LS Civilization Set

I have a question. I understand why there is a city state replacement for Tyre, seeing as how it's the capital of Phoenicia but why isn't there also a replacement for Sidon?

How do you take a screenshot? I need to do that for one of my games.

Nevermind, found out.

I have a question. I understand why there is a city state replacement for Tyre, seeing as how it's the capital of Phoenicia but why isn't there also a replacement for Sidon?

My confusion deepens after I discover that Sidon is on at least two city lists............

As with anything, if a city is on multiple city lists, it simply goes to whoever founds it first and the next person with that name will just skip it. If it's something like, say, the Kingdom of Jerusalem and Israel, if Israel goes first they get Jerusalem as the capital, and when Jerusalem itself settles, Tyre is their capital, as confusing as that might end up. (hey, Israel is a religious civ and Jerusalem's whole thing is conquering holy cities, so...clear up that confusion forcefully!)

Since Sidon isn't actually the capital of anyone and there's no way you can settle two cities before turn 1, if Sidon the city-state is on the map, it gets founded fine and anyone with Sidon on their list just skips it - if Sidon is not on the map, whoever founds that first will get it. If, somehow, bafflingly, someone else's Sidon is founded before Sidon the city-state, the CS will just pick a random city name from the game a la the Huns.

The code for it is wonderful in how handwavey it is in this regard.

Considering that Sidon was very important Phoenician city it would be strange to have both Tyre-led Phoenicia and independent Sidon.

Well yes, but Phoenicia was never a unified state, just a series of culturally linked independent polities. Tyre never ruled over any of the others, they simply coexisted, and they're put here in the same civ city list because...there's really no better way to handle ancient civilizations that tended towards such systems.

Hmm, I wonder if LS is planning to round this off with 10 sets or if there's too many or not enough ideas for that. I'm weird and care about round numbers in that sense.

LS, how exactly Timurid 'sabotage' works? ;)
Greetings, time traveller. Sabotage is no more, just like the Jedi order.
It was disabling the mouse against the human player and destroying defensive buildings against the AI.

I think Gyra had written everything I would about the Sidon.

0 is very round number. :) Since I feel lucky today.
I am currently during annual "brainstorming" and I may share it with you:
~Sioux will be rebalanced, unfortunately there were no space left for "Claiming first neutral tile". Since I like this ability, I will probably add it somewhere else.
~Scotland's UA will now be less passive; UI will give Happiness only when worked
~City-States will be unable to declare war against Hittites. "Free passage bonus" will be removed or hide.
~All Tahitian cities will have bonus for being undiscovered.
~Qin's Regular Infantry will have no tech requirement.
~Tibetan UA will "ignore" unhappiness from Public Opinion and be able to set national religion (once found religion or when all religions are found). It will give some bonuses towards this religion.

Currently brainstorming Bulgarian UA.

By the thing with Tahiti, do you mean the entire civ has to be undiscovered for the cities to get those bonuses, or do you mean like, non-coastal cities have that applied to them (since I presume currently that only works for coastal cities...not like you should found anything else as Tahiti)

That every single city will have this bonuses as long as remain undiscovered.
Currently only cities who were first founded on certain continent could recieve this bonus.

~Tibetan UA will ... be able to set national religion (once found religion or when all religions are found).

Just so you know, if you get this working, I'm going to steal it for my Social Policy mod :)

Ohhhhh, the first continent thing, I see. So if I have one city on an island in the middle of the ocean, it will get those tasty 25% bonuses even if other cities of mine have been discovered. Yum.

I do really like how Tahiti does Polynesia better than Polynesia itself does. You have active incentive to settle all the otherwise crummy little one-tile islands and turn them into surprisingly competent cities. Plus you can rack up the culture like crazy early-game...though there are risks, of course, if you don't get to it fast enough it's pretty much certain all of those islands will be occupied by barbarians.

