1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK163 - AWM, India

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Aug 5, 2020.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Stone cold fish

Tusker has long-since installed some multi-unit mods (@Steph's?)of the original Firaxis .flc files : in this case, the basic "Cavalry" unit.

Any CCM tribes which continue to use those file(name)s, will therefore show the multi-unit instead.

His screenshots for our Viking SG showed multi-unit Pikemen as well.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

I was pushing buildings pretty hard early in my set. Late set, I switched to mostly units to avoid getting overrun. We can definitely shift back towards buildings -- maybe aim for producing 10 units per turn?

2 for the British front
    2 for the Israelis
    2 for Hanoi
    2 for Bloemfontein
    1 each to help patrol near Casablanca and Iznik. Adventurers cost us a lot of units!

@Civinator, as @tjs282 observed, the triple Cavalry is from a multi-unit mod.

One other note: There are two active Settlers. They can both settle in place (but they'll need another 2 Sikh Rifles each for defense ASAP).

3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

tjs282 and Elephantium, thank you both very much for the answers about the multiple units unit. :)

Elephantium, you are challenging your laptop with 3x the normal number of unit animations to calculate - but than railing about white screens during the game. :lol:

Dwarven Zerker likes this.
  4. Elephantium

Nah. The triple unit (or in some cases, double) is still just one animation file for the unit. Also, I definitely noticed white-screening before installing multi-unit files.

OTOH, it wouldn't hurt to change them back.

5. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

It´s the same number of files in the multiple units units, but these files should cause more calculations for the laptop. On the other side, that this will cause the white screens was an attempt to do a joke.

6. Elephantium

Ah - tone is hard to measure on the forum. Oops! :crazyeye:

7. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

Elephantium, :thumbsup: Great Job in catching us up in Tech. We now know at least 3 techs the other civs do not. :goodjob: Also, we extended the rail net nicely. :hatsoff:

I got it :beer:

Next turn when we learn Motorization I am going to start studying Communism, and I will revolt to it after learning it. Then we can build barracks and the 5 year plan and as a bonus our spies will be veterans not regulars and get a 10% increase in chances to complete a mission. After Communism I will bee line to Tanks and hopeful steal the maritime techs.:D

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

The adventurers were definitely painful on my set at well (especially with regular units and hilly terrain).
    It it good to see us doing well in tech.

I think we have a hospital in Aydin? I was planning on having at least one high shield town already have one, but might have forgotten.

9. Elephantium

I would favor squeezing in a Hospital in one of our highest-commerce cities to maximize the benefit. Hillstreet Blues and Madras have the highest commerce ratings, by far (IIRC, 175/155 or so). Aydin is midrange by comparison.

10. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Likely got the town wrong then. In any case one (or more) of our top producers may have a hospital.

11. Elephantium

I just reopened the save to check. I set science to 70%, sorted the F1 screen by beaker count, and fired all geeks in the top cities.

Our top 5 science producers under these conditions are:
    Hillstreet Blues, 120 beakers (no Hospital, Courthouse, Police HQ, or Commercial Dock)
    Madras, 110 beakers (no Hospital or Police HQ)
    Squealing Pigs of Sky, 97 beakers (no Hospital, Courthouse, or Police HQ)
    Delhi, 97 beakers (no Hospital, nothing else matters)

The only city with a Hospital that I could find was Uskudar (next door to Aydin!), but I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

Two possible plans:
    1. Switch Madras off ToR. This is tough -- either waste 100+ shields building a Steamroller, or Wall Street as a prebuild for...Ford's Factory if we can steal Mass Production in under 7 turns. Then Hillstreet Blues builds ToR, Hospital, X-Ray Machine, Wall Street, Commercial Dock, and Courthouse. That will push us +6 commerce (+4 to research) and +150% -> +250% research, plus doubling research in the city. Starting at 120, our base beakers would be 48 (+4 gives us 52). Doubled, that's 104, * 3.5 = 364 (plus gains from Wall Street and the corruption reduction from the Courthouse)
    2. Keep Madras on ToR. Once it completes, build Hospital, X-Ray Machine, Wall Street. The same calculation gives us 44 base beakers, doubled to 88, boosted to 308 (again, plus the gains from Wall Street).

The Hillstreet Blues plan will take 13 turns vs. 12 for Madras (well, more like 14-15, taking into account the switch to Communism).

Thoughts? The risk here is that we lose one of the Wonder races while trying to arrange all this. Continuing as we are nets an early ToR in 4 but with a similar level of risk for losing X-Ray Machine.

12. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

2 free techs is by far the best choice. I vote to push hard to ToR

13. Elephantium

2 free techs?

14. LKendter

Oops, did I confuse wonders?

15. Elephantium

Oh, maybe. ToR = Theory of Relativity, gives a research boost. Arms Race gives 2 free techs, built early in my turnset :D

16. Jersey Joe

Here is another plan, Continue to build ToR in Madras and build X-ray in Hillstreet. These Wonders like most other percentage bonuses are applied to the Base amount and that includes the doubling of research. So all that is lost by splitting the Wonders between Madras and Hillstreet is less than the production of 3 scientists. I am going to continue building ToR in Madras and build X-Ray in Hillstreet.
    If Wonder building was spreadout like we normally get to do, we should have built all the research and commerce Wonders in Hillstreet which produces the most base beakers/gold per turn.

17. Elephantium

Any updates?

18. LKendter

LOL - I was debating asking the same question.

19. Jersey Joe

On the Science/ Wonder Front:

We had learned Communism, but I delayed revolting since we were racing the British and Inca's for X-Ray machine.

I am now going to be revolting into Communism.

Some news of the war from the front:

We then distances between cities lined up and the domino's fell.

My goal is to finish my turn set by the end of the weekend.

20. LKendter

2 dead civs - NICE!