1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Māori Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 4, 2018.

1. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Okay time for me to sleep, please don't find any game shattering detail that we missed while I am gone

2. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Well, that ability isn't new to Civ - as soon as you have your first ship it can sail through your city centre. It's just seeing a nicely carved out channel is unimmersive.

So the Maori will never have environmentalist as their secret agenda then one hopes!

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  3. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I think this could be fixed by making the city canal a building that you have to construct, like the monument or granary. It could be placed at an appropriate point in the tech tree.

4. DeepKing

DeepKing Warlord

It seems far more likely that they cant harvest wheat, rice, stone, copper, fish, crabs, and deer (I might be missing one), but can chop woods and jungle tiles.

5. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 King

Wow, I hope these OP abilities (which are very welcome!) portend an overhaul of existing Civs' abilities, some of which are lackluster.

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I like this one - I see it (along with the extra food from the fishing boats) as getting food from the tiles adjacent to the sea resource that other civs can't get, so the Maori get to claim those tiles for themselves.

Chopping is different from harvesting - the bulldozer vs the scythe in the UI. So you can't harvest bonus resources as the Maori, but I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to take out forest and rainforest.

Now, will we be able to create national parks that include water tiles? How about a different orientation besides diamond? :please:

Not hills.

Tchuli, Elhoim, DWilson and 5 others like this.
  7. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Warlord

My first impression is that they are likely a Tier 2 civ. T3 might be appropriate as well, once all the other leaders are released, but these guys are only situationally strong. On a fractal or islands map, they will be a beast. The amount of food they can grow with fisheries is very powerful like someone else mentioned. You would have to turn off the Improved Sea Resources mod if you want to play with them or against them. They may also be quite strong on a Continents or even Pangaea map if they start on a corner off the coast.

They will be good for early game domination. Their strong start is alot like taking the game difficulty down a notch. A deity game is going to feel like an Immortal or Emperor game. With those extra hammers, you could rush those warriors out and some archers and swallow the closest neighbor with more breathing room than usual. If they take the forge pantheon, it will be even nastier. A real pain train indeed like Sumeria.

They might be geared towards culture victory, but that will be a slow one with no writing. I think you can forget about a Turn ~200 culture victory with no writing. Culture victories need accumulated tourism as early as you can get it. One reason why Kongo and Russia are so good at culture victory is because they get writers very fast and often. The Maori extra tourism modifier of +2 comes only at flight. That's too late to be worth the lack of great writings. I suppose you could go to war at take other people's writings but you can do that with all other civs.

8. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Same goes for the Kongo, they never wrote before the Europeans arrived. Yet they get increased GW generation.....

Nope, only in Mesoamerica did true writing systems existed.

CivLuvah, TahamiTsunami and nzcamel like this.
  9. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

They feel like civ V Spain, only less gamey, in the sense that you've got time to find a good spot to settle and get population and worker as catch up. I imagine the ideal with Maori would be to rapid expand early game to get as many feature rich areas and natural wonders as you can, they will probably be very good at sniping coastal CS with natural wonders.

I imagine a better idea with them than just straight up domination would be to play the diplomatic game, Maori will surely have a foothold in every continents and a navy to back it, you could go around the world liberating CS and civs to rank up those diplo favor and use them to control the late game in your favor.

10. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Warlord

Wait, that’s their solution? That seems like their bonuses are really gonna contradict each other. You get bonus yields from rivers, but you want to build things that negate tile yields? Hopefully they improve the percentages on the ability as well...

Back on subject for the Maōri though, man oh man am I excited! Polynesia was my favorite Civ to play in Civ V, and this just seems like a more fleshed out version of that Civ. Scotland is my current favorite in VI, but that seems subject to change.

TahamiTsunami and nzcamel like this.
  11. Kjimmet

Kjimmet Chieftain

Oh, we will - I mean - we WON'T find anything :mischief:

12. Josephias

Josephias King

Unles you count Colonization as part of the series :)

Harlequeen and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I hope they won't stay the only civ that comes with techs researched at the beginning. I think Egypt could easily be buffed when giving them pottery and irrigation for example.

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

It could be a fairly easy way to balance some civs.

15. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

You ever play as Indonesia on an inland sea map? Some of the craziest starts I've ever gotten.

TahamiTsunami and Hakan-i Cihan like this.
  16. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Or being able to work floodtiles even if it has a wonder on it.

17. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

It would be an easy fix; but I hope they don't leap at that.

SammyKhalifa and TahamiTsunami like this.
  18. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Prince

The game already works this way. Leaders have a blacklist of secret agendas that they can never get. Specifically ones that are either the same as their historical agenda or the exact opposite.

TahamiTsunami and nzcamel like this.
  19. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Also one of the dumbest Firaxis attempts at a resource feature ever implemented.

20. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

I saw this Chichen Itza image post on Reddit and it got me thinking...
    Spoiler :
    3lb9s1qrq2221.jpg

I wonder if the Maori can scour the ocean looking for the perfect spot, build a Marae, beat the AI to guilds and build the Chichen Itza. Now those would be some yields!