LK163 - AWM, India

I'm hoping to finish the last turn today.

I won't finish until tomorrow. Tied up for the rest of the night.

Final turn teaser:

1948 AD (10)
The assault on Leeds begins. I kill 2 rifles. (202-65)
I gain $1,253 gold.
The spy in Canada sucks. They didn’t get caught, but once again failed to steal a map.
I bomb a Canadian ship to death. (203-65)
The assault of Tsingtao begins. I kill 2 pikes and something invisible. (206-65)
I gain $4.
I kill that Russian adventurer that stole our workers. (207-65)
I kill the British tank by Triest at the absurd price of 2 tanks. (208-67)
The assault of Cardiff begins. I kill 2 rifles and 2 infantry. I lost 1 armored car. (212-68)
I gain $1,932 gold.
With that money I once again try a map steal. I finally get lucky and improve our map.
I rescue the workers near Ipswich.

I clean up around Bloemfontein. I kill 2 lawyer, 1 artillery piece, 1 bucket and 3 infantry. I lost 2 tanks. (219-70)
I can’t believe our tank lost to a bucket.
Our adventurer finds a lawyer (SA?) in the mountains but it gets to retreat. :(
I gain a new artist. Cardiff gets a culture bomb.
I gain 2 more artists beyond that. They will go on standby.

I clean up around Tsingtao. I kill 3 crossbows. (222-70)
I gain a monk.
I kill 1 Greek crossbow. (223-70)
I rescue the workers near Triest. The adventurer that rescued them will probably die.

The big cleanup is around Cardiff.
I kill Canada: 2 hussar, 1 camel and 6 artillery pieces. I lost 3 hussars. (232-73)
I kill Egypt: 2 buckets. (234-73)
That was really bad luck with our elite units.
I am grateful to have a few camels left. The extra move in the desert let me kill 1 more unit.
I gained yet another artist.
Early Armored Car of Cardiff arrived. Guarulhos gets a rushed factory.

The infantry situation is so tight I’m doing a round of drafting to free up veteran infantry in our internal cities.

Border Pusher is founded.
The assault of Regina begins. I kill 3 muskets. 1 lost 1 armored car. (235-74)
Regina gets a culture bomb.
[End of session 4]
I’m going one bonus turn. I am next to Brazil’s capitol. I want to be able to fix a possible house boat issue before handing the game over.
(IT) I lost 1 adventurer and 1 infantry. (235-76)
I killed British: 1 adventurer and 1 horse. (237-76)
The AI assaulted Triest, but the extra troops paid off.
The next research project is subs at 60%. It is possible we get lucky and the AI researches dreadnoughts or flight for us to steal.
Rheims, Aydin, Hillstreet and Utica join the list of cities done with wonders.
I hope Rheims hits 1 turn tanks as it grows into more hills.
Newcastle is again hit with a propaganda campaign.
The British and Russian beat each other up again. Oxford fell to Russia. I expect Britain to lose the few cities they have in this section of the map.

Good to see that long time lingering annoyance gone. :thumbsup:

It appears that Asyut will be joining our empire soon. To bad there is not a straight shot to Egypt's capital. :sad:

EDIT:
Maybe you should fix any potential houseboat issue with Egypt.

Last edited:
1949 AD (11)
I draft another round of conscripts.

The assault on Goiania begins. I kill 2 pikes. (239-76)
I gained $252 and 5 workers. It looked like I killed at least 2 settlers.
Brazil has left the game. :dance:
I use up the monk to expand the borders some.

Worker actions are still very important. With a few new rails I got Edrine to 1 turn infantry.
The assault on Macao begins. I kill 2 pikes. (241-76)
I gained $3 and 1 worker.
The assault on Asyut begins. I kill 2 infantry and 1 pike. I lost 2 armored cars. (244-78)
I clean up around Tientsin. I kill 2 Greek crossbows. (246-78)
I clean up around Triest. I kill a British camel. (249-78)
I kill a British infantry.

