LS Civilization Set

Ha! It is literally from place (background image). Anyway, I haven't put a lot work in leader itself yet. I will change it.

After reading Blackfoot's history, Haida remains my favourite american tribe. Their story doesn't make me sad :p. Anyway, HoopThrower, thanks for ideas, I will probably modify them for my personal taste/experience (I have already made "stealing" resource ability and I didn't like how it works in game). I will go with warfare bonus for Mapuche (yay, according to wiki Huilliche are the group of Mapuche and I am faaar out of comfort zone to make Mapuche split, I would actually prefer a civ representing whole territory south from Inca). Has anyone made "units may steal promotion from defeated enemies"? Basically I want the UA ("Malón"?) to give various bonuses from killing enemies (instead standard city-conquer Mapuche will benefit from anihilating enemy troops).

You're welcome. Always glad to be of help. :)

Malón is Raiding, it'd be more fitting for a cattle stealing UA or something, or something related to pillaging, Pruloncon is the "Dance of Death", could be somewhat fitting to your UA ability.

I'd also suggest "Kollellaullin" which is the name of the Mapuche Martial art developed during the Arauco Wars, could serve well as a "stealing promotions from fallen enemies ability, UA which, by the way, feels very interesting and thematic to me. ;)

You seem to have an aversion to announcing your own things on here!

Set XV (where's XIV...?) looks intriguing! Some weird abilities here...not sure I get a lot of them. Especially Kongo - so basically the UA means territory you explore but currently aren't in...remains in the FoW? That's a really weird disadvantage. And the bank...is it that you receive more gold from an incoming trade route if there aren't any others coming in, or something else? Odd civ there.

Yay, more awesome new civs. Thanks LastSword!

Knew I was forgetting something.

So, um, sorry about that.

By the way, what happened with Tamar of Georgia?

You seem to have an aversion to announcing your own things on here!

Set XV (where's XIV...?) looks intriguing! Some weird abilities here...not sure I get a lot of them. Especially Kongo - so basically the UA means territory you explore but currently aren't in...remains in the FoW? That's a really weird disadvantage. And the bank...is it that you receive more gold from an incoming trade route if there aren't any others coming in, or something else? Odd civ there.
The second part of UA is disadvantage, the first one is just because of flavour and my need of making Cover of Darkness (if you played HoMM). It looks good in game, but has nearly no gameplay impact (I didn't bother coding this part for AI, it works only on Human player).

What is odd.
Bank provides 1 Gold for Trade Route Recipient (owner of city with bank) and 1 Gold for TradeRouteTarget (owner of Trade Route sent to the city with bank).

Here, the bonus table:
(International) Trade Routes Sent to the City|TradeRouteTargetBonus|TradeRouteRecipient
0|4|1
1|4|1
2|2|1
3+|1|1
It is a trap for greedy european colonial empires, represents Portugese/Dutch war for control over region.

First part is about your Trade Routes (if you can have 4 Trade Routes, but have active only 2 Trade Routes active, all Banks provide +2 Gold).

Odd is my unability to phrase in english. :)

15, because Sumer's files all have 14 in tag.

Yay, more awesome new civs. Thanks LastSword!
Yay, thanks I guess.

Knew I was forgetting something.

So, um, sorry about that.
:| That kind of betrayal, never trust people on the internet.

By the way, what happened with Tamar of Georgia?
Never comfirmed? Chanceless once I reminded myself about Kongo's ability.

Anyway, seems that my great sense of balance is questioned once more, people always took the civ I think is the weakest from set and call it OP. In case somebody play Mapuche, might report back how useful the abilities were. Personally I believe you will have a hard time (of course depends on difficulty you playing).

Wait, where are sets 14 & 15? I don't see them anywhere in the OP.

I love the Niitsitapi Tribes' UA! It is a great incentive for exploration, and 100% balanced.

And I want to note how much of an arse Togay Bey is. In my current game he has almost left me as an enclave in his ridiculously large empire. I feel a need to play as him once.

Wait, where are sets 14 & 15? I don't see them anywhere in the OP.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404980663
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=379434649

I think Sumer is overpowered. Being able to almost guarantee any early wonder you like, even on deity, is really crazy.

Honestly, Mapuche too. The promotion part's fine, but getting a tech or a strategic resource to magically appear is a bit too good.

Mapuche overpowered? Nah. You've gotta be behind in the technological tree and defeat an enemy unit while so for it to be effective, if anything, Assiria's effect is much more powerful.

Okay, I think the description for the Mapuche is poorly worded. If you're correct, and he's getting a prerequisite tech from the unit, rather than just any tech, that's fine. But if you're wrong, I think it's OP.

I think Sumer is overpowered. Being able to almost guarantee any early wonder you like, even on deity, is really crazy.

That's still gonna give you most of the wonders. Even more so than Egypt.

Honestly, Mapuche too. The promotion part's fine, but getting a tech or a strategic resource to magically appear is a bit too good.

Does it say that the tech has to belong to the enemy?

Okay, I think the description for the Mapuche is poorly worded. If you're correct, and he's getting a prerequisite tech from the unit, rather than just any tech, that's fine. But if you're wrong, I think it's OP.
I would probably write "discover new tech" instead "adopt tech" in this case. Anyway that's why I include additional notes with details. :p
I actually like how this ability represents Mapuche-Spaniard conflict. Mapuche have learned fighting in formation (promotions), gain horses (resources) and adopt firearms (technology).

