1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK163 - AWM, India

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I just finished 5 turns so will turn over soon since I had the game for a while.

Civinator,
    Magreb built Casblanca and not Casablanca. I think the city is misspelled.

2. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Preturn: Switch to Engineering. . I covered an exposed Horse Archer with 2 Pike and an Archer.

IBT: Hold off two attacks on our units including Pike.
    Town settled right near us:
    LK163_AD1740.png

1740 AD: Advance on new town. Kill Random units nearby.

IBT: Lost a Pike and a Knight.

1745 AD: Destroy newly formed city. Lose Knight to a Pike.

IBT: Lost 2 units at the front. East India is built. Also Neuschwanstein by Germany if we can take it.
    Spot a new colored ship which is not so good.

1750 AD: Meet and declare war on Spain. We now have 8 Enemies.
    Lose a few troops to counters. Spot next Brazil/Portugal town. Pushed toward Forteleza.

Ugh, I obviously forgot to save after some play - we are no longer at war with Spain on the next turn.. Will play this turn a second time and try to do the same things.

Also sent some troops toward Casablanca.

IBT: Lose units near Forteleza. We may want to let our defensive units catch up.

1755 AD: Forteleza is Captured. Kill some nearby units.
    Got a leader and rushed Castle for healing units.

We got Engineering. Crossing rivers will really help our mobility. Switched many towns to Windmills. Some did a turn of pre-build. Clockworks in 4.

IBT: I made a mistake with our ships, I wanted to bombard enemy but they have +1 movement and attack us. We lose 3 but at least injure all enemies so they will hopefully head home.

Will stop here at 5 turns.

Notes:
    Roading:
    The first image shows the approximate completion of the roading Lee started. I was thinking expanding westward first since there is likely less land to the west.
    LK163_AD1760a.png

However, I also thought I would go north to lessen the enemies above us. I sent a few units toward casblanca and the image shows some units to road northward starting with Casblanca.

<Replaced - see image 4 or so posts below>

Here is the current front:
    LK163_AD1760c.png

Also on the last few turns I realized the warrior is a danger since we have not seen units coming from the East, so I think it should head toward Casblanca (or even be disbanded).

I don't think we contacted the black border we can see. I think it is Nubia from previous games. Note that the large mountain range is helpful. Only warriors and such can to our eastmost core cities.
    LK163_AD1760d.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  3. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Operation road network slowly moves by Hierakonpolis. Elephantium can continue that work.

I agree with Greebley that we need a second road crew by Avignon. We can’t move very far until that is in place.

Our next settler can go north of Aydin. There is enough open grassland in that area for at least a couple decent cities.

We badly need more workers. To many are tied up with roadbuilding toward the fronts.

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Greebley
    Elephantium (up)
    Jersey Joe (on deck)

4. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

What I worry about is letting the AI's get too strong and all coming at us at once. This would be how we lose if we do lose. For this reason we want push into their lands and disrupt their core as fast as feasible. Note it will also slow the AI tech rate if we push forward. Less AI leading in tech.

Thus, I feel we need the road toward the fronts even though it slows us somewhat on home development. Our key towns are built up in terms of shields - only town clocks in 3 turns will get us faster. Keep building Knights and push forward while we can.

We do have some workers irrigating the core as it gets us more scientists. The stack to the East (picture 2) is actually very large - we may be able to send some to improvements maybe in Frances core. 2 stacks of 1 turn roads (currently 9 foreign workers for 1 turn roads) the rest for improvements.

Once we meet the AI roads - connect to Magreb for example, we can send more toward improvements.

5. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

I've got it.

6. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Giving it some more thought and your comment, I think we should follow the blue arrow below. 2 road crew will hit the Magreb network in only 2-3 turns and we can keep just one near the front once we do, the rest can be for improvements.