The big cleanup is the new area.
I kill Canada: 3 hussars, 5 camels and 1 artillery piece. (268-78)

I clean up around Bloemfontein again. I kill SA: 1 early tank, and 6 infantry. I lost another tank. (275-79)
A good Early Tank arrived. I saved 12 turns on a factory in Jericho.
I got that stack down to 1 unit. Armor cars being able to target the bottom of the stack that was injured helped a lot.

Utica was frustrating. Despite rails in every hill, and planting 2 forests I couldn’t get to 130 not corrupted shields.

[End of session 5]

What I had planned as a "static" front while I concentrated on Britain.

The hornet's nest I stirred up by getting past Britain:

The top of the new lands to hit:

The bottom of the new lands:

Summary:
Please only build steamrollers / settlers in cities with excess population. The core cities are too small.

I got the majority of troop upgrades done. Keep an eye out for strays I may have missed.

Bloemfontein is an ugly spot. There are a lot of infantry walking to that city. The high attack units are being saved to mainly deal with this. There is a chance we bleed SA heavily.

Keep building up cash. There is a chance for one more steal. We don’t need more maps anytime soon. With the map knowledge from Canada there is enough to keep us busy for a lot of turns.

I expect more cities to get to pure troop mode during Greebley’s set. A lot of them are down to just 1 or 2 buildings to go.
Aydin needs worker actions. It may be able to get to 1 turn tanks. The troops really need to be pumped out.

Save the camel corps for fighting in the new area. There is a lot of desert and flood plains to deal with. The ability to retreat afterwards is very important.

International Telephone is locked being due in 1 turn. I will appreciate even more help with corruption.

I have stacks out ready to assault 1 Greek and 2 China cities.

I expect Greebley’s set to be mainly whittling down stacks in the new area. I don’t recall fighting any significant troops from Russia, Canada or Spain.

To win: 30% area and 32% population. There are a lot of cities waiting on border expansion #1. I expect this game to go the deepest we have gone in the tech tree.

The save:

ROSTER:
LKendter
Greebley (up)
Elephantium (on deck)
Jersey Joe

Attachments

• LK163-1949AD.SAV
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Preturn: Have some troops fortified so line up an attack on Bapedi. It may draw the Infantry out of the hilly terrain (Bloemfontein mentioned by Lee) so we can fight South Africat on flat terrain instead. Taking a town will sometimes lead to the AI prioritizing taking it back.
Minor MM

1950 AD:
Capture Bapedi from South Africa.
Capture Halicarnassus from Greece.
Capture Beijing from China losing 1 Armored Car, and Chengdu losing 2.
Build a city and capture Edinburgh because I want the 2810 Gold.
Build a Mountain road in Brittish Territory right next to Birmingham. That will allow me to attack the city next turn. Also line up against Glasgow.
Capture Kimberly from South Africa with some loses (it was close enough to bapedi)
Capture Tatung from and Shanghai from China after using an offensive Settler.
Continuing against China another settler gets us to Anyang and China is Eliminated.
For Russia, I killed a few fast troops, but mostly was waiting for them to get closer.
Got 1 artist and used 2.

LK163_AD1950.png

IBT: Our Adventurer wall is broken by a Partisan.

1951 AD:
12 units is almost not enough to take out 4 defenders Birmingham. We lose 4 unit with some retreats.
For Glasgow I sent the Heavy Artillery which take out the 3 defenders and we capture that as well
We can reach size 26 Liverpool and capture it losing 3 Armored Car.
Attack London with 6 defenders, we get 5 losses and 7 retreats before it falls.
Manchester kills 4 before it falls.
Also capture size 2 Carlisle.
Got a leader and rushed a Factory.

LK163_AD1951.png

IBT: Attacks from South Africa on our town. We lose one infantry vs infantry battle and win the other two. Adventurer attacks lone conscript in a city. Need to find it and defend it better.

1952 AD: Last turn I spotted the Austrian capitol. It is within attack range and falls.

LK163_AD1952.png

Britain:
We attack Cambridge and get 3147 gold. I realize I didn't try the steal last turn. Try a careful steal and we get dreadnoughts. Still have a decent amount of gold so I also safely steal Britains world map. This shows us all lands west of the mountain range. We have 12K left.

Use a combat settler to reach brittish Athens. Capture it with 3 losses gaining 32xx gold.