In case of Sumer, you can read comments on Steam. I have excepted people's reaction and politely asked those demigods of theorycrafting to present their arguments.

Any early wonder? Try grabbing Great Library. The point is I am completely fine for a player to grab an early wonder (let's say Temple of Artemis) on Deity and see him suffer from wasting so much Production early on.
Have you considered the fact that if you start Wonder first, you have already quite a nice chances to build it? (in addition some of rivals may waste their production on it)
The problem is that on lower levels you can grab most Wonders with any civ so how to determine if it is bonus at all.
Let's say you discovered a tech first and boom, you start building a Petra in your second city (and you build it for the next 60 turns). I am ok with that, because the Ability is supposed to do something. And the point is you have still waste all this production on it.
This ability prevents rivals from using Great Engineer to steal your wonder. Yes, because the Ability is supposed to do something.
This ability allows you build some wonders you wouldn't be normally able to do. Yes, this is a next point of this ability. Rewarding your tech lead even on higher levels like Immortal and Deity.
In conclusion, Egypt allows you to win some Wonder Races when enemy started building Wonder first and it saves you turns while constructing. Is Egypt a weaker civ? Of course it is, I find Egypt among the weakest civs.
Is Sumer at least high-tier? Yes, after buff to Monument adding this one little Science. I am fine with that, I have made a great variety of civs, the stronger ones and more... well, fun one. I rarely go with Food/Science bonuses, but avoiding them completely is not a way to go.

Anyway, you believe it is overpowered. You might be right. I can theorycraft back, but I would probably have to play several games to be sure. I don't have neither time nor will to do it though.

I love the Niitsitapi Tribes' UA! It is a great incentive for exploration, and 100% balanced.

And I want to note how much of an arse Togay Bey is. In my current game he has almost left me as an enclave in his ridiculously large empire. I feel a need to play as him once.
I hope it is not a sarcasm (this 100% is suspicious). Anyway, preventing rival settlement was quite an old idea floating around and I am glad I managed to include it somewhere. I think I wanted once to make some kind of pillar building that prevents rival from settling in 5 range (instead of normal 3), but Niitsitapi variation is great as well (gives player a lot of options).

Ahh, Togay Bey the last one to grab my Capital (unfortunately for him I had Hetman and quite an army invading somebody else). It is fine civ.

My main problem is that the trait doesn't really fit Sumer. Would've been better for an Egypt, or Babylon.
I beg to differ. I am afraid you are too absorbed by the "Wonder" word, while the main theme of ability (and whole civ) is "Before the others"/"Being the First". You basically gain reward for starting constructing Wonder first, or researching tech not discovered by anyone else.
Isn't a first great work of literature or music a wonder itself? Wasn't it the time of wonders for humankind, when they built the very first Ziggurats, formed political estates , rose military powers and many more. In the trait name, I replaced the word civilization with wonder. It is metaphor, comparing the achievements of human (the civilization) to something wonderful. Of course, you can don't feel it that way.

While I'm here may I suggest Peace and War themes for Janequeo?
:| Are you playing with me? You probably know I don't like searching youtube for music and now, after I released the civ, you are sending those. Aww... :)
I am gonna consider it in next update if you like it.

I hope it is not a sarcasm (this 100% is suspicious). Anyway, preventing rival settlement was quite an old idea floating around and I am glad I managed to include it somewhere. I think I wanted once to make some kind of pillar building that prevents rival from settling in 5 range (instead of normal 3), but Niitsitapi variation is great as well (gives player a lot of options).

I wasn't being sarcastic at all, I love it. :)

LastSword said:
I beg to differ. I am afraid you are too absorbed by the "Wonder" word, while the main theme of ability (and whole civ) is "Before the others"/"Being the First". You basically gain reward for starting constructing Wonder first, or researching tech not discovered by anyone else.
Isn't a first great work of literature or music a wonder itself? Wasn't it the time of wonders for humankind, when they built the very first Ziggurats, formed political estates , rose military powers and many more. In the trait name, I replaced the word civilization with wonder. It is metaphor, comparing the achievements of human (the civilization) to something wonderful. Of course, you can don't feel it that way.

I understand you have a different view on this topic, but one of my criterias for designing civs around Wonders is that they have to have made at least one of the Wonders that are in-game. Hence why I said it doesn't fit Sumer, since there are no Sumerian wonders in the game. I agree that the Sumerians did many amazing things, but they didn't make any of the wonders in the game.

But that can be fixed by adding one or more Sumerian wonders to the game.

Well, I had those saved up for the ocassion since a while but, err, yeah I truly forgot about the mod thingy.

So, um... bug report. Was playing Mapuche against the Confederates and I never managed to steal any of the unique promotions the units from that civ have.

In "Civ5UnitPromotions.xml" there is a table "UnitPromotions_UnitCombats". You can steal only promotions mentioned in this table and only if your unit has valid UnitCombatType (melee/mounted/archer).
It is not possible for Archer to learn Drill or Anti-Mounted promotion from Spearman.

What is more, some (many) of my and other mods use promotions that shouldn't be "stolen", because it may result in fatal interactions.

I assume that promotions from Confederates wouldn't cause a problem, but there is nothing I can do. I think using "UnitPromotions_UnitCombats" was the safest/best solution.

Top Bottom