Just so you know, if you get this working, I'm going to steal it for my Social Policy mod :)
Hah, I always wanted such thing in Piety tree.
However, you are aware that it will be just multiple button UI and saving this information. Some script for AI to not make their choose completely random. I don't even consider it being able to change once chosen. Considering my Interface modding skills, you would make it smoother. Anyway "steal" is too harsh word.

Ohhhhh, the first continent thing, I see. So if I have one city on an island in the middle of the ocean, it will get those tasty 25% bonuses even if other cities of mine have been discovered. Yum.

I do really like how Tahiti does Polynesia better than Polynesia itself does. You have active incentive to settle all the otherwise crummy little one-tile islands and turn them into surprisingly competent cities. Plus you can rack up the culture like crazy early-game...though there are risks, of course, if you don't get to it fast enough it's pretty much certain all of those islands will be occupied by barbarians.
Exactly, I was thinking about how I would make Polynesia and boom... Tahitians. Vikings were born, because I don't like Denmark.

Hah, I always wanted such thing in Piety tree.
However, you are aware that it will be just multiple button UI and saving this information. Some script for AI to not make their choose completely random. I don't even consider it being able to change once chosen. Considering my Interface modding skills, you would make it smoother. Anyway "steal" is too harsh word.

Of course, by "steal" I mean borrow and then confer many praises. It's mostly the script for the AI that I have no clue how to do. Being unable to change is no problem. State religions rarely change, so its pretty appropriate.

So I know at least two of the civs in the mysterious 8th set of mystery, unless you meant to type Nepal when you put in Tibet.

I dunno, I personally think Denmark is pretty much the Vikings given the more nation-like name. They're pretty good at moving fast and pillaging like crazy, which is...kinda what Vikings did. Though the ski infantry should be replaced by something more periodic.

I recommend you using JFD's Norway, it makes Denmark bearable. I have never bought Denmark, because of Norwegian Ski Infantry... Each time DLC was 75% off, I was looking on this unit and nooo way. Of course, it was before I started modding.

Everyone knows how to delete Vikings if needed. ;)

Third civ is Romania, link to set VIII beta was posted (look several pages back, I am quite sure it was 2014). I may disappoint you, because the only connection to terror of Vlad is the leader. I decided to not go with impaling, fear, unhappiness and so on.

@Edit
Page 8. That Berserker ability to fight until one of units is dead...

Apparently that beta file is no longer on sendspace, maybe it timed out or something?

These look solid from descriptions, if a little less than exciting. The Viking one is kind of neat in how it functions in only one era, that's kind of a unique part. The one with the functional two consistent cs allies is neat in a way - I think a cool addition would be an ability to gift those allies settlers so they can expand their own territory. A bit situational and unreliable, but it could be useful to put a territorial shield around your lands without paying the costs of another city. Tibet I don't know what to think of, I'd have to play as them to get a grasp on it.

Well yes, but Phoenicia was never a unified state, just a series of culturally linked independent polities. Tyre never ruled over any of the others, they simply coexisted, and they're put here in the same civ city list because...there's really no better way to handle ancient civilizations that tended towards such systems.

Hmm, I wonder if LS is planning to round this off with 10 sets or if there's too many or not enough ideas for that. I'm weird and care about round numbers in that sense.

I know what you mean, I'm trying to have 60 civs at the moment because it's a nice, round even number.

Apparently that beta file is no longer on sendspace, maybe it timed out or something?
Probably.

These look solid from descriptions, if a little less than exciting. The Viking one is kind of neat in how it functions in only one era, that's kind of a unique part. The one with the functional two consistent cs allies is neat in a way - I think a cool addition would be an ability to gift those allies settlers so they can expand their own territory. A bit situational and unreliable, but it could be useful to put a territorial shield around your lands without paying the costs of another city. Tibet I don't know what to think of, I'd have to play as them to get a grasp on it.
Yay, because disabling city attack is the normal part. The Vikings will be completely remade and are the reason I finished set IX before it. Changes to Tibet were described. At first I thought that adding settlers would be brilliant idea, but it would be rather penalty than bonus. Though the Idea to buff those City-States is good.

Top Bottom