Capture Thermoplae with 4 losses. Get a Leader to rush a factory and a great artist killing an injured Dragoon. Use Artist in Thermoplae to get to the last Greek core town in the area. 33xx gold

Capture Corinth losing 4. The Armored cars really have troubles with these cities.

Lose our flame thrower to a infantry on flat. So much for attack 16

Leister has 2 Rifles guarding it, but I lose 4 3-hp Armored cars despite the first red-lining them both with the first attack.

For Greece, I line up an attack over the mountains for next turn (Artemisium)

IBT: Mostly minor attacks, however I missed the location of two adventurers - we are lucky we didn't lose a town.

1953 AD:
Decide to continue vs Britain.
Lose two Armored Car taking out York.
Thesselonica is in hills and also tough, so I use tanks (lose 1).
Plymouth has 2 defenders again in hills and we lose another tank. It was size 1 and auto-destructs.

Argos is a real pain to deal with. Has a machine gunner, so I need to build a town right next to the city as we don't have enough fast units. Tank can't kill gunner when it goes to 1 hp, so it goes to 2 hp and costs more units to take out.

Britain is now down to a single town in Russian lands.

Against Greece:
For Artemisium our Infantry easily kill the Pikes guarding it.
We can also reach the Greek Capital of Hereklea Two tanks I missed before kill off the two Pikes.
Armored cars are able to take out Delphi as well.

Notes:
I concentrated on military conquest. It made the turns very long so I only played 4 (I also had problems with headaches that limited my play time. It is turn 340 (1953))

West of the mountains only Russia, Korea, and Canada are still big. I only fought a few Russian troops that came close, they have been milling about due to the war with Britain. The only Brittish city left is in their territory so I am not sure which way they will go.

Canada has been also sending units. I used many infantry to kill off their def 4 and 5 units. We ran short so I took some town garrisons. You will want to redistribute them next turn.

Wandering adventurers are an issue. Be careful near the mountain range near nubia and atzecs land. I have been killing after they enter our lands, but they are easy to miss.

Image of Russia and the Last of England. Note that I am building sout to reach the last Egyptian city.
LK163_AD1953.png

Attachments

• LK163-1953AD.SAV
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
I've got it. I'm excited to get Flight (real BOMBERS)!

Main plan: Push Russia to get at Egypt's last stand.
Stretch goal: Reopen the Mexican front.

How are we doing on Steamrollers? It looks like we only have a handful of cities above size 21, and they all look busy with other priorities.

Edit: Looks like Greece and S Africa have to go, too.

Last edited:
Very well done. :thumbsup:
I am surprised the British did not know anything about the lands to our east except for a few capitals.

I wonder if the reason we are seeing so many adventurers from other countries is that we control a large percentage of the available strategic resources. Maybe they can only build adventures.

I think one of the reasons we are seeing so many adventurers is they are the only unit that can reach us from the Aztecs, Nubia, Germany and more.

I'm in no rush to deal with the Aztecs. I would like to find who is north of former China.
I still want the big push to be into Russia / Canada.

ROSTER:
LKendter
Greebley
Elephantium (up, and got it)
Jersey Joe (on deck)

Last edited:
I agree we should take out Russia and Canada (and Brazil,) followed by Spain and secure the south.

Sailing north up the western coast the only 2 civs we encounter are Korean and Greece. Then sailing east we reach S. Africa followed by Mexico.

I will most likely need a skip. I am in the process of moving and in 2 days will not have access to my civ3 computer until sometime after February 19.

Russia may be a good target if they approach us. However, if they choose to go more after the last British city, It may be cleaner to go for Korea next (and clean up Greece). That would give us the shortest front and free up some troops in the north west.

Note for South Africa, I was only killing those Infantry when they leave the hills to reduce losses. I think we can let them attack into our city as that gives pretty good odds. We just need more defenders than potential attackers.

Edit: One other thing. I was building zeppelins to ding ships so they head home to heal. It will stop the bombardment. Nubian ships was my next priority on where to send Zeps. Also bombing units like the machine gunner wandering around on the map near old Britain. Bombers will be even better of course.

Top Bottom