic managed to pull together a somewhat decent air defense, pulling Maritime planes from the south to help out. The real kicker came, however, when French squadrons began helping their new American allies, shooting down Confederate fighters and bombers without too much trouble. That's not to say some major factories weren't it.
    (-1 USA Fighter Squadron, -47 USA IP, -3 CNA Fighter Squadron, -1 CNA bomber squadron)

With the overwhelming aerial advantage, the Confederacy was hard pressed to risk a full out attack on Philadelphia, as initially planned, instead trading minor blows in the outskirts of the city. The Confederate attack however, instead shifted its focus to the Steel producing area of Western Pennsylvania, with several divisions of Confederate soldiers bursting past the Susquehanna, into Pittsburgh, striking at one of the key industrial centers in the USA. American air superiority prevented complete Confederate victory however, as the Confederate advance towards Lake Erie was eventually stalled. The American government was obviously frustrated at their loss of Pittsburgh. The real issue came with the American fighter commands hesitance to bomb its own industrial areas to hurt the Confederates.
    (-2 USA Divisions, -1 USA Militia Division, -1 USA Armored Division, -89 USA IP, --3 USA IP, -1 CNA Division, -1 CNA Armored, +20 Confederate IP)

A Confederate blockade of the Atlantic Coast was met with little resistance, save for the ocassional air raid. Some minor skirmishes occured outside of Boston, but for the most part, things seemed fairly quiet, with the American fleet no where to be seen.
    (-1 CNA Destroyer, -1 USA Destroyer)

The entirety of the American fleet, along with their Maritime allies, instead were amassing in the Atlantic, preparing a strike against the Confederate heartland. The fleet arrived off of the coast of the Carolinas early one morning, and came under heavy Confederate anti-ship fire, and attack from the Confederate Air force. Despite their best efforts, and thanks in large part to the Maritime Airforce, the Confederates were simply unable to prevent the American landing. Charleston fell in the initial attack, as did a large portion of the surrounding countryside. Several large militia groups did appear to lend a helping hand to the Confederate defenders, and eventually the American and allied forces settled down for the winter, with a light grasp on the Carolina coast.
    (+CNA Approval Rating, +10 CNA Militia Groups, -3 CNA Militia Groups, -1 CNA Division, -1 CNA Armored Division, -1 CNA EP, -1 French Armored Brigade, -1 USA Division, -1 USA Destroyer)

The war in the north against New England remained at a bloody stand-still, with American forces under General Andrew Taylor began to encircle any strong New English positions that remained. While a good plan in theory, guerilla strikes, and hit and run attacks made him unable to exert the full brunt of his army onto the New English positions. Despite their best efforts however, a bulk of what remained of New England was firmly under American and Maritime control.
    (-1 USA Division, -1 Maritime Division, -1 Maritime Armored Brigade, -2 New England Divisions, -1 New English EP, -3 New English Militia, -16 New English IP)

Some Nigerian shipping was attacked by an uknown force.. though, as soon as Nigerian ships went out to find who it was, the attacker quickly disappeared.
    (-12 Nigerian IP)

The Mongolian Revolution ended this year, with the rebels taking firm control of the nation, without too much of a fight.
    (+ People's Republic of Mongolia)

THE "PLACE AND TIME MAGAZINE" PERSON OF THE YEAR
    Spoiler :

He Might Not Always Fire Nuclear Missiles; But When He Does; He Does It In The South Caribbean.
    COLOMBIAN EL PRESIDENTE PEREZ
    -written by Leonard Nemoido

When one can take a backwards, 2nd world nation, such as Colombia, and turn it into a global super power, you can consider yourself a great leader. When one can do all of that, and be the one who gets his hands on Nuclear Weapons, you can consider yourself El Presidente Perez.

In his relatively short term in office, he has managed to do all of that, with flying colors. The infrastructure of Colombia is unrivalled, and the international influece of Colombia surely points to the fact that it's a great power. And it's all thanks to this guy.

Runner Ups
    2. Atlantic General John Vector Stopping the Stars and Bars from flying over Philadelphia is no small accomplishment.

THE "PLACE AND TIME MAGAZINE" EVENT OF THE YEAR

Spoiler :

The Explosion
    THE TEST OF THE FIRST NUCLEAR BOMB OFF THE COAST OF SOUTH AMERICA
    -written by Katja Purrey

The Belial 1 is a Medium Range Ballistic Missile, capable of being fired from Colombia's new Atomic submarines, and other land based missile platforms. In lamens terms, it means that at any point, Colombia, and its friends, are more then capable of knocking one of your cities off the face of the Earth. The first one of these bad boys was tested in an area in the South Caribbean, on a 'dummy' merchant navy.