LK163_AD1760b.png

7. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

It is not a misspelling, the Magreb have both a city named Casablanca and a city named Casblanca. They are just not very imaginative when it comes to picking city names. ;) :mischief:

8. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Greebley and Jersey Joe, you are both correct. :D:thumbsup:

There exists a city Casablanca (with the correct spelling) for that civ in the city list and Casblanca is a typo done by me (and not by Firaxis !). I know about this very minor error since a longer time. The city name Casblanca must be removed from the list of city names for that civ. On the other side the CCM pre-betatesting showed, that deleting listed city names can cause some very strange effects, especially when blanc lines are not removed. So I have not removed that cityname yet. May be, when a new CCM2 biq will be created, that city name will be deleted from the list.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  9. LKendter

Heard from everyone except for the next player. ;-)

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Greebley
    Elephantium (up)
    Jersey Joe (on deck)

10. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Lurker:

He posted I got it on #145.

11. LKendter

Whoops, got buried between Greebley's post.

12. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Civinator,
    Would it be easier to find another "historic" Magreb name to replace Casblanca rather than deleting it? That would keep the city order the same and isn't likely to mess up with existing games. There are likely smaller town names to use from the region; for example, I was wondering if tlemcen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlemcen was in use - it didn't look familiar. I am sure there are many others possible as well.

13. Civinator

Greebley, this was exactly what I did to fix that error. :) Casblanca now is overwritten with Tripoli (and another town was added, too).

14. Elephantium

Partial log:

Pre-turn: Look around. I manage a few small efficiencies, like getting the Windmill in Edrine due in 3 instead of 4

White screen right away during gray's (Austria-Hungary) moves near Besancon :(

Maghreb complete Great Playhouse.
    Egypt cascades to Taj Mahal and completes that.
    T1:

Besancon looks OK, so the IBT couldn't have been TOO bad.

Sao Luiz:
    Knight of the Realm > Late Pike
    Knight > Tupi Spear
    Knight > Xbow
    Brahmin > redlined Spear

Camel Rider > stray Xbow
    WE > XB near Hieraconpolis
    Knight > XB, same tile

Defence of Besancon: Knight retreats from MDI x2
    Knight > MDI
    Enslaver gets bloodthirsty and kills XB
    WE > Treb
    Knight > LB

Near Avingon, Knight rides down MDI

Past Fortaleza, I sacrifice a Knight to reveal our next target.

IBT:

We lose a WE near Casblanca

Mongols complete Storm of the Steppes. Watch out!

T2:
    Near Avignon
    Knight > Almohad XB

Casblanca: Knight of the Realm retreats
    Knight > Late Pike
    WE > XB
    Casblanca is ours.

Near Besancon, Enslaver captures Longbow

IBT:

MDI kills Knight near Porto Alegro
    Camel dies to WE in Casblanca

T3:

At Casblanca,
    Knight > Almohad XB

At Avignon, Knight > Almohad XB
    Knight > Musketman
    Near El-Amarna, Arque kills XB
    Near Besancon, Knight > MDI

And then something happened. The game gets really sluggish and unresponsive. I click on the minimap, it seems like nothing happens. Click on the menu or hit F1, 10-15 seconds before the view updates.

Is anyone else seeing that with this save?

Attached Files:

15. LKendter

The save I see is the end of 1775 AD. Is that where you have the issue, or during the next turn?
    1775 AD seems sluggish, but I need to reboot my PC. Everything running slow right now, and tied up for the next few hours.

16. Civinator

Elephantium, when the save file was loaded some seconds did pass, when only the music could be heard, but after those seconds the turn 1775 AD was played normally by the AI. I didn´t click additional buttons or the minimap.

17. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

I tired Elephantium's saved game and have the same issues as he does. :sad: Maybe even worse. :cringe: I could not turn on the map grid (crtl-C), I could not navigate the map by clinking on spots on the mini-map, nor could I move around the map with the mouse. Also there was a long lag getting the drop down menu to quit the game.

I do not play CCM as a scenario. Back when beta testing started, I replaced the BTS biq and folders with the CCM folders and have been playing that way since.

18. LKendter

After a reboot it seemed better. I let the game sit for about a minute before trying to do anything. Hopefully it clears up after clicking to the next turn.

19. Elephantium

I'm finding it unplayably slow before hitting end-turn.

I wanted to move more military units before ending the turn, but I suppose I could just end it and see how it looks after the IBT. Wish me luck...

20. LKendter

Good luck. I have no idea what to do to fix it. I've never seen this one before while just sitting there.