The result was the complete destruction of some, and the appearance of a few radioactive vessels on the coasts of some South American nations and territories.

2. The French Intervention in the Great Maritimes War The French and Atlantic governments may be citing their actions as perfectly fine, and normal. A few hundred thousand French students feel otherwise.

3. The People's Republic of Mongolia For the second time in the last few years, another nation has fallen to Communism. Not that, that's anyones fault.

MAP

Spoiler :

@Seon- You never really specified what the CIT would be teaching, past Sciene and Engineering, both of which are a bit vague. If you wanted to chose a specific route, you'd get a boost in that tech instead.
    @BSmith- You saw a large IP boost this turn, but it will go down to probably 5 in the next 3-4 turns.
    @Gamez- You lost 1 ASP from that thing you attempted. I just banked the other 2. There isn't really anyway it would of/could have worked, at least considering the situation.

@All

As I'm sure you can tell, my interest in this NES has waned a bit. I'm aware many of you still want to play it and all, and that's superb. The issue comes with.. well, like I said, the fact I'm just not interested in continueing this. I have another idea for an NES I'd very much like to try out, or take another root all together.

The NES I would like to try out would in some ways be similar to this, and be completely different in other ways.

Spoiler LizNES6 :

Keep in mind, the map is still very unfinished.. a lot of straight lines need to be removed, along with all the various little colors.

It would take place in the future, after some horrible catastrophe. Society would slowly be rebuilding itself, while some giant nation states slowly begin to pull themselves back together. Technology would be roughly the same as what we have now, if not slightly more advanced. All nations would be on fairly equal footing from the start, and far more open for player interpretation then this NES. Their will be no set 'IC' and 'OOC' until after the first few turns. The white areas represent places where order hasn't been restored yet. In the first 2 or 3 turns, smaller nations will arise, and some will be crushed. Some may grow, and the map will very quickly fill itself out, largely based off of player actions.

The stats would look roughly like this..

Spoiler :

The Franco-Germanic Empire
    Military Junta: Berlin
    Happiness: 60%
    Policy: Military
    Economy: 2
    Industry: 100 (+1)
    Army: 10 Divisions, 2 Tank Brigades
    Navy: 1 Surface Group, 1 Submarine Group
    Airforce: 10 Squadrons
    Technology:

The New Confederacy
    Confederate Republic: New Orleans
    Happiness: 70%
    Policy: Economic
    Economy: 3
    Army: 5 Divisions, 1 Tank Brigades
    Airforce: 5 Squadrons
    Technology:

The Hellenistic Empire
    Constitutional Monarchy: Athens
    Happiness: 60%
    Policy: Industrial
    Industry: 100 (+5)
    Army: 5 Divisions, 1 Tank Brigades
    Airforce: 5 Squadrons
    Technology:

The Mesopatamian Free-State
    Federal Republic: Baghdad
    Happiness: 70%
    Policy: Military
    Army: 10 Divisions, 2 Tank Brigades
    Airforce: 10 Squadrons
    Technology:

I would personally be WAY more interested in this concept, and am rather upset I didn't think of this before posting LizNES5. I would be fine with working out some sort of deal, where I do like.. 3 more LizNES5 updates, or something, while I post this, unless everyone really wants to stick with LizNES5. In all fairness, so you all have warning, I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to force myself to update it like I just did, let alone do these stats.

I would be happy to hear any comments, or questions about this new idea?

12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Sorry to see this NES go on such a note. Was fun, at least initially.

13. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

Well, that's depressing.

14. TheLizardKing

It's not gone. I said I'd be happy to do a few more updates for you guys. But their would be a set end. As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to do my best to update this by next week again.

15. Lighthearter

Lighthearter President of the United States

Hm. Cool.

Ah well. I might or might not join LizNES6 - we'll see.

-L

16. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

To: France

You haven't heard the end of this. Hugs and kisses, you made a very bad enemy.

TLK, you already know I'd play that NES. <3

17. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

VIVA Joe Arroyo con Fruko!!!!

Thanks for this update... Isn't your new new sort of like LizNES4?

18. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

What year would the next NES be in :p?

19. Lighthearter

Lighthearter President of the United States

@LoE(OOC):

Aww! Hugs and kisses! That's . . . . eewwww. :twitch:

To: Dutch Empire

Do. Your. Worst. After all, you're just Belgians!

OOC: France braces for Dutch RAEG! :p

-L

20. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

They may just be Belgians, but they have Germany's support